C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Default ANOTHER Tire Thread

I gather everyone agrees that Michelin are the BEST run flat tires for our Corvettes. But some argue that Firestone and some other brands are less expensive but just as good. Well, on another thread I saw where there was a link to Firestone and I punched in my car and I printed out a price of $588.00 NOT including sales tax for 2 Firehawk Wide Oval RF front tires P245/40R18 installed. I went to my local tire store that was just purchased by Tread Quarters and they MATCHED Tire Racks price of $508 for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus ZP. And they do NOT charge for installing or balancing them. Just add Sales Tax. What am I missing????
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

I don't know what's missing but I know I'd sure jump on it before they change their mind.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

sounds good to me! just make sure they don't mangle your wheels.

in fairness tho, the Mich. is 254/tire and the firestone is 228, a minor difference in price on tirerack. no question which one I'd get.

Last edited by AORoads; 07-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

That is a great deal
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by talon90
I don't know what's missing but I know I'd sure jump on it before they change their mind.
I did .... I bought them this afternoon...and they just installed a new Hunter Tire Changer designed for Run Flat tires AND a new Electronic Balancer. I forget the numbers of both. But they look impressive. Especially the tire changer. He GUARANTEES no scratches on my chrome wheels. The will be in on Thursday and I will bring the wheels to them as soon as they call me.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I just had the same tires put on yesterday. Replaced the originals right at 20K - fronts were at the wear bars, and rears didn't have much more. At first, my local shop was significantly higher than Tire Rack. I gathered from their discussion that their cost was only a few dollars less that what TR was selling the tires for. They checked with their distributor, and ultimately couldn't quite match the Tire Rack price, but it was close to what I would have had to pay for shipping and install, so I gave them the business. Tax added a bit, but it's good to support a local business in a small town.

I'm sure You won't be disappointed with the Michelins - they are a tremendous improvement over the GYs. Looking forward to trying them in the snow.

Get notified of new replies

To ANOTHER Tire Thread

Quick Reply: ANOTHER Tire Thread