C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Left headlight's front leading edge protrudes 3/8" too high..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Help: Left headlight's front leading edge protrudes 3/8" too high..

Hi Guys, I've searched & searched & still need some help.

My driver's side headlight's front (leading) edge, sticks up about 3/8+" higher than it should, & for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've removed the inner fender liner & lightbulb access flap, so that I could fully slide/adjust the light housing around on it's plastic shelf, but I just can't get that front edge to fit lower(correctly). The entire assembly fits very well in the cutout, proper gaps & fitment all the way around, etc...it's just that front leading edge portrudes much higher than it should.

I don't think the front fender/fascia is misaligned or anything, & I can't feel the driver's side fender/fascia moving up/down any more than the passenger side, but now I'm wondering if there's some headlight guide or clip, or some front fascia guide or clips, that positions the fascia, or the headlight assembly within the front fender's light assembly coutout?

Here's the wrinkle; The passenger side headlight is perfect, perfect gap, fits nice & flush, etc., but I just noticed the driver's side looked tweaked the other day, right after I'd tried to drive the car up on ramps. They both skidded forward & the front fascia got hung up(pushed upwards hard) when all its' weight was stuck on the highest part of the ramp. Which makes me think I tweaked something in how the fascia mounts on the front, or how the headlight sits on that shelf, or mates to the front fascia.

I really, really don't want to remove the headlight or the front fascia, as everything else fits/feels perfect, so I'm hoping someone with the same issue has some advice. Many thanks for any input or advice you can offer.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Hi Guys, I've searched & searched & still need some help.

My driver's side headlight's front (leading) edge, sticks up about 3/8+" higher than it should, & for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've removed the inner fender liner & lightbulb access flap, so that I could fully slide/adjust the light housing around on it's plastic shelf, but I just can't get that front edge to fit lower(correctly). The entire assembly fits very well in the cutout, proper gaps & fitment all the way around, etc...it's just that front leading edge portrudes much higher than it should.

I don't think the front fender/fascia is misaligned or anything, & I can't feel the driver's side fender/fascia moving up/down any more than the passenger side, but now I'm wondering if there's some headlight guide or clip, or some front fascia guide or clips, that positions the fascia, or the headlight assembly within the front fender's light assembly coutout?

Here's the wrinkle; The passenger side headlight is perfect, perfect gap, fits nice & flush, etc., but I just noticed the driver's side looked tweaked the other day, right after I'd tried to drive the car up on ramps. They both skidded forward & the front fascia got hung up(pushed upwards hard) when all its' weight was stuck on the highest part of the ramp. Which makes me think I tweaked something in how the fascia mounts on the front, or how the headlight sits on that shelf, or mates to the front fascia.

I really, really don't want to remove the headlight or the front fascia, as everything else fits/feels perfect, so I'm hoping someone with the same issue has some advice. Many thanks for any input or advice you can offer.
Actually it's not uncommon to have the leading edge of the headlights sit high like yours. I've seen a lot of variation on headlight height from one car to the next. As for adjusting it there are few options as you have discovered. I recently installed a new set of painted headlights into my car and initially the fit was horrible. They sat high or two low and the gasket wasn't making contact etc... I knew I hadn't done anything with regards to the position of the front fascia to the fenders to the bucket that the headlights bolt onto so i couldn't figure out what was different. However with the headlights assemblies out I did realize that I could extend or retract the three metal standoffs/ studs that secure to the bottom of the headlight assemblies that you then line up on the bucket and secure with nuts. By moving these standoffs in or out you can effect the height of the headlight in the bucket in relation to the fascia and fender. I ended up raising the rear of my headlights which drove the front edge down enough so that it was flush to the body work. Took a lot of time because it was tedious work spinning the standoffs with a pair of locking pliers since i didn't have the right reverse torx bit to spin them with easily.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Many Thanks NW94Z, I didn't realize those three mounting posts could screw in/out of the headlight assembly & it's entirely possible I turned them by mistake when attaching/reattaching those three 10mm bolts.

Question, do you think it would it be possible to turn these mounting posts without removing them from the car, ie; from under the vehicle (removing the inner fender liner, etc.) & turning them with pliers or vice grips on the end of the post?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Many Thanks NW94Z, I didn't realize those three mounting posts could screw in/out of the headlight assembly & it's entirely possible I turned them by mistake when attaching/reattaching those three 10mm bolts.

Question, do you think it would it be possible to turn these mounting posts without removing them from the car, ie; from under the vehicle (removing the inner fender liner, etc.) & turning them with pliers or vice grips on the end of the post?
Yes you can turn them with the headlight in the car. That is exactly how i turned mine since I did not want to remove the headlights, adjust them, reinstall, make additional adjustments, reinstall them etc... Major pain to do it that way. So I used a set of vice grips and did it that way. took awhile because it is very hard to get a decent hold of the standoffs and turn them but it's doable. I mangled mine in turning them with vice grips but I should never have to turn them again and if I ever need to i can replace them with new ones by removing the headlights.

Just don't unscrew them to far or they will come out of the headlight assembly and you won't be able to get them back in without pulling the headlights. I only had to adjust mine by about a 1/4 inch. Raising the rear of the headlight will help drive that front edge down and make a better seal with the fender at the same time.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Many Thanks NW94Z, that's very much appreciated & I'll check those posts out. Cheers!

Get notified of new replies

To Help: Left headlight's front leading edge protrudes 3/8" too high..

Quick Reply: Help: Left headlight's front leading edge protrudes 3/8" too high..