C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone put an NPP exhaust on an early model C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Has anyone put an NPP exhaust on an early model C6?

Was thinking about putting an NPP exhaust on my 06, which is an automatic. I think it will give me just about everything I want with an exhaust if I also did the mild-to-wild switch. I've looked at Corsa, Borla, B&B, etc. The NPP will give me the sound I want.

When I talked to two shops (both specialize in Corvettes) about installing an NPP exhaust on my car, the first question both asked was "manual or automatic?" One of the shops was like "I put one on 05 automatic and I will never do that again" and declined the job outright. The other said the labor cost would be too much and said he would put any other exhaust on there except an NPP.

Is there something about the setup of the early C6 automatics that makes that NPP a tough fit? I know it didn't become an option until 08 or later.

Is there a solution the two shops haven't thought of that makes it a little easier?

Also, if there is a vendor or a shop in Florida that someone knows of, I wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours to have it done by someone who has done it before.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

The shops on the for sure 06 and newer are after the quick $$ of a cutback change, not sure about the 05. To get the NPP exhaust you will need a NPP in a box and this takes 1-2 hours to install and that is it. The 08 NPP is a bolt on for older vettes, the 09 and new NPP mufflers are different and you need the x-pipe to complete the install.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
c74me
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found this post helpful and its what I ordered

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
NPP in a Box with free E-Z Tap (save $10) for the next 10 Orders, $179 + Shipping

E-Z TAP now for the LS2 and LS3 and exclusive to our NPP in a Box product!

E-Z Tap allows you to simply tap the vacuum from the front of the plenum in less than 3 minutes. No removing coil packs, busting knuckles or trying to access the back of the plenum. E-Z Tap make install a dream instead of a nightmare.

MUFFLERS NOT INCLUDED
GM Muffler parts numbers
2009 and up need
2008 and below need

Always 100% ZERO drain and you choose the startup mode HAVE IT START OPEN OR HAVE IT START CLOSED and can change it anytime. We guarantee this system to be the easiest to install and best engineered or your money back.

To order: http://www.qpcpv.com/topflightreproductions/index.html

Use what the PRO's use - Thanks to LG, ECS, Vette Doctors, Corvettes of Westchester, Corvettes of Houston and the many other Chevy Dealers for choosing this system to install in their customers cars, they demand the best and so should you. If you have any concerns or questions about the quality or ease of installation feel free to call them an see why NPP in a box is their choice.

VetteDoctors (Carmen) “Your NPP system is the best on the market. Very easy to install & your service is second to none.”
East Cost Supercharging(Chris) “We installed one last week and I must say the product was very well put together and a smooth install.. Thanks”
Corvettes of Westchester(Chuck) "I can't say enough about the NPP in a box PRODUCT! The kits are first rate! EVERYONE wants them! PRICE IS AWESOME!
SHIPPING IS ALMOST INSTANT! What more could you want!?!?"

1. The vacuum source off the motor had to be extremely simple to get. No removing coil packs or trying to access the back of the plenum and break off the unused vacuum line. It does not use the booster supply, so no worry there. On the LS2 /LS3 it will take you less than 5 min to install the vacuum tap (no tools needed) our innovation, approved and tested at vette doctors.

2. Want innovations, I did not just copy the GM system. I developed a 100% new system where the control is no bigger than a box of Twinkies. All parts are enclosed in the box (no separate controller to install) and will be located 100% in the car (rear storage hatch) with both the wireless control and the vacuum controls safely housed inside so you have no weather issues. The power supply is in a heavy double shielded cable, 5 min no tools and nothing to pop off or remove.

3. Cost is $179 and will include everything needed, you just supply the exhaust. You just install the vacuum tap, run the provided vacuum line from the motor to the rear, run and install the provided power harness, install the control box and hook up the vacuum lines. The whole system will draw less than ½ amp, have zero drain with the car off and start either open or close. It is not designed to work with the car2u visor yet but will have Mild2Wild built in or ask about a custom unit with a foot switch.

