C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you test drive a vette before purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine sight unseen. First drive was to the house after signing the papers.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Really, why test drive a new Vette? You get behind the wheel, press the gas pedal, start smiling like a little kid, instantly hooked and seal the deal. You would or should have done your homework before the visit. Oh, and what did you take the test drive for?, I forgot.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM
wombats777
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-17-'18-'19, '21,'24

I test drove one. If the dealer says no, find another dealer.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought mine the salesman, Joey at Criswell, practically insisted on taking as many on a test drive as I wanted. I know at some point they must have run my credit, but I don't think they would have time before I got behind the wheel. My car at that point had 5 miles on it, 17after the test drive. I don't think I could buy a car without test driving it just to make sure the "fit" was there.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM
daho06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every dealer I went to last year allowed me to test drive the vette I was interested in it didn't matter new or used. Not once did I have a salesman ride along. The car I bought I bought over the internet and phone, but it was with a test drive provision. I drove 3 hours to look at it, walked in introduced myself and the salesman said " keys are in it let me know when you get back"
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by basacowan
Really, why test drive a new Vette? You get behind the wheel, press the gas pedal, start smiling like a little kid, instantly hooked and seal the deal. You would or should have done your homework before the visit. Oh, and what did you take the test drive for?, I forgot.
I test drove mine becasue I did not think I would buy an automatic. However the paddles provide some fun so I did buy it. My current '08 is an MN6. I test drove it too.

Last edited by bonnell; 04-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I had no problem getting a test drive at the first dealer I went to, the unfortunate thing is that they would not budge from the list price so they lost the deal to another dealer.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The C6 isn't a new model. I hope dealerships are past that no test drive garbage. That philosophy cost my dealership a sale. When I bought my 2005 the C6 was still a fairly new model. I found the exact C6 I wanted in the dealership showroom but the sales vulture said they literally needed a signed contract before a test drive. Then he really pissed me off....he said we'll push it outside and let you start it. I almost called the owner at home (whom I somewhat know) to ask for permission to take a test drive but instead I said screw it! From the dealership parking lot I called the car broker I often use and ordered the exact same car...no deposit, no paperwork and no hassles. I tell him what I want and he gets it. My new Corvette arrived 30 days later!

A month or so later I had my new Corvette in the service line at the dealership (to fix the OnStar microphone). The same salesman saw me and ran over to ask it I was still interested in a Corvette. I pointed to my new C6 and said you really should have let me take a test drive. He got the point.

I can understand the dealership not wanting to turn new units into high mileage units but you'd think they would be savvy enough to ferret out the tire-kickers and know who their 'serious' customers are (especially customers who've bought many vehicles at the same dealership). I won't elaborate but generally speaking I hate the dealership sales experience.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Back in the day I use to sell Chevy for a major dealer in my area. You may or may not be surprised at the number of people who would show up wanting to "test drive" a Corvette because they were "thinking about buying one". 95% bull shxt. Many in that group didn't have good enough credit or income to buy a used Colorado pick up fresh from the auction let alone a new Vette. No the dealer is not going to give that guy the keys to a new 70K + Corvette. Would you want to buy a "new" Corvette that someone you don't know has farted in and been driving up and down the road checking out what it will do. I wouldn't. However, the dealership wants to sell cars. If you want to drive a new Corvette you might buy of course you can get your test drive. The sales guy walking the lot might not be able to get it done for you and you might have to talk with one of the team leaders or managers. They just want to be sure you have real interest and can buy the car. If you have a corvette no harm in driving it to the dealership and let them see you are a Corvette guy. There are two sides to this coin.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

When the C5's came out, they were in very short supply at the dealers. I test drove one in May 2007 at Reliable Chevrolet. Drove in their lot in my Cadillac.
I also test drove a C6 about a month after they were placed in production, August 2004. Again at Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield, MO. Drove in their lot in my C5.

