C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading lights wont go off.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
vettenlady
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reading lights wont go off.....

All of a sudden, the reading lights on the rear view mirror wont go off. I have push the buttons on and off several times, and after several minutes of leaving the car, they are still on.
The button on the left panel does not dim or brighten the interior lights. What is wrong?
I have read the manual, and the dealer/service cant figure it out either. Jeez...if they cant do it who can?
Hopefully someone has an answer before my battery goes deadddddd.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push the panel button, the one you use to dim the dash lights.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the dreaded "knee switch" issue. You have possibly pressed the light switch near your left kneecap one too many times. Try pressing it in again (I think) and see what happens when you close the door.
The following users liked this post:
Peter Wilson (11-02-2019)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenlady
All of a sudden, the reading lights on the rear view mirror wont go off. I have push the buttons on and off several times, and after several minutes of leaving the car, they are still on.
The button on the left panel does not dim or brighten the interior lights. What is wrong?
I have read the manual, and the dealer/service cant figure it out either. Jeez...if they cant do it who can?
Hopefully someone has an answer before my battery goes deadddddd.
It's been a couple of years since 'Vette ownership for me.....but deep in the dusty remnants of memory......there is a dimmer switch on the lower left of the dash that you may have hit with your knee getting in or out....push it again, close the door and the lights will go off.....I think.
Look in the owners manual on the page with the dash display for the location of this secret "on" button.......
Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

yep its the switch....
Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

you probably pushed in the **** on the left as it turns on interior lights, push it in again

wow there was nothing here when I started typing...my comp is so slow..... disregard mine then..... lol
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

small **** on the left push..................
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM
vettenlady
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reading lights stay on

Well, after waiting quit a while, they finally went out.
As I stated above, I did push it in and out several times and it seemed to have not dimmed any lights at all. I did what the manual said to do. So anyway, fiddling around with it must have worked. Strange.
But thanks again, my Corvette family. I can always count on support from you....
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Congrats...I had the same issue when I first bought my '05. I took the fuse out for almost a week before I figured it out.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

All the lights are designed to go out after 20 minutes or so. So, you may have the same problem next time. The rear view mirror light switch is backwards, for me at least. On = out and off = in. That plus the dimmer switch thing makes it hard to get the right combination at times.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

As I stated above, I did push it in and out several times and it seemed to have not dimmed any lights at all. I did what the manual said to do. So anyway, fiddling around with it must have worked. Strange.
But thanks again, my Corvette family. I can always count on support from you....
I'm very impressed. You are one of the very few that actually took the proactive approach of reading the owners manual!
Well done. You get the award for the month so far.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM
nmalik3000
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It is the dreaded "knee switch" issue
Old 05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

FYI, you only need to push the button once; if you push it a 2nd time you'll recreate your problem.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No, you actually should have pushed it in one time and released it. The map lights will not go out as soon as you push and release it. You've got to wait until you get out and shut the doors. Then, if/when the car locks, the map lights should start to fade and go out in a few seconds.

Pushing (and releasing) that button one time turns on all interior lights. Pushing (and releasing) again turns off all interior lights, but map lights don't go out immediately.

You had previously pushed and released it once when you were detailing the inside of the car, but didn't realize it. Nearly all of us have done that sooner or later without realizing it.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 05-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

In my experience, if set correctly, all the interior lights should fade out in about 20 seconds or less after closing the door.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Rohey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been bugging me all week. could not figure out how to get these lights to shut off. Looked in the manual but not until I came to the forum did I get my solution.....ok so I feel a little dull to have bumped the switch with my knee and could not figure out why pressing the mirror buttons did nothing. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

As BigJoe stated above, any/all the lights will go out after 20 minutes or so, when the computer goes to sleep/standby.

Great feature that would have saved me many jumps/re-charges over the years with other vehicles.

Get notified of new replies

To Reading lights wont go off.....

Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a new Grand Sport and I have the same issue. The courtesy lights will go out when you lock the car and go away but they will not go out while you are driving. Pushing in the switch for the interior lights makes no difference. It's becoming a real aggrivation to have the reading lights on all the time you are driving.

Any other suggestions beside going to the dealership?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,819 Likes on 2,064 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

To operate properly start by insuring that the two buttons on the mirror are in the off position. Off = in (on = out)

Then get out and close door. The mirror lights should dim out after 20 seconds. IF THEY DO NOT DIM OUT, push the dimmer light switch on the left side of the dash 1 time.

Then get out and close the door. The mirror lights should dim out after 20 seconds.

Elmer
Old 05-26-2012, 03:53 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by JimTN
... You had previously pushed and released it once when you were detailing the inside of the car, but didn't realize it. Nearly all of us have done that sooner or later without realizing it.

It's not hit by the knee, as folks post, but while doing the cleaning chores inside the car. I did it three weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Reading lights wont go off.....