Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Key fob programming

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
txvettefan
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Mercedes Texas
Default Key fob programming

You might consider coping this post a word doc.

C6 Key Fob Programming Procedure:

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of 4 fobs
have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method
is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display, MAX FOBS LEARNED
and the programming procedure will exit.

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when
they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed
using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a
known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicle's mechanical key.
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Open rear compartment
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle, insert the vehicle key into the rear compartment lock cylinder,
located above the license plate and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or
MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion
of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
Replacement battery CR2032

GOOD LUCK
txvettefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
ChevyDave
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ChevyDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: skiatook oklahoma
Default

or remember/save the C6 FAQ link...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...questions.html

about 1/3 way down under...
Key FOB Programming Instructions: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

Last edited by ChevyDave; 04-19-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: corrected to 1/3 way down (fat fingers)
ChevyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Devilish34
CF Senior Member
 
Devilish34's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Oxford Pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvettefan View Post
You might consider coping this post a word doc.

C6 Key Fob Programming Procedure:

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of 4 fobs
have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method
is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display, MAX FOBS LEARNED
and the programming procedure will exit.

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when
they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed
using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a
known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicle's mechanical key.
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Open rear compartment
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle, insert the vehicle key into the rear compartment lock cylinder,
located above the license plate and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or
MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion
of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob in order to verify correct system operation.
Replacement battery CR2032

GOOD LUCK
I'm trying to add a fob but cannot get the car to beep or DIC to turn on after I turn the key the 5 times.. Any help would be appreciated
Devilish34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
ChevyDave
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ChevyDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: skiatook oklahoma
Default

i've read that it counts 5 in 5 seconds, but you can turn it HARD as many times as you need to make the 5 count. maybe up to 20+ times before it finds 5 good ones.

you are positive that a good fob is located in the car when it normally would start the car?

one person said this is no the only way they could get the 5 to count...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

added Elmers programming method.. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

fyi... i see your from PA so this most likely doesnt apply, but.. I have read that Canadian version cars can only have a fob programmed at a dealership. just a fyi

Last edited by ChevyDave; 02-12-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: fyi
ChevyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Devilish34
CF Senior Member
 
Devilish34's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2009
Location: Oxford Pa
Default

I got it lol Thanks for the quick reply.. My licence plate frame was keeping my fat fingers from making the full turn required to work.. I took the plate and frame of and in the first try it worked
Devilish34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
ChevyDave
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
ChevyDave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: skiatook oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish34 View Post
I got it lol Thanks for the quick reply.. My licence plate frame was keeping my fat fingers from making the full turn required to work.. I took the plate and frame of and in the first try it worked
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChevyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
CO Lightfoot
CF Senior Member
 
CO Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2003
Location: Loveland CO
Default

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicK T View Post
First, you are aware there is a "short" programming procedure to add another FOB, which in most cases would be #3, which means the new one won't work with the driver memory settings. Only #1 and #2 can work the memory settings.

So, if you just want to "add" FOB #3 (or #4, the max is 4) then you use the short procedure.

To make a new #1 (or #2) FOB, with access to the memory settings, then you have to use the "long" programming procedure, which is lengthy. Doing the "long" procedure means you erase all existing FOB's from memory and start over. The first FOB you program will be #1, the second will be #2 for memory settings purposes.

The procedures in the manual seem to work only sometimes.

Here is a verified and tested procedure, long and short, that will work if you follow exactly.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

OR you could go back to the dealer and have them do it, probably for a fee. Good luck.
CO Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
FortMorganAl
CF Senior Member
 
FortMorganAl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvettefan View Post
...

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. ...
This means that you should NEVER have to do this or any other FOB programming procedure unless you are adding new FOBs to the system. Each FOB contains only a unique identifying ID. It is the car that remembers which FOBs are "legal". You program the car to accept a new ID as valid. The car NEVER forgets an ID unless you do the long procedure instead of this short procedure or start replacing RDCL components in the car. Removing batteries from the FOBs or car do not cause the car to forget.

If you are having problems with your FOBs you NEVER need to reprogram the car unless you give up and buy a new FOB.
FortMorganAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
C7Joy
CF Senior Member
 
C7Joy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Default

Filing this away just in case! Thanks for sharing.
C7Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #10
GhostC6
CF Senior Member
 
GhostC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Gray Tennessee
Default

How long after you place the new FOB or the working FOB to test the slot, into the slot, does it take usually?

