C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW! RPI Z06/GS Front Splash Guards - Long Awaited!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Kiser64
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kiser64
I told Josh I’d put some actual installed pics in this thread for you guys when I receive my SGs.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Josh I sent you a PM!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Kiser64
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Josh, email from me in your inbox!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
RPI Designs
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16 -'17

Originally Posted by Kiser64
Josh, email from me in your inbox!
You've got mail.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good and a good price!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:20 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

I'm on the list

I asked Josh some questions, here are his answers.

1. These are solid black fiberglass. These have a clear protective film to resist any chips.
2. These require you to drill new holes.
3. Yes, 2 year warranty against mfg defects.
4. Yes, these will match the same color of the rear splash guards. Pic was a very first proto-type.

I assume you can figure out the questions.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM
CRG517
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only suggestion I would have is if it would be possible to make the guard more similar to the factory rear design so that the guard does not overlap onto the paint eliminating possible scuffing of paint as some have complained of even with the rubber gasket installed.

Another suggestion if above design change is not possible is to offer an ordering option of precut clear guard pieces (3m, Ventureshield, Expel, etc) to install before mounting the guards - I think this would be very helpful to alot of people who are apprehensive of ordering not wanting to deal with the possibility of scuffing (even w/ the rubber gasket) or having to find someone to install small pieces of clear guard before attaching - if these precut pieces were available it would be an easy DIY without the hassle of making templates, finding a small amount of clear guard, cutting, etc.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CRG517
The only suggestion I would have is if it would be possible to make the guard more similar to the factory rear design so that the guard does not overlap onto the paint eliminating possible scuffing of paint as some have complained of even with the rubber gasket installed.

Another suggestion if above design change is not possible is to offer an ordering option of precut clear guard pieces (3m, Ventureshield, Expel, etc) to install before mounting the guards - I think this would be very helpful to alot of people who are apprehensive of ordering not wanting to deal with the possibility of scuffing (even w/ the rubber gasket) or having to find someone to install small pieces of clear guard before attaching - if these precut pieces were available it would be an easy DIY without the hassle of making templates, finding a small amount of clear guard, cutting, etc.
Would make a great kit.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

That’s a great idea…I’ve got a roll of the 3M stuff already. Shouldn’t be too difficult to use the SG as a template and trace out a 3M strip to apply to the fender beneath the SG prior to installation.

Probably give me time for an extra beer during install.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

look at the OEM fender liner first, unless you modify the liner, it is impossible to avoid the overlap. You would have to trim the top section and then trim again at the outer edge. This is not that tough to do but you would have to be consistent in the way you trim it to make a mass produced guards fit the cars in exactly the same way.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

A comment regarding matching the rear guards: the RPI guards look a lot like Apsis counterparts, they are too rounded off in profile and along the edges to match well. To get a match, the guards would have to be flatter and with more angular crossections. They do not look bad but do not match the rears.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
g-townmach
Racer

Awesome! Now if you'd only came out with these a year ago you'd have saved me some rock chips.

I refuse to pay the rediculous price that apsis sells theirs for. $199 is MUCH more manageable.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any update on these or additional pics?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 AM
Venom_C6
Racer

Very interested also
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm Interested but I'll
Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting, but I wish the splash guard guys would understand that it is as much about the guard extending BELOW the vehicle as it is extending out the sides of the vehicle. The biggest problem is protecting the rear half of the rockers, these, along with my GM splashguards really do nothing to protect this area.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW! RPI Z06/GS Front Splash Guards - Long Awaited!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Beatitt
Interesting, but I wish the splash guard guys would understand that it is as much about the guard extending BELOW the vehicle as it is extending out the sides of the vehicle. The biggest problem is protecting the rear half of the rockers, these, along with my GM splashguards really do nothing to protect this area.
Splash guards on the C6 will always be a compromise…either function or looks (design for one at the detriment of the other). If designed to be 100% effective, they look terrible on the car. That may be alright with some people, but I don’t think manufacturers will sell many ugly SGs.

Hopefully Josh is still on schedule to start shipping the first SG sets by the 16th. He said that’s what he’s doing, so I haven’t bugged him about it. Until that target passes, I’ll assume everything is on schedule.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

Before I buy anything, I want to see these things installed on a car. I would like to see the front view from an angle just to see how much is actually sticking out and how big they actually look. Even the Apsis ones look good from the rear, but I owned a set and they look horrible from the front. All you see is this huge piece of plastic behind the wheel.

When they are available, lets see some installed pics.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stan0324
When they are available, lets see some installed pics.
I have one of the first sets coming…they’ll be installed as soon as I receive them and pics will be posted here (unless I absolutely don’t like ‘em when I see ‘em, but I’m hoping that’s not the case).

Quick Reply: NEW! RPI Z06/GS Front Splash Guards - Long Awaited!