4.Designed to work with both the B&B and the GM NPP system that are installed in a retrofit configuration.

like to see what your getting? - here it is

Here is the complete process

NPP in a box, a set of NPP mufflers will give you an incredibly easy way to have just the sound you want, when you want, if you have a pre-2008 C6. In my case, throw in a set of LG headers, and you have rolling thunder at the flick of a switch. The combo of the headers and the NPP in Wild gives you AMAZING sound and “HEY, LOOK AT ME!!!” volume…the tonality and sound is that of a NASCAR stock car at WOT outside the car, yet quieter and less drone inside the car than the GHL exhaust I was so fond of. The install is very straight forward, easier with a lift, but as has shown, you can do it on jack stands. Here are some pics and descriptions of the step by step process; you will receive complete illustrated instructions with your purchase.

NPP Mufflers waiting for Install

Factory Exhaust Removed

Drilling a ¼” hole in the rear well

Run the Vacuum Tube though the hole

Run the Vacuum tubes through existing frame locations

After dropping the rear sway bar, snake the NPP mufflers up and over

Attach the pipes to the mufflers

Connect the vacuum hoses to the NPP mufflers

Make sure your muffler pipes are straight and level

Muffler hardware done and vacuum tubing run

Connect power cable to the Seat Heater Fuse

And of course, a quick hit with our Polishing kit

That's all there is to it.....All that's left is to go out there and have a blast with your new found customized sound.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ok...

I have a A6 06, and I put the NPP on from a 08, it just bolts on... The muffler shop did the swap in 45 min...$75... I did the Mild to Wild NPP in a box, in about an hour.
The people you talked to most likely tried to swap a Bi-Mode off a ZO6, they are NOT the same... The ZO6 has 3" pipes and does not fit on a Auto... NPP costs more as they are a direct bolt on, and have a solid pipe in the muffler, unlike the ZO6 which has a perferated pipe, and does not sound as good. I love mine...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

The shop you're talking to doesn't know what they're talking about or they've never done it or they don't know how to do it correctly

I put modified Z06 pulloffs on my '07 A6 and it took a few hours of work (and that included the mods to the mufflers to make 'em into "NPPs").

Cut the overaxle's off the stock system, weld 'em to the NPP's and it's a piece of cake
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
I have a A6 06, and I put the NPP on from a 08, it just bolts on... The muffler shop did the swap in 45 min...$75... I did the Mild to Wild NPP in a box, in about an hour.
The people you talked to most likely tried to swap a Bi-Mode off a ZO6, they are NOT the same... The ZO6 has 3" pipes and does not fit on a Auto... NPP costs more as they are a direct bolt on, and have a solid pipe in the muffler, unlike the ZO6 which has a perferated pipe, and does not sound as good. I love mine...
Easy job all the way around. See above

(oh and after the mod, they are 100% identical to NPP internally)
Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Easy job all the way around. See above

(oh and after the mod, they are 100% identical to NPP internally)
Does that mean my ZR1 Mufflers are the big boy NPP option
Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by peter pan
Does that mean my ZR1 Mufflers are the big boy NPP option
Gained 100 HP, eh?

(put Zaino on 'em and gain another 25!)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 AM
corvette4789
Intermediate

I have an 06 A6 and put the z06 bi mode on. All we did was cut the stock over axel pipes and welded to the z06 mufflers and re installed, cost $150 at local shop. He let me run the vaccum line while car was on lift and did the rest of the npp in my garage in 20 min. All in all it was very simple, i do regret going with z06 pipes instead of npp. The tips on the z06 are much nicer but not a huge gain in sound that i was looking for, so i will be going back to shop to do the mod on muffler to make the internals like the npp. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the NPP be installed without the vacuum hose? just have it turn on/off with switch?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
To get the NPP exhaust you will need a NPP in a box and this takes 1-2 hours to install and that is it.
Don't need that. All you need to do is run a vacuum hose to the intake.