When I purchased my 09 Z06 in July 2008 I didn't need to take a test drive. I knew what I wanted. Drove the car home, right off their showroom floor.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

I've bought all three of mine without a test drive...though I was offered a test drive on my last one. I just told them not I know how it drives...The salesman looked at me like wuuuut?

like others have said, depends on dealer...what you look like, credit, what you drove in etc...
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM
daho06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Back in the day I use to sell Chevy for a major dealer in my area. You may or may not be surprised at the number of people who would show up wanting to "test drive" a Corvette because they were "thinking about buying one". 95% bull shxt. Many in that group didn't have good enough credit or income to buy a used Colorado pick up fresh from the auction let alone a new Vette. No the dealer is not going to give that guy the keys to a new 70K + Corvette. Would you want to buy a "new" Corvette that someone you don't know has farted in and been driving up and down the road checking out what it will do. I wouldn't. However, the dealership wants to sell cars. If you want to drive a new Corvette you might buy of course you can get your test drive. The sales guy walking the lot might not be able to get it done for you and you might have to talk with one of the team leaders or managers. They just want to be sure you have real interest and can buy the car. If you have a corvette no harm in driving it to the dealership and let them see you are a Corvette guy. There are two sides to this coin.
Yes there are two sides, but making assumptions has ruined more deals than you can imagine. Back when I owned my first vette, a 73 convertible, I stopped at a local dealer to look at new 81. I was driving my work car, the salesman made an assumption based on apperance so I could not even get the time of day. Went back the next day in the vette and he fell all over himself trying to get me into a car. I just told him he should have tried harder the first day. I left and never went back to that dealer.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

the dealer where I bought mine didn't offer me a test drive, but I didn't care. I previously drove an LS1 Camaro and knew that the GS would be so much nicer. After the paperwork was getting started the salesman took it out of the showroom for me and we went out for a spin.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I surmise dealers have had a change of heart on this. My salesperson took mine off the show room floor to let me test drive it. I drove about 10 miles out I-40, then took Old Rt 66 back. Great experience, especially when the driver of a silver Corvette gave me a wave as I made the transition. A drive home to be sure the Corvette was a proper fit in the garage. It passed all the tests so I just had to give it a good home.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hard for me to buy a car I haven't driven but I guess you face the same problem ordering one.

In Tampa, the only Vettes that are off limits for test drives at the Chevy dealerships are the ZR1s.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I was able to drive a base 1LT coupe in 2008 that they wanted to get off the lot here in San Diego. That sales guy was almost sure he was going to sell it to me that he even went through some of the post sale delivery instructions on how to operate everything. I ended up buying another '08 a couple of months later when incentives were better and from another out-of-state dealer that really wanted my 4x4 suv much more than most southern cali dealerships did.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Gil225
Intermediate

Some of us learn the "hard way", I bought myself a brand new Ford LTD off the showroom floor in 1965, pretty to look at, after a cross country trip to California dumped the dog. Other 1965's drove fine, mine was terrible. Never buy a car without taking it on a test drive,
they are not all the same. My 1996 Vette road worse than a Nisson pickup, the 2010 Vette with 24,000 miles is like a Screaming Eagle Harley ! Fantastic !

Get notified of new replies

To can you test drive a vette before purchase?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Default can you test drive a vette before purchase?

If I couldnt I wouldnt.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

High volume dealers treat it just like any other car. However if you purchase from a dealer that has very small allocations they will treat it like a limited edition Ferrari. You really can't blame them. I had a Mercedes that I drove to the dealer when I bought my first C6. No problem getting a test drive. But if you drive up in a beater you may have a problem going for a test drive.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree it depends on the dealership. And where some dealers shine on some things, they are lacking on others. I remember going into one dealership, which we really liked and they had quite a few Vettes. They just copied my driver's license and insurance card and let my wife and I take the brand new Vette (GS) out for a spin by ourselves. No time limit, no hassle. It already had 52 miles on it. We took it for about an hour the 1st time, and close to that a 2nd time too, but where they allowed us to drive it no problem, they seriously were lowballing me on my trade-in. It had over 100 miles on it when I was done. They were slow on lowering the price and finally when they called me to "please come back, we want your business" I was already driving off another dealership with my car.

Most of the other dealerships will let you drive it but they send the salesman (or saleslady) with you.

All in all I had a GREAT time test driving Vettes (about a dozen) both brand new and used before I picked my car.

Quick Reply: can you test drive a vette before purchase?