C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Impressions 2011 GS Auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Trans C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Impressions 2011 GS Auto

In the past all my Corvette's were a 6 speed manual, my Last car being a PDK thought I would try a Auto? I would have to say the paddle shift not as good as a PDK but very impressed next to a 6 Speed Car. It shifts on the paddles when promted , if you miss a shift ,as I am learning, there is give , ex on the Corvette hit plus up shift , hit below down shift, orginally I thought hit one side up, one side down, not the case. the tourqe of the engine makes this a good system, and in auto mode above 3k the car just wants to go, I like this route better than a 6speed ecspecially in trafic, plus it has many ups, I think Chevy has come along way in their A6!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not owned, but did test drive, a PDK in a Cayman S and currently own a 2011 A6. I think there's only a superficial similarity in how the two operate. The PDK is a high technology implementation and the A6 in the Corvette is not. The PDK shifts way faster, without lag, up or down, multiple gears almost as quickly as a single gear. The A6 in the Corvette has varying amounts of lag, depending primarily on whether or not the torque converter has locked and the current engine speed. There's an RPM flare on the 3-4 shift that is annoying.

That all being said, on a road course/HPDE/autocross, the lag can be anticipated and in all actuality, to drivers at least at my level, I'd probably be insignificantly faster with a PDK in the Corvette versus the current A6. I'm just not good enough to exploit the split second shifts and even on tight courses, there aren't many occasions when you need a downshift to happen super quickly and right then, so the major performance advantage is in upshift speeds during acceleration. In just leisurely crusing, the A6 is perfectly fine, and IMO a torque converter automatic is just a more relaxed stop-and-go traffic vehicle than most automated manual transmissions.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd say the level of tech and sophistication of the PDK and other similar trans are quite a bit above the A6. I recall that one of our vendors, LGMotorsports, was once selling the racing clutchless trans they use. Even tho it's for racing (and thus more costly than a PDK), the costs were multiples of what a regular automatic would cost.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the F1 mod,and like the paddles MUCH better now.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I'm sorry. I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry"

Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

If the A6 makes you happy then get it. I drove one and had the opposite feelings and that is why I got the M6, but to each their own.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'd say the level of tech and sophistication of the PDK and other similar trans are quite a bit above the A6. I recall that one of our vendors, LGMotorsports, was once selling the racing clutchless trans they use. Even tho it's for racing (and thus more costly than a PDK), the costs were multiples of what a regular automatic would cost.
For street driving, this is even more sophisticated

Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carl111
In the past all my Corvette's were a 6 speed manual, my Last car being a PDK thought I would try a Auto? I would have to say the paddle shift not as good as a PDK but very impressed next to a 6 Speed Car. It shifts on the paddles when promted , if you miss a shift ,as I am learning, there is give , ex on the Corvette hit plus up shift , hit below down shift, orginally I thought hit one side up, one side down, not the case. the tourqe of the engine makes this a good system, and in auto mode above 3k the car just wants to go, I like this route better than a 6speed ecspecially in trafic, plus it has many ups, I think Chevy has come along way in their A6!
Time to donate your left leg to science then
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
I have not owned, but did test drive, a PDK in a Cayman S and currently own a 2011 A6. I think there's only a superficial similarity in how the two operate. The PDK is a high technology implementation and the A6 in the Corvette is not. The PDK shifts way faster, without lag, up or down, multiple gears almost as quickly as a single gear. The A6 in the Corvette has varying amounts of lag, depending primarily on whether or not the torque converter has locked and the current engine speed. There's an RPM flare on the 3-4 shift that is annoying.

That all being said, on a road course/HPDE/autocross, the lag can be anticipated and in all actuality, to drivers at least at my level, I'd probably be insignificantly faster with a PDK in the Corvette versus the current A6. I'm just not good enough to exploit the split second shifts and even on tight courses, there aren't many occasions when you need a downshift to happen super quickly and right then, so the major performance advantage is in upshift speeds during acceleration. In just leisurely crusing, the A6 is perfectly fine, and IMO a torque converter automatic is just a more relaxed stop-and-go traffic vehicle than most automated manual transmissions.
Good points.
The shift lag can normally be anticipated and made a non-issue.
The slow shifts reduce acceleration, but the C6 with an A6 is still a very fast car.

The car magazines have often complained about herky-jerky shifting around town from the automatic manual trannies, I hope GM gets it right when they some day start making one.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

The lag and gear hunting irritated me when I had my 08 A6. My 07 was a M6, so when I bought my 08 I went with the A6 because I liked the idea of no clutch or so I thought I did. Once the newness wore off the A6 I missed the hell out of my M6, so when I bought my 11 there was not a second thought about going with the M6.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drivers of A6s are faster than most drivers in MN6s...

some MN6 drivers will chime in and claim that they can outperform the A6, I've seem many of them embarrassed when they are proven otherwise
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ohmy

some MN6 drivers will chime in and claim that they can outperform the A6, I've seem many of them embarrassed when they are proven otherwise
Your not a driver in a A6, your a passenger.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A6 beats the m6 everytime , paddle, sport, or drive . and i have 0 lag
just floor it and it's ''gone''
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Are you saying every Formula 1 driver, or new Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren owner, is a passenger? I'm sure the Formula 1 guys would like some driving instruction from you.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:45 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Good points.
The shift lag can normally be anticipated and made a non-issue.
The slow shifts reduce acceleration, but the C6 with an A6 is still a very fast car.

The car magazines have often complained about herky-jerky shifting around town from the automatic manual trannies, I hope GM gets it right when they some day start making one.
My 2011 isn't bad. I think it's just hard to make shifts smooth when the inertia of that big engine is large relative to the light weight of the car. It could have probably been done with a lot of R&D time that would have added cost to the car, but at some point they probably made the decision that it is good enough and that it would have been better to devote R&D time to the C7. I hope. . .
Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Trans C7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the paddles, and the car shifts when promted, up or down, in paddle mode, a tune to tighten everything up and it should be allot of fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Impressions 2011 GS Auto

Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
Are you saying every Formula 1 driver, or new Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren owner, is a passenger? I'm sure the Formula 1 guys would like some driving instruction from you.
Naw, I'm saying if you are driving a torque converter automatic transmission Corvette you can't even begin to compare yourself to a real sports car driver, your simply a Walter Mitty fantasizing about being able to drive one.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy

Actually no...while the automatic equipped car might be faster on some occasions the driver of the auto had minimal input in every occasion.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Naw, I'm saying if you are driving a torque converter automatic transmission Corvette you can't even begin to compare yourself to a real sports car driver, your simply a Walter Mitty fantasizing about being able to drive one.
What's the difference in the user interaction between a torque converter automatic and a dual clutch automatic? Are you saying that a paddle shift in a torque converter car is operated differently than one in a dual clutch car? Are you saying that if a driver has a paddle shifted torque converter automatic they aren't a sports car driver but if they get out and hop into a dual clutch, paddle shifted car, they are?

Okay, then I guess to you, anyone driving an old pickup truck with a manual transmission is a sports car driver.

Quick Reply: Driving Impressions 2011 GS Auto