You only need the NPP in a Box if you want to control it manually. It will work like it came from the factory just by running a small hose from the mufflers to a vacuum source on the intake.

The shop you're talking to doesn't know what they're talking about or they've never done it or they don't know how to do it correctly

Cut the overaxle's off the stock system, weld 'em to the NPP's and it's a piece of cake
You also don't need to cut the overaxle and do any welding. My shop installed a stock Z06 axle-back setup on my 07 A6 with no issue.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Was thinking about putting an NPP exhaust on my 06, which is an automatic. I think it will give me just about everything I want with an exhaust if I also did the mild-to-wild switch. I've looked at Corsa, Borla, B&B, etc. The NPP will give me the sound I want.

When I talked to two shops (both specialize in Corvettes) about installing an NPP exhaust on my car, the first question both asked was "manual or automatic?" One of the shops was like "I put one on 05 automatic and I will never do that again" and declined the job outright. The other said the labor cost would be too much and said he would put any other exhaust on there except an NPP.

Is there something about the setup of the early C6 automatics that makes that NPP a tough fit? I know it didn't become an option until 08 or later.

Is there a solution the two shops haven't thought of that makes it a little easier?

Also, if there is a vendor or a shop in Florida that someone knows of, I wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours to have it done by someone who has done it before.
antivenom in fla can do this their is one other shop that does vetts also name escapes me right now.
z51vett
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You also don't need to cut the overaxle and do any welding. My shop installed a stock Z06 axle-back setup on my 07 A6 with no issue.
How'd that do that as the Z06 mufflers are 3" pipe and the '07's are 2.5" and the clearance around the A6 is an issue?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

How'd that do that as the Z06 mufflers are 3" pipe and the '07's are 2.5" and the clearance around the A6 is an issue?
My mechanic had to dimple in a few areas of the over the axle pipe to get the 3" to clear the A6 and all is good for me
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I guess the clearance around the A6 really isn't that big of an issue
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Well I guess the clearance around the A6 really isn't that big of an issue
Exactly, I had no issues with my 07 A6. I later installed 1 7/8" Headers with a 3" to 2 1/2" crossover pipe to match the NPP exhaust and still had no fitment issues.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
michaelmyers
Instructor

I currently have a 06 A6 and I installed NPP mufflers off a 2012 a few months ago. I did have to cut some of the piping because it would not fix the stock h pipe. Right now it seems as the mufflers are just open at the moment. I still need to order npp in a box to close and open my mufflers. I thought it would be a lot louder, but its not. Is this normal? Im thinking of getting test pipes to get the sound I want.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone put an NPP exhaust on an early model C6?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM
07_C6_WPB
Racer

An '08 NPP will work perfectly fine with your trans and existing midpipe, an '09+ NPP will require a new midpipe (09 + but not the catted midpipe..I think that started in 2012).

The zo6 Bi-mode will not work without modification due to it being 3" pipes ...your midpipe is 2.5" and some have said the auto trans and pipes hit each other.

I have a NPP on my '07 with the MtoW kit. I did everything myself on jackstands and it was pretty easy. I am going to Zo6 manifolds, Zo6 mid pipe, B&B fusion exhaust in 2 weeks if you are interested in buying my NPP. I am in West Palm and will meet halfway, or drive it over to West Palm and we can install together.

NPP units are pretty desirable and are worth more than Zo6 bi-modes. Mine will be for sale for $800 plus shipping and I am fairly confident I will easily get that for them.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Emptydata
Intermediate

How do you get the pipe on the passenger side in place?

I have a 2005 Automatic and when I could not get it off - i would assume putting it back on would be the same deal??

Emptydata
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 AM
07_C6_WPB
Racer

Did you drop the sway bar? That makes it much easier, even on the manual trans.

Quick Reply: Has anyone put an NPP exhaust on an early model C6?