C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood DNX9980HD Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Default Kenwood DNX9980HD Owners

I am trying to avoid potential buyers remorse, so I would like some feedback from DNX9980 owners.

I am scheduled to have the DNX9990HD unit (the successor to the DNX9990HD) installed tomorrow, but in reviewing the Kenwood forum, there are some featurex that have been eliminated in the new unit.

One feature eliminated is the ability to customing the startup screen, which I think is very cool (so I am very disappointed.

One of the enhancements to the new unit is that is supposed to be about 3 times faster vs the old unit. Question....how slow is the old unit, as compared to the stock nav unit?

Convertible Owners....My other question is regarding the Kenwood screen brightness compared to the stock nav unit. It is very difficult to view the factory nav unit when
the top is down, especially when I wear
sunglasses.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM
LAWLESS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested too in that info..... I thought about getting the pioneer because it has more points of interest
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Salty Dawg
Salty Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I had a Kenwood 9960 and I was very happy with the speed of the unit. All in all it was a great stereo.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I have the 7190, but I can answer some of your questions.

You can indeed change both the background screen and the boot up screen. Here is all you need to know for that:

Startup Screen

I had a three year old 6140 and the 2012 does indeed boot a lot quicker and is faster than that one. However, I have noticed that the menu can be laggy when it draws it for some reason sometimes.

I have a vert and the 7190 does indeed wash out in full sun with the top down and is difficult to read. It really needs a sun shade! You can adjust the tilt to tilt it down a bit but that does not help a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood DNX9980HD Owners

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX9980HD Owners