C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Removing Cigarette Lighter

Cell phone car cord broke off in cigarette lighter next to ash tray. Thought I got everything out, but must be something behind lighter because car cord and lighter will not go all the way in. Anyone know how to get lighter out?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

There is a special tool that is used to remove the lighter. I understand from some posts on this forum, it is possible to remove it without the special tool - if you have three hands! I was able to do mine but I had the entire console out and access from the back. Use a forum search and you will find the threads. There is even a link to pictures of the process as I recall. There are two parts, the lighter socket and the retainer. I would order both in case you break the retainer which is really easy to do.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Abirli
Advanced

console has to be off, i was able to get mine out by pushing it thru from behind. broke a friends doing that but not mine
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Did a search and could find nothing on the forum. Will ask my local Chevy dealer if they have such a tool.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 AM
precious metal
Instructor

Originally Posted by sefa01
Did a search and could find nothing on the forum. Will ask my local Chevy dealer if they have such a tool.
Here is what i did, pop off the radio bezel, its not hard. From the back side of the bezel, I drilled a tiny hole with a 7/65 bit at about 4 o'clock in the lighter's hole. I did this with the lighter still in so don't push too hard on the drill. Now turn the lighter assembly while pushing from the back. There are 2 tabs that hold it in. As you turn, one tab will pop through the hole followed by the other. Lighter is out! This will make reinstalling and future removal way easier. I did the same thing on the console powerpoint.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Cigarette Lighter

Quick Reply: Removing Cigarette Lighter