C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondurant - Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
griffinoil
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Bondurant - Awesome!

Just got back from a 3 - day driving school at Bondurant and I feel like I needed to post on my experience there.

This forum definately has a Spring Mountain lean, so maybe I can help a little with those thinking about going to Boundurant -- DO IT!

Greatly exceeded my expectations. I had two days free (ok not free!) from my ZR1 purchase and added a third day. A friend of mine went with me who bought his ZR1 back in 2010. Both our wives also went (to shop and spa) He went to the Spring Mountain school in 2010 after his purchase and really liked it. So yes, I have a non-biased opinion now of how the two schools compare. More on that later.

Hopefully I can post the pic of me in the 2012 Centennial package ZR-1 that was mine for the entire 3 days. The instructors were top notch. We had 3 students per instructor and ours was Tim Rose. He communicated and taught us very well. Amazing at how effortless he made driving look when he was doing each We went through accident avoidance, throttle steering, curve mechanics, turn mechanics, heel to toe downshifting, among others. We put it all together on the Maricopa Oval, the autocross cross, and on the main race course. By the end of each day, I was physically and mentally spent. Intense doesn't quite do justice to the experience. We drove long and hard all day long. 30-45 minutes of class instruction each morning, then 30 minutes of class instruction after lunch - then we were in the cars.

On the afternoon of day three they put us in Grand Sports and let us have at it on the track. The Grand Sport is a great car, but don't be fooled by other posts, it ain't nothing like the ZR-1 around the track. If you don't trust a rookie like me, then maybe you will trust Bob Bondurant. He took me and 2 other lucky guys on a few hot laps around the course. If you don't kow who he is, shame on you. Google him. He was awesome. He could have taken any car he wanted on the track: Grand Sport, Z06, or ZR1. He didn't even think about it - straight into a ZR1. He flew around that track and couldn't lavish enough praise on the ZR1 during the laps. Said "incredible race car" among other things.

I was initially struggling with my decision to go to Bondurant over Spring Mountain because of all the posts on this forum. I ended up choosing it because it is more wife-friendly. What a great surprise it was. I will go back.

So I asked my buddy on the airplane ride home "which school do you prefer?" It wasn't a slam dunk, but he said he felt like he learned more and caught on better with the excellent instruction by Tim at Bondurant, and that we were in the cars more there. He did say that Spring Mountain was a blast - more of a country club feel, just that if he were pressed, he would go back to Bondurant.

Enjoy
Old 05-02-2012, 03:19 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Very nice review
Old 05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting your review on the experience. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and learned a lot.

I only live about an hour from the place so I think I will take a ride out there and check it out.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 767 Likes on 704 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sounds like you had a great time. I would love to do that too.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Agree!

did the ZR1 class last year at Bondurant and I have to agree it was one of the best driving classes I've taken (mind you, a lot of the others were just classes... like as in take a class and don't get points on the license.. )

The instructors were top notch. Loved every minute of it, except the part of driving a ZR1 around the course and TRYING to catch up to a bleeping Cadillac.. almost cost me the $5K deductible on the insurance policy..

Highlight for me was when Bob Bondurant took me for a couple of "hot laps" in "my" ZR1..

Would do it again in a heart beat if Chevy would pay again for me to attend another class!

Chevrolet.. you listening??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE..
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

For those that don't know who he is:
Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Great review! Makes me want to go back. I went to Bondurant last year and Spring Mountain this year. They teach very similar things at both, in slightly different ways.
I liked the smaller and more personal classes at Bondurant and we stayed in the same ZR1 the whole time which was nice because you’re not always adjusting seats and mirrors and it feels like it’s ‘your car’.
There are things I preferred about SM too, but this thread is about Bondurant. Both are great.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
mtdriver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended the Bondurant school about 9 years ago and what a terrific experience. The skills and training that I received there are reflected in my driving every time I get in my car or truck.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM
FNCG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thanks For Info

I am going to do SM or Bondurant this winter. I have heard good things about both. I think you just sold me on Bondurant. Thanks for your input....
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

going to Bondurant..this dec..2 day with my car..should be a blast.............

Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 AM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a blast at the Bondurant Z06 experience this summer. I think about and practice what I learned every time I drive. Highly recommended.

I have taken motorcycle schools and learned how much I didn't know so I felt I should do the same with driving cars. There is definately more instruction in my future. No matter where you decide to go you won't be sorry.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing the story. I've been to Spring Mountain twice and it was fantastic on both occasions. I'm sure Bondurant is every bit as good. I think it would be very difficult to NOT have a great time when the majority of it is spent in a ZR1! It doesn't matter where you're at.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

since i will be using my car...should i tape front areas..use the stretch bra??? i assume following the instructors car could chew up my front end and windshield.....
but my csc , was made for tracking..and this will probably be one of the few times i could actually use it for what it was intended...and i ain't gettin' any younger...............
Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 PM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by griffinoil
Just got back from a 3 - day driving school at Bondurant and I feel like I needed to post on my experience there.

This forum definately has a Spring Mountain lean, so maybe I can help a little with those thinking about going to Boundurant -- DO IT!

Greatly exceeded my expectations. I had two days free (ok not free!) from my ZR1 purchase and added a third day. A friend of mine went with me who bought his ZR1 back in 2010. Both our wives also went (to shop and spa) He went to the Spring Mountain school in 2010 after his purchase and really liked it. So yes, I have a non-biased opinion now of how the two schools compare. More on that later.

Hopefully I can post the pic of me in the 2012 Centennial package ZR-1 that was mine for the entire 3 days. The instructors were top notch. We had 3 students per instructor and ours was Tim Rose. He communicated and taught us very well. Amazing at how effortless he made driving look when he was doing each We went through accident avoidance, throttle steering, curve mechanics, turn mechanics, heel to toe downshifting, among others. We put it all together on the Maricopa Oval, the autocross cross, and on the main race course. By the end of each day, I was physically and mentally spent. Intense doesn't quite do justice to the experience. We drove long and hard all day long. 30-45 minutes of class instruction each morning, then 30 minutes of class instruction after lunch - then we were in the cars.

On the afternoon of day three they put us in Grand Sports and let us have at it on the track. The Grand Sport is a great car, but don't be fooled by other posts, it ain't nothing like the ZR-1 around the track. If you don't trust a rookie like me, then maybe you will trust Bob Bondurant. He took me and 2 other lucky guys on a few hot laps around the course. If you don't kow who he is, shame on you. Google him. He was awesome. He could have taken any car he wanted on the track: Grand Sport, Z06, or ZR1. He didn't even think about it - straight into a ZR1. He flew around that track and couldn't lavish enough praise on the ZR1 during the laps. Said "incredible race car" among other things.

I was initially struggling with my decision to go to Bondurant over Spring Mountain because of all the posts on this forum. I ended up choosing it because it is more wife-friendly. What a great surprise it was. I will go back.

So I asked my buddy on the airplane ride home "which school do you prefer?" It wasn't a slam dunk, but he said he felt like he learned more and caught on better with the excellent instruction by Tim at Bondurant, and that we were in the cars more there. He did say that Spring Mountain was a blast - more of a country club feel, just that if he were pressed, he would go back to Bondurant.

Enjoy
Very balanced! I am about to do level two at SM and wondering where I go after that, (a track, I hope, but which one?). I am going to look at Bondurant. That said, anyone have experience with Skip Barber? They do sessions much closer to home, (I live in south La next to the alligator hunters...) in NO.

Get notified of new replies

To Bondurant - Awesome!

Quick Reply: Bondurant - Awesome!