C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CAI for new GS purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Best CAI for new GS purchase?

I had a vararam in my 07 coupe. I bought it used for like $200 so it was worth it. Can't justify spending over $400 on something that promises increased HP blah blah blah and when you install it it's barely noticeable. I was thinking of just going with a LS7 air intake to eliminate the ugly silencer box. Cheap option and might just buy a hi flow filter. Any suggestions Do's or Don'ts to avoid?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I'm kinda with you on this. I don't think the claimed hp is worth the expense or even having to get it tuned for it and causing a warranty problem. The stock filter actually works pretty good. I've got down to a 12.40 on my GS totally stock and it's now kinda my goal just to see how far a 11 GS A6 and with NPP and a M2W switch can go. I'm hoping for an 11 in the 1/4 and a 7 anything in the 1/8 th. It's not gonna be easy, the orig tires need an experienced driver to not just blow them away. The TC on just leaves too soft. So far my best 1/8th is a 8.10. Most cars running 12.40's are around 7.90's already.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 03-21-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look for a Z06 take-off filter and air bridge/horn. Parts for Sale forum here, eBay. If all you're going to do is a CAI, why spend close to $400.00, the Z06 filter and air bridge/horn is very good. Plus it does away with that large silencer box attached to the air bridge/horn.

Stock;

Z06 air bridge/horn & filter;

Now, if you're planning on other engine mods then you might want to think about an aftermarket CAI for a bigger boost in hp than the Z06 piece. But if no other engine mods are planned, save some money and go with a Z06 take-off.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

CAI (cold air intake) The only choice would be a Vararam.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Nothing wrong with your stock air breather, but if you want to get rid of the box, go with a Z06 air breather. Both the LS3 and LS7 both use a high flow/ultra high filtration Donaldson PowerCore filter element. If that filter will let 427 ci breathe at 7,000 RPM, then it should easily take care of 376 ci at 6,500 RPM. If you do feel that the stock filter element isn't enough, then go with the filter element from a ZR1, that will fit in the LS3/LS7 air breather and will flow a little more air, yet clean the air(It's also a Donaldson PowerCore). Dyno test have shown the ZR1 filter element will increase HP by around 4 HP on a LS7/Z06 and they cost around $125. On a LS3, I doubt that you would see 2 HP(if that) increase.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
CAI (cold air intake) The only choice would be a Vararam.
mine has been a helluva lot more than barely noticable since day 1,6yrs ago... especially over 140mph
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Mach 2.....much better looking if nothing else!

Who sells these new other than the dealer?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Mach2
Drifting

A lot of shops that have a chassis dyno and do mods to Corvettes have take-off Z06 air intake/horn & filter, when folks upgrade to aftermarket CAI's. I got mine from a performance shop at a Chevy Dealership here in Las Vegas.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

OP you are on the right track. Unless someone is planning big mods, and tunning the engine, leave the stock system as is, or as you mention just upgrade to Z06 style equipment for a lot cheaper and be done with it.

No offense to these CAI companys, but they have mad a TON of money of a lot of people, all who after a while realized they blew 400+ to pick up all of about 10HP if they are lucky again assuming stock tune.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
OP you are on the right track. Unless someone is planning big mods, and tunning the engine, leave the stock system as is, or as you mention just upgrade to Z06 style equipment for a lot cheaper and be done with it.

No offense to these CAI companys, but they have mad a TON of money of a lot of people, all who after a while realized they blew 400+ to pick up all of about 10HP if they are lucky again assuming stock tune.

He is right. About 10HP max is all anyone can hope to gain with a CAI and no other mods. Plus CAI introduce possible water infiltration issues. IMO there is just no bang for the buck justification. Switching to a take-off Z06 system on the cheap makes sense if anything.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course the G/S has the same intake system as any other LS3 since 2008, and a so-called "cold air intake" is just as useless on a Grand Sport as any other LS3 Vette because (1) it doesn't take in any colder air than the stock system, and (2) many introduce the real possibility of injesting road spray and hydrolocking the engine, thus destroying it. It is a "snake oil" mod.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Of course the G/S has the same intake system as any other LS3 since 2008, and a so-called "cold air intake" is just as useless on a Grand Sport as any other LS3 Vette because (1) it doesn't take in any colder air than the stock system, and (2) many introduce the real possibility of injesting road spray and hydrolocking the engine, thus destroying it. It is a "snake oil" mod.
Let's not go too far here either.. the Halltech and Vararam both DO in fact get cooler air to the engine (people have data logged IAT to back that up) and *with* tune people have picked up some decent gains on the dyno and track..I;ve seen gains of 20-30HP with a TRUE CAI on a TUNED engine...but again CAI+Tune and you are talking close to 1k ..and is that justified to pick up 20-30HP? To each persons wallet it varies.

secondly, quite frankly (no pun ha ha) the cases I;ve seen here of people who hydrolocked a motor from a CAI...would have locked the motor with the stock unit regardless.. driving through a puddle anywhere over the lip up to middle of the wheel deeper is just plain moronic and will lock any motor with any intake

In fact, if you knew anything about the Halltech unit for example...it sits in the SAME spot as the stock filter anyway

again on otherwise stock car, stock tune and minimal bolt ons, leave the intake alone
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the Attack Blue from TKO Performance. Talk to ED, he will tell you all about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sort of disagree... you say its not worth $400 to gain 10hp.. well lets multiply that by x10

So we are now spending $4000 to gain 100 hp I'd do that any day of the week..

