C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't program FOB

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default can't program FOB

I've searched, found and read most of the threads that deal with programming fobs. Some are really detailed and long (which is a good thing) I'm just letting you guys know that I tried first before starting a new thread.

06 c6 coupe
changed battery out and went through the 10 minute wait (3x) and got the first one programmed and since the manual stated that this would erase all other remotes, I got the other one and when I placed it into the compartment slot the DIC reads "Known FOB" then "ready for FOB #3". I remove it, and it still reads "ready for FOB #3", when I try to start car, states "no FOB detected"

I've tried starting from scratch, doing the key above plate 5 times, then car reads "ready for FOB #3"

I've tried using good remote, getting into car, turning on "accessories" then hitting lock and unlock at the same time and I get a chime, but the dic readout is just "accessory mode"

I've read in forum where you can go through your options until you see a blank section, the hold down lock and unlock buttons to program FOB, but when I cycle through all of the "options" there never is a blank section.

Help please!

I also do the following (which is a quote from this forum from a guy who apparently knows alot about programming)

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

one thing that is different is that my fob is not a "new" one so to speak, it's just been erased from my programming the other fob when changing out battery. Also, I can get to item 8 on the list, but the DIC then reads "kown FOB"....then "ready for FOB #3"....then "known FOB"

Last edited by Prodago; 03-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

First, pushing lock and unlock at the same time is part of the procedure to re-program the tire pressure sensor system, not the fob system. Take a look at this thread from the FAQ section, it is very long and has lots of tricks besides the instruction set at the beginning.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

thanks,
I see where the car see's my fob as a known fob, but the fob doesn't work, just replaced battery......
Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Prodago
thanks,
I see where the car see's my fob as a known fob, but the fob doesn't work, just replaced battery......
Try using all the buttons on the fob, open the trunk ,etc. It may kick it in the rear end and get it going. Then put it away and wait till tomorrow, you may find it works then.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:01 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

It can be a PITA...I know mine was.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...06 c6 coupe
changed battery out and went through the 10 minute wait (3x) and got the first one programmed...
I'm guessing you replaced the battery because you had fob problems.

Water Under The Bridge: After battery replacement, there is absolutely NO need to re-program an existing fob.

Some possibilities:

-- Maybe you installed the fob battery wrong.

-- Be sure to use a smooth-sided fob battery... not a grid-sided battery, like Rayovac, which might cause an incomplete connection and intermittent function.

-- An old/weak/dying CAR battery can cause weird electric problems.

-- Maybe the fob is damaged... seems like they about as indestructible as a cell phone.

-- Any work done near/behind the radio? Maybe a loose ground or something related to the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver). This module wirelessly connects the fob to the car. Less likely, the RCDLR is faulty.

This is resolvable. Let us know what finally fixes it.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
I'm guessing you replaced the battery because you had fob problems.

[B
this all started because DIC said "no fobs detected" yesterday at a local store, happened to be walgreens, so I assumed the battery was dyinig so I bought new ones and changed it out but that didn't work. I finally lucked out in getting car started (can't remember exact procedure cause alot has happened since then) regardless, I was able to start car and drive home. it's then that I found the "battery changing procedure" in manual. So I proceeded and that's when it popped up that I had to do the 10 minute thing, which I did. However today I noticed that I had reprogrammed remote #2 (i was wondering why it kept moving my seat to my wife's position).
The weird thing is that I bought a 2nd remote and programmed it without any problems about a year ago, I certainly didn't have to go thru the 3-10 minute cycles (that I would have remembered!)

this is where it stands:
#1 - the #2 FOB is programmed and in working order
#2 - the #1 FOB used to work and is the one that went out, but after replacing battery and failed attempt at reprograming, it does not work
Old 03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...this is where it stands:
#1 - the #2 FOB is programmed and in working order
#2 - the #1 FOB used to work and is the one that went out, but after replacing battery and failed attempt at reprograming, it does not work
Since fob #2 works, there is obviously something wrong with fob #1.