Another words, you do the steps, get to the DIC ready for FOB 3, you insert FOB in slot as directed, then wait, how long, door open or closed, how long till it works or it is just not going to, and, if it is just not going to, can the dealer magically program it another way and what do they charge, if the slot does not work for example.

Thanks to all!
GhostC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
GhostC6
CF Senior Member
 
GhostC6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Gray Tennessee
Default

No one know? Also, if the FOB slot does not seem to work, is there anywhere closer to where it needs to be to try and get it to program?

Looks like when it warms up I will be going to the dealer to get them to program mine, I can get to the "Ready for FOB 3" but that is as far as it goes.

Oh, well...
GhostC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #12
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Default

If you get to READY FOR FOB #3, it should only take a few seconds to program after you put it in the slot. It will then say READY FOR FOB #4. If the slot is not working then the dealer is your next step, but try a couple of things first:
1. Make sure the fob battery is good and inserted correctly.
2. The fob should be placed in the slot with the buttons toward the passenger door and the keyring loop facing outward.
3. If you get no response when you put the new fob in the slot (when DIC says READY FOR FOB #3), put one of your current working fobs in there. The DIC should say KNOWN FOB...if it doesn't, then the slot is not working and the dealer is next. Good luck.

If you aren't currently, use these instructions:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tructions.html
cclive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
Svwc
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Default

I just bought 2 new FOBs, only had 1 that was in bad shape. In doing the "long" procedure, the 5 turns on the truck lock would not put the DIC into program mode. This forum was excellent, tried several suggested tricks from others over the years. The trick that worked for me was to unplug the wires that come into the trunk from the lock, unplug, and use 2 paper clips, touch 5 times, DIC went into program mode !! Followed the directions, everything works great
Svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
MikeERWNC
CF Senior Member
 
MikeERWNC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svwc View Post
I just bought 2 new FOBs, only had 1 that was in bad shape. In doing the "long" procedure, the 5 turns on the truck lock would not put the DIC into program mode. This forum was excellent, tried several suggested tricks from others over the years. The trick that worked for me was to unplug the wires that come into the trunk from the lock, unplug, and use 2 paper clips, touch 5 times, DIC went into program mode !! Followed the directions, everything works great
How close did you park your truck to the Corvette when you turned the lock five times?

I don't see how turning the truck lock would do anything for the Corvette.
To me it seems like it would fail every time.

Were you using a Chevy truck when you programmed your new fobs?

I would think a Ford or Nissan truck might not work when programming a Corvette.


Truck Lock...
MikeERWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
Svwc
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Default

That's funny 😜
Damm auto correct, trunk not truck
Svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:13 PM   #16
EVRose
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
EVRose's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas NV
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostC6 View Post
How long after you place the new FOB or the working FOB to test the slot, into the slot, does it take usually?

Another words, you do the steps, get to the DIC ready for FOB 3, you insert FOB in slot as directed, then wait, how long, door open or closed, how long till it works or it is just not going to, and, if it is just not going to, can the dealer magically program it another way and what do they charge, if the slot does not work for example.

Thanks to all!
Another words "In Other Words".
EVRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #17
ccie40567
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDave View Post
i've read that it counts 5 in 5 seconds, but you can turn it HARD as many times as you need to make the 5 count. maybe up to 20+ times before it finds 5 good ones.

you are positive that a good fob is located in the car when it normally would start the car?

one person said this is no the only way they could get the 5 to count...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

added Elmers programming method.. http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

fyi... i see your from PA so this most likely doesnt apply, but.. I have read that Canadian version cars can only have a fob programmed at a dealership. just a fyi
Worked like a charm on the very first try...2011 GS.
ccie40567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Key fob programming
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions cclive C6 Corvette General Discussion 409 Today 03:01 PM
2008 key fob programming - glove box not recognizing fobs Illusion Of Progress C6 Corvette General Discussion 6 02-03-2015 03:30 PM
Another fob programming FAIL!! zildjianz06 C6 Tech/Performance 59 11-06-2014 09:44 PM
How to Reprogram or Add a Fob Baxter's Dad C6 Corvette General Discussion 0 08-28-2013 07:04 PM
Fob programming #1 short or long method? greenbeauty C6 Tech/Performance 5 05-15-2013 12:21 PM


Tags
c5, c6, corvette, fob, fobs, key, program, programming


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory
 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Emails & Password Backup