C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Even with new battery and or a jump vette won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Fire46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Even with new battery and or a jump vette won't start

After sitting most the winter, I decided to unplug the battery tender and start the 2008 vette up. When I went to unplug the battery tender I noticed it had been unplug for some time. I put a battery pac on to jump it and couldn't get enough juice to open the doors. I tried jumping with my Tahoe and noticed the cables didn't spark like they would normally when connecting to a dead battery so I was puzzled. It still wouldn't start so I took the battery in to Delco because the one I had was only 9 months old. They didn't test it but give a new battery. I took it home hooked it up and it started fine. 2 days later I was getting ready for a long trip with my wife and was loading things in the vette the evening before. The doors would open as well as the back hatch. Next morning the doors wouldn't open but the little red lights came on. The window was open so I popped the hood and put a battery pac on the battery. Still couldn't get the doors open but the red lights came on. The ignition clicked ( not the solenoid ) a couple of times but the acc light wouldn't come on. I hooked up the Tahoe to the battery with no increase in power and again hardly any spark while hooking up the cables. I thought maybe the new battery was bad. I happen to have a couple of tractor batteries that were new and had been on a charger so I exchanged the batteries. Same thing. I had to leave so I decided to drive the Tahoe but had to get things out of the back of the vette. I unlocked the hatch with the key out of the fob to get things out and the horn started honking and lights flashing. It wouldn't turn off with either ignition or the red button on the fob. I had to take to cable off the battery to stop it. I am at a loss as what to do now. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Well initially i'd say your battery internally shorted and therefore you could not jump it. Once you replace the battery you should of had the tender on it. Remember replacement batteries sit on auto parts shelves sometimes for quite a while. But i would have thought the car would fire when jumping with a new or fully charged battery.

I assume you checked all the battery cables to tightness and the same with the cable to the starter?

Keep us posted
Old 04-13-2012, 07:13 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

are you absolutely sure you checked the solenoid? i would suggest you physically wiggle the terminal that connects the cable to the solenoid... then check the check the plug into the solinoid ( purple wire) ... I have seen quite a few that visually look good but are really burnt.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It could be something with the security system too.If that gets "confused' and doesn't see the fob or something,it will shut everything down.If you have a stick,was the clutch all the way down to the floor when you tried to start it??
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Fire46
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6topless
are you absolutely sure you checked the solenoid? i would suggest you physically wiggle the terminal that connects the cable to the solenoid... then check the check the plug into the solinoid ( purple wire) ... I have seen quite a few that visually look good but are really burnt.
Would current not getting past the solenoid make the door locks unable to get enough power to open?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Fire46
Instructor

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
It could be something with the security system too.If that gets "confused' and doesn't see the fob or something,it will shut everything down.If you have a stick,was the clutch all the way down to the floor when you tried to start it??
Its an automatic. I wondered if some security system might be involved. I was hoping that someone might have experienced this problem.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

also check the connection of the battery cable to the starter...could be loose, or dirt/debris interference...?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Fire46
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
also check the connection of the battery cable to the starter...could be loose, or dirt/debris interference...?
i will try that. i haven't changed the batteries in the fobs and iv'e had them over 4 years. i'm going to try try that also.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any evidence of mice anywhere?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Its an automatic. I wondered if some security system might be involved. I was hoping that someone might have experienced this problem.
Well,if it still isn't starting,try hitting the remote loock/unlock and the alarm button.Maybe that will reset the system if in fact thats the issue.Good luck. Oh and as an aside,make sure the car is in park!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried putting the FOB into the glove box slot? Should over ride a weak FOB battery.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would first put the tender back on the battery and give it a couple of days to get it fully charged. A battery can be new without being fully charged. It sounds like you have not driven the car far enough with the new battery to charge it fully.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Fire46
Instructor

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Sorry for just getting back to all of you. I've had some 12 - 15 hour days lately. I found out the problem was the security system. I wasn't sure how to disarm it but I got in the car through the back hatch after pulling the horn fuse. I opened the door with the lever at the bottom. After I did that I would let me start the car. I shut the car off, closed the passenger door, opened the fuse block under the hood and put the horn fuse back in. The horn quit blowing so I tried the fob on the passenger door and it would finally unlock it. So problem solved. Thanks for all the input!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Get notified of new replies

To Even with new battery and or a jump vette won't start

Quick Reply: Even with new battery and or a jump vette won't start