C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged.

Opinions?

Picked up a nail last week. Caused a slow leak in one of my rear stock runflats (low pressure on two mornings). Took it to the local Chev dealer first who said that their wheel balancer wasn't big enough. They referred me on to a local tire shop. Without even looking at the tire, that shop informed me that "Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged under any circumstances because they're high performance".

Now I don't race the Vette but I also don't want to lose the speed rating or jeopardize safety with an improper repair. On the other hand I can't believe that I should have to buy a new tire every time I pick up a nail.

In the end, I called a large Corvette dealer in another city who informed me that the location of the puncture (tread vs sidewall) and an inspection of the inside of the tire would determine whether the tire could be plugged/patched. Went there instead and $60 later I was on my way.

So do I need to keep my fingers crossed now?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:47 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Should have went to Discount Tire if you have one close to your house. They fix and balance them for free.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I am not a tire tech but have heard of a few folks on here plugging their tires. I will if I get a nail.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I had a runflat repaired and never had any more trouble with it. The last 3 punctures I had were too close to the sidewall to be repaired - had to replace the tires. That's over a period of about 7 years.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tire is less than one year old Goodyear will replace it if it can't be repaired. They will also fix it for free.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM
lee_mcrae
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plugged my own tire when I got a nail.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

When my 2005 was about 4 months old I picked up a nail in one of the rear GY Z51 tires. I took it to a GoodYear dealer and they put a patch on the inside of the tire. It was not near the edge. GoodYear paid for it and I drove for 30,000 miles with no problems.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
sweeper
Instructor

After hailstorms last year every roof within 10 miles was replaced. Fixed three flats on corvette and five or so on wifes car.Just can not be in or near sidewall.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

If the nail was in the tread you can indeed patch plug it. I had a puncture with 1000 miles in my right rear. I now have 26,000 miles and still going strong. The Dealer told me they do not warranty tires (guess where I am buying my NEXT Vert) I called Goodyear and they told me it can be repaired and still keep it's high speed rating. I took it to a Good Year dealer for a warranty repair.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Originally Posted by category4
If the tire is less than one year old Goodyear will replace it if it can't be repaired. They will also fix it for free.
Originally Posted by VET4LES
When my 2005 was about 4 months old I picked up a nail in one of the rear GY Z51 tires. I took it to a GoodYear dealer and they put a patch on the inside of the tire. It was not near the edge. GoodYear paid for it and I drove for 30,000 miles with no problems.
Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
If the nail was in the tread you can indeed patch plug it. I had a puncture with 1000 miles in my right rear. I now have 26,000 miles and still going strong. The Dealer told me they do not warranty tires (guess where I am buying my NEXT Vert) I called Goodyear and they told me it can be repaired and still keep it's high speed rating. I took it to a Good Year dealer for a warranty repair.
Thanks guys. I guess that answers my question.

Last edited by Wyndridge3; 04-09-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by lee_mcrae
I plugged my own tire when I got a nail.
thats what i did
Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyndridge3
"Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged under any circumstances because they're high performance".
Bull crap. They can too... ask me how I know.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Wolf Dogs should be here soon to help you make a decision.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
g-townmach
Racer

Most big name places won't patch anything that is on or near the sidewalk b/c of liability reasons. Bubba's tire shop out the backroads will but I would remove the wheels first before taking it to them.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

In case the 8000 responses saying it is okay to repair them wasn't enough, here is Goodyear's statement:

"Like any other Goodyear speed-rated, high-performance tire, the Goodyear Run-Flat tire may be repaired to correct a puncture in the tread, but PROPER MATERIALS AND PROCEDURES MUST BE USED. Contact a Goodyear Run-Flat service facility for information on proper repairs. For the location of the nearest facility, call 1-800-RUN-FLAT (1-800-786-3528)."
Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
I am not a tire tech but have heard of a few folks on here plugging their tires. I will if I get a nail.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Opinions?

Picked up a nail last week. Caused a slow leak in one of my rear stock runflats (low pressure on two mornings). Took it to the local Chev dealer first who said that their wheel balancer wasn't big enough. They referred me on to a local tire shop. Without even looking at the tire, that shop informed me that "Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged under any circumstances because they're high performance".

Now I don't race the Vette but I also don't want to lose the speed rating or jeopardize safety with an improper repair. On the other hand I can't believe that I should have to buy a new tire every time I pick up a nail.

In the end, I called a large Corvette dealer in another city who informed me that the location of the puncture (tread vs sidewall) and an inspection of the inside of the tire would determine whether the tire could be plugged/patched. Went there instead and $60 later I was on my way.

I used Dyna Plug for at least 6 months because Discount tire refused to patch my runflat tire after removing a screw because belts "jumped" So I drove on 0 pressure to house 10 miles away and plugged it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a screw in one of my Michelin run flats that only had 2200 miles on it. I went back to my installer and they told me run flats are fixable dependent on location and severity of the puncture. They did a patch and plug job on mine and it has held.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Opinions?

Somebody just wanted to sell you a new tire..
Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
The Dealer told me they do not warranty tires (guess where I am buying my NEXT Vert) I called Goodyear and they told me it can be repaired and still keep it's high speed rating. I took it to a Good Year dealer for a warranty repair.
Are you saying you are upset because the dealer would not warranty a tire? No dealer of any kind warranties tires. The tire manufactor does. Read the documentation that came with your car.

Quick Reply: Corvette tires can't be patched / plugged.