Try This: Put fob #1 in the glovebox slot. Even if the fob battery is dead, the car should detect the fob. And you should be able to start the car and operate it like normal.

If it doesn't detect the fob in the slot, the fob is probably damaged.

I don't imagine your programming efforts damaged fob #1 -- or else they would've also damaged #2. But I suppose anything's possible.

Not trying to insult you, but make sure you put it in oriently correctly:

Old 03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

hi and thanks for all the replies, no I'm not insulted at the slightest. Yes, I put #1 FOB in the slot as you show in pic and the DIC did in fact recognize it as a "known FOB"....it just doesn't work....
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 PM
fleetc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery is upside down. Trust me. Been there, and beat myself silly over it.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fleetc
The battery is upside down. Trust me. Been there, and beat myself silly over it.
you had me doubting myself, so I checked..Battery is installed Pos. side down. Same as the working one.
that would have too easy...

Last edited by Prodago; 03-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
13GSCGvette
Heel & Toe

I've searched, found and read most of the threads that deal with programming fobs. Some are really detailed and long (which is a good thing) I'm just letting you guys know that I tried first before starting a new thread.

06 c6 coupe
changed battery out and went through the 10 minute wait (3x) and got the first one programmed and since the manual stated that this would erase all other remotes, I got the other one and when I placed it into the compartment slot the DIC reads "Known FOB" then "ready for FOB #3". I remove it, and it still reads "ready for FOB #3", when I try to start car, states "no FOB detected"

I've tried starting from scratch, doing the key above plate 5 times, then car reads "ready for FOB #3"

I've tried using good remote, getting into car, turning on "accessories" then hitting lock and unlock at the same time and I get a chime, but the dic readout is just "accessory mode"

I've read in forum where you can go through your options until you see a blank section, the hold down lock and unlock buttons to program FOB, but when I cycle through all of the "options" there never is a blank section.

Help please!

I also do the following (which is a quote from this forum from a guy who apparently knows alot about programming)

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

one thing that is different is that my fob is not a "new" one so to speak, it's just been erased from my programming the other fob when changing out battery. Also, I can get to item 8 on the list, but the DIC then reads "kown FOB"....then "ready for FOB #3"....then "known FOB"
At least your car goes into programing mode unlike mine
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by my07redvette
At least your car goes into programing mode unlike mine
I can only speak for my 05 c6 model, but you have to have your trunk closed and then open it with the key above the plate (I don't think there's a time limit, in my experience it's just that you have to use the key to open hatch) then within 5 seconds turn the key 5 times. Sometimes I have to do this several times to get the timing down. Or maybe I didn't turn it all the way, but you should get a chime and DIC should be in program mode.
Hope this helps...the one thing people need to keep in mind is that when your DIC says no fob detected, you can place your fob in compartment slot and start your car. However, since this doesn't happen very often and I don't have this memorized the first thing I do is freak out, then panic.....

I'm about to the point the I'm just gonna pay dealer to do it all and buy the hemerroid cream to soothe my butt!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Does anyone have any reason why the car would recognize fob #1(the one that quit working) as "Known fob", but doesn't work???
I went through the 3-10min cycle but in my haste I didn't realize that I was programming the #2 fob. I did read where if you do this procedure then all other fob programming will be erased ergo the reason I'm trying to re-programm #1 fob.
thanks for all the input
Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Does anyone have any reason why the car would recognize fob #1(the one that quit working) as "Known fob", but doesn't work???
I went through the 3-10min cycle but in my haste I didn't realize that I was programming the #2 fob. I did read where if you do this procedure then all other fob programming will be erased ergo the reason I'm trying to re-programm #1 fob.
thanks for all the input
Yes, those symptoms are absolutely consistent with a fob that is not being powered by a battery. If the car sees the fob in the slot as "known fob", then the issue is not programming related. For any number of reasons, the fob is not receiving power from its' battery.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Thanks Cclive. I will attack it from that aspect now. It's weird because I bought 4 new batteries at Walgreens and I'm sure I replaced the old one. I'll deinitely pay attention as to which battery I am putting in one that's giving me fits. Maybe time for new FOB.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
13GSCGvette
Heel & Toe

