C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dies in the MIDDLE of Highway... VERY SCARY

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:21 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Car dies in the MIDDLE of Highway... VERY SCARY

Ok this happened a week ago today. Wasn't gonna post it, but wondering if this has happened to anyone else here.

Driving home on the highway. Merging onto another highway when the DIC reads "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING(or traction?)/REDUCED ENGINE POWER".

The engine just shut down, not limp mode, SHUT DOWN.

In the middle lane of the highway, at night. Too much traffic to even drive to the shoulder. This was the scariest moment of my life. I honestly thought I was going to die as it was the WORST place possible on a very busy highway with many transport trucks and a merging point so drivers behind me didn't have much line of sight to see me. A few cars swerved to avoid me. Car wouldn't start. Had to run out and push the car over to the shoulders which was 2 lanes away. I thought if I was lucky enough not to die the car would be totalled from behind.

Luckily I avoided an accident. After a few minutes the car started and drive home ok. The check engine light is on and dealer said it's the throttle body. Luckily its under warranty, but how the hell does that happen out of the blue, no warning at all. VERY bad experience I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Still waiting for a new throttle body to come in.

Lost alot of confidence in the car now, I must say. I think cars have too many damn computers these days. At least if it was running strange or making a weird sound I would have some warning, bit to die in the middle of the highway is NOT good.

Lucky I'm ok and no accident, could have been ALOT worse.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DAMN! Not good!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

wow how many miles on your car ???
Old 06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,978 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Default Ditto...sort of

Corrado...I just had a very similiar experience last Friday on my 2012 GS Vert. It was not the Throttle body, but had a very similiar reaction. Thankfully, mine did remain in a "limp mode" and I was able to get home, but did not have confidence driving it to the dealer, so they put it on a flat bed.

Here is my post from this weekend:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-the-dic.html
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM
P0234
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been in a similar situation before (for various reasons), as soon as you start losing power, you have to force your way over to the shoulder. You'll get a-holes that won't let you over but keep cramming in and you'll get over before you come to a stop. Stopping in a travel lane is bad news.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yeah, lot of traffic and no one would let me in. Happened very fast too. only 48,000 KMs on the car.
Dlinderman, it sucks having to flatbed the car, eh? But glad they fixed it for you.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,978 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado

Dlinderman, it sucks having to flatbed the car, eh? But glad they fixed it for you.
I was reluctant to do it, but the dealer sent the guy that they have handle all their Corvette and ZR1 transport.

Once the guy showed up he put me at ease and said he towes vettes to Lambo's all the time. He said mine was easy with power (though reduced). He said the bitch of the bunch was Lambo's with no power!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
jonathontodd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to me before, it was the throttle body, my car wouldn't start at all. Reset the fault codes and it would run for about 3 seconds, then shut off again
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Has happened to me many times for the same reason...throttle body codes. I have a ported and polished TB which the ECU didn't like. I completely agree with you about the safety aspects when it happens. This is a GM lawsuit waiting to happen!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
This is a GM lawsuit waiting to happen!
Damn straight and I have one serious power based lawyer. This happens to me on a lonesome mountain road or in Atlanta downtown traffic, GM is going to see litigation that won't quit.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Is your car stock?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Ok this happened a week ago today. Wasn't gonna post it, but wondering if this has happened to anyone else here.

Driving home on the highway. Merging onto another highway when the DIC reads "SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING(or traction?)/REDUCED ENGINE POWER".

The engine just shut down, not limp mode, SHUT DOWN.

In the middle lane of the highway, at night. Too much traffic to even drive to the shoulder. This was the scariest moment of my life. I honestly thought I was going to die as it was the WORST place possible on a very busy highway with many transport trucks and a merging point so drivers behind me didn't have much line of sight to see me. A few cars swerved to avoid me. Car wouldn't start. Had to run out and push the car over to the shoulders which was 2 lanes away. I thought if I was lucky enough not to die the car would be totalled from behind.

Luckily I avoided an accident. After a few minutes the car started and drive home ok. The check engine light is on and dealer said it's the throttle body. Luckily its under warranty, but how the hell does that happen out of the blue, no warning at all. VERY bad experience I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Still waiting for a new throttle body to come in.

Lost alot of confidence in the car now, I must say. I think cars have too many damn computers these days. At least if it was running strange or making a weird sound I would have some warning, bit to die in the middle of the highway is NOT good.

Lucky I'm ok and no accident, could have been ALOT worse.
With these electronics work great but die without warning. Mechanical vs. electronics.
Can't throttle body be cleaned out instead of getting a new one?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

never had it happen to my C6('s). The same thing happened in my first Corvette;2001. Problem was the battery terminal/cable separated. Complete failure in the mid-town tunnel in rush hour. I can't say I've had "that" problem; but I have had the same results on a busy highway. Keep in mind your car is a machine; we imperfect at best humans built them. They're going to have some issues, have faith - no matter if you're on a bicycle-bad luck will find you. I'm personally just happy you're safe.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Roidz
Pro

Not fun at all. I had it happen to me recently on my motorcycle. That was scary as hell.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
legbuh
Racer

Well that's just complete BS.. sounds scary as heck!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Some 10 years ago or so Ford had a module (ECM) recall because of the placement of this unit on side of distributor it was exposed to heat so you could be driving then all of a sudden car goes dead. The fix was compensate customers for cost of module or to replacement module with a new one but not relocate. So eventually down the road it will fail again.
Yes this did happen to me at 65 MPH in the fast lane.

Last edited by LS WON; 06-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Jim McK
Damn straight and I have one serious power based lawyer. This happens to me on a lonesome mountain road or in Atlanta downtown traffic, GM is going to see litigation that won't quit.
Hey Jim, how ya doing?

Get notified of new replies

To Car dies in the MIDDLE of Highway... VERY SCARY

Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

What model year is your Vette? Any engine mods?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
branemaniac
Advanced

I had this thing happen once in an old 81 rx7 of mine. The battery cable slipped out of the clamp on the terminal. That moment when you have no power and you are still moving is pretty scary.

The vettes auto trans sh*t the bed while I was driving it. Was actually stopped at a red light and it lunged once and put me in limp mode, pissing off everyone in the turn lane with me.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I purchased a new 1968 Ford Torino GT fastback in 1968. It would die without any warning, at any time, at any speed. No computers to blame the problem on, but most likely an electical problem. But, you could immediately put the car in neutral(even at 80 MPH on the Interstate), turn the key to start it, put it back in drive, and it would then be okay(for awhile). Ford dealer couldn't fix it so I got rid of the car after 6 months before it killed me, my wife and daughter.

Quick Reply: Car dies in the MIDDLE of Highway... VERY SCARY