Take a supercharger to buy & have one installed we're looking at app $10,000 + or - $1000 and the gain is about 150 hp (just my guess)

I spent over $1500 for a set of catted KOOKS and $400 for a Vararam CAI + $xxx for a tune..thats all I've done total expense is about $2400 and I only make 390 hp on a dyno.. & to be "HONEST" I DON'T CARE what HP it makes as long as it will give me good # at the track..

So far my best ET is 11.98 @ 117 mph.... but to be honest that run was made in "KILLER NJ AIR" in the warmer weather I'll probably run 12.30 + or - ... Bottom line $400 for 10 "HONEST" HP is a good deal in my eyes..

I just thought of this and added it after I posted....please give me an "honest" reply..

How much $$ do you think Warren Johnson, or Greg Anderson, or Jeggs, would "PAY" to gain 10 more HP!!!!

Last edited by jpee; 03-21-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not go too far here either.. the Halltech and Vararam both DO in fact get cooler air to the engine (people have data logged IAT to back that up) and *with* tune people have picked up some decent gains on the dyno and track..I;ve seen gains of 20-30HP with a TRUE CAI on a TUNED engine...but again CAI+Tune and you are talking close to 1k ..and is that justified to pick up 20-30HP? To each persons wallet it varies.

secondly, quite frankly (no pun ha ha) the cases I;ve seen here of people who hydrolocked a motor from a CAI...would have locked the motor with the stock unit regardless.. driving through a puddle anywhere over the lip up to middle of the wheel deeper is just plain moronic and will lock any motor with any intake

In fact, if you knew anything about the Halltech unit for example...it sits in the SAME spot as the stock filter anyway

again on otherwise stock car, stock tune and minimal bolt ons, leave the intake alone
Make up your mind; if the Halltech unit sits in the same spot as the stock unit why would the air be any colder. As far as other units are concerned, where is the air warmest? Close to the steaming hot pavement, that's where. And while I've seen numerous reports about hydrolocking their engines with an aftermarker CAI, I've never seen a report where someone did this with their stock system. You've seen decent increases with a CAI plus a "tune". Who says the same gains couldn't be achieved with a stock intake system and a "tune"? As long as you are willing to chance shortened engine life you can pick up a few poney power, but is it worth it? Not at all.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpee
.....How much $$ do you think Warren Johnson, or Greg Anderson, or Jeggs, would "PAY" to gain 10 more HP!!!!
Come on John. When those guys are making almost 1000 hp, they're looking for 3 or 4 more. If one of them came up with something that gave em another 10 hp, they'd own the Pro Stock class for the rest of the year. That's Stupid Money for Horsepower racing, NHRA Pro Stock racing.

I think the best Bang for the Buck on the street is $450.00 for 110-125 hp. Nitrous Oxide, but it's a pain in the patuty getting the bottle filled, warm the bottle prior to racing, purging the system, etc. But it's a nice hp gain for the $$$.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I also did not like the silencer box and bought a used Airaid and like the look even if it is not any better than the stocker

Get notified of new replies

To Best CAI for new GS purchase?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
check out the Attack Blue from TKO Performance. Talk to ED, he will tell you all about it.
I'm starting to think your his silent partner
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Make up your mind; if the Halltech unit sits in the same spot as the stock unit why would the air be any colder. As far as other units are concerned, where is the air warmest? Close to the steaming hot pavement, that's where. And while I've seen numerous reports about hydrolocking their engines with an aftermarker CAI, I've never seen a report where someone did this with their stock system. You've seen decent increases with a CAI plus a "tune". Who says the same gains couldn't be achieved with a stock intake system and a "tune"? As long as you are willing to chance shortened engine life you can pick up a few poney power, but is it worth it? Not at all.
I don't need to make up my mind...you need to learn to read better. I clearly stated 2 points

1- stock tune, stock car or minimal mods..leave the stock intake

2- tuning the car there are some gains to be had with a true CAI, one has to justify if to their own wallet the gain is worth the $$ no right or wrong answer there.

Now jack, please don't tell me you actually believe the air is warmer coming off the "steaming hot" pavement than that of the air trapped under the hood of an engine thats been running for any given period of time To begin with , air is not coming off the pavement, its coming through the naca duct that the Z cars and GS cars have... I am not even going further than that if you can't even figure that out...and believe ambient temp air is warmer than heatsoaked air under the hood

Lastly, as I said, you havent really even looked at Halltechs products..... Halltech filter sits in the same spot as stock filter, the BIG difference is the cover that isolates the entire area of the filter and surrounding area as well...known as the "beehive" that keeps IAT temps down , and the filter is protected from the heatsoak of the engine.

I never stated I'd seen stock motors hydrolock...go back and re-read what I wrote.

Last edited by FrankTank; 03-21-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Thanks everyone. I agree with most that a cai is useless for stock setups for street driving. Yes i am looking for moe power but will not pick up anything noticeable with a CAI. I am not gonna mod the engine for at least 2-3 years. Maybe a set of headers but doubt it. I bought a z06 intake with filter for like 90$ on the forum and I will go that route for now. I liked the idea above about buying a ZR1 filter

Last edited by studiovette; 03-21-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Best CAI for new GS purchase?