I can only speak for my 05 c6 model, but you have to have your trunk closed and then open it with the key above the plate (I don't think there's a time limit, in my experience it's just that you have to use the key to open hatch) then within 5 seconds turn the key 5 times. Sometimes I have to do this several times to get the timing down. Or maybe I didn't turn it all the way, but you should get a chime and DIC should be in program mode.
Hope this helps...the one thing people need to keep in mind is that when your DIC says no fob detected, you can place your fob in compartment slot and start your car. However, since this doesn't happen very often and I don't have this memorized the first thing I do is freak out, then panic.....

I'm about to the point the I'm just gonna pay dealer to do it all and buy the hemerroid cream to soothe my butt!
Mine is an 07 and that's what I do, open the hatch with the key and do the 5 times/5 sec thing but never get a chime to indicate it's in programming mode so I'll also be getting the dealer to do it when I take it in for the state inspection.

Get notified of new replies

To can't program FOB

Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had a replacement FOB 2 that got programmed as FOB 3 so I wanted to go through the long process to make it FOB 2 and make sure the old FOB 2 wouldn't be able to start the car if anybody had it. I went through all of the iterations described in the manual, on the forum and gave up and took it to the dealer. They said they got it programmed and when I checked it still wasn't FOB 2. Told them I would come back. Took two days to get it changed but they finally got it changed. Didn't charge me anything.

Bill
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Thanks Cclive. I will attack it from that aspect now. It's weird because I bought 4 new batteries at Walgreens and I'm sure I replaced the old one. I'll deinitely pay attention as to which battery I am putting in one that's giving me fits. Maybe time for new FOB.
And of course, the fob could simply be bad...but...it is responding properly to the query from the car because the car is saying "KNOWN FOB". If I take the battery out of my fob, it will act exactly as you have described yours. Many, mine included (but not all) C6s will recognize a good fob in the glovebox slot even when that fob contains no battery. Check that battery voltage and the contacts in the fob. Check the battery voltage when the battery is installed in the fob, before closing the fob up.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Prodago
Burning Brakes

Problem solved!!!!
first of all I want to thank all of you guys (and gals?) that participated in this thread. Quite a few of you were right when figuring it had something to do with the battery. What kept puzzling me was I know (pretty sure) that it had a good battery because I bought 4 that day and replaced old one. I never tested it, which was my next step until I read Cclive's latest post about DIC reading "known FOB" and battery still be dead.
In my haste I had opened and re-opened both of the FOB cases. In one FOB, the battery holder came out and I put it back in place (or so I thought) then commenced the fighting, grumbling, texting, posting programming attempts over and over to no avail. Then after reading Cclive's post a light went off, then an imaginary hand slapped me. opened the remote and never even paid attention to the fact that the little prongs coming off the pos side of battery were touching nothing! I had the dang battery case in the wrong position. Works like a charm and now I don't have to keep getting squished into the dash because I've been using wife's programmed remote.
One thing still puzzles me. I did in fact go through the initial re-programming....the long version too. 3-10 minute cycles. The manual claims that by doing this all other remotes will be erased, however as soon as I placed the battery correctly the old (first FOB) worked fine..

And two more things, sorry for being wordy (wife hates it!)
1)but am I right in assuming that when FOB battery goes out, you can simply put it in glove box slot and drive like usual???
2)when changing batteries out, you simply change battery and NO reprogramming is required??
thanks so much for all the intel guys
have a wonderful day (I'm about to get hammered with rain here in Beaumont, TX)
John

Quick Reply: can't program FOB