C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

predictions on c6 and c6z prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM
bptuner
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Default predictions on c6 and c6z prices

im in the market for a used c6z. the plan was to wait for the c7 to be released in hope that the price might come down for intrest in trading up to the c7. im interested in seeing what you guys think, will it drop or remain the same and i should just buy now.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Prices will probably go up because there will be no Z06, Grand Sport or ZR1 for years...
Just my prediction
Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

No way to say for sure. It's safe to say that most cars depreciate over time. Many people here have observed that prices are lower in the winter.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PlanetZoom
No way to say for sure. It's safe to say that most cars depreciate over time. Many people here have observed that prices are lower in the winter.
I would keep learning to determine what YOU really want, so that you are prepared to buy, when the deal you feel comfortable with comes along.

I recently saw on Mecam Auto auction a ZR1 sell for 50k, so that shows that you never know when that great deal will be there for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Prices will probably go up because there will be no Z06, Grand Sport or ZR1 for years...
Just my prediction
I would also venture that due to the new government laws going into effect the C7 base model will not be what everyone is wishing for. We went through this in the early 70's and the cliff is coming again no matter how much people hope for a change for the better. Also the economy will be improving which will raise all prices maybe drastically due to the inflation we are going to have to endure eventually (see late 70's history). That will push people more toward used cars than new.

If you want the equivalent of the 1969 L88 or 1970 LS7, now is the time to get it.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

Remember back when C6 first appeared?? C5Z new/used prices increased.
EDIT: C5 prices did NOT increase....get my head out of my rear...
The C7 will not have a 'Z' model Vette for years to come. We're still over a year from C7 and the soonest we could hope for a 'Z' model is a year later but likely two because in order to out do the current C6 'Z' model Vettes, those cars will literally need to be explosive. Otherwise, why even go there.

We are repeating history here from late 60's-early 70's when engines lost power and got smaller due to CAFE and EPA....

Last edited by tim414; 07-25-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
bptuner
Pro

Sounds like my only hope is for the zr1 to drop and have those with z's to upgrade. Even then I have to agree with most of you I don't see the price changing much for another year + never the less my search will continue
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by tim414
Remember back when C6 first appeared?? C5Z new/used prices increased.

That was hardly the case. When the 2005 models were about to show up at GM dealers lots and for quite a while after they DID show up, brand new 2004's (C5) were selling at HUGE discounts. An example was the 2004 LeMans Commemorative Z06's were going for $15k off MSRP at this time...

Originally Posted by tim414
..........We are repeating history here from late 60's-early 70's when engines lost power and got smaller due to CAFE and EPA....
The C7 engine WILL get smaller and more efficient but don't expect less power or torque.
My guess is we'll most likely see a 5.5 liter direct injected engine in the C7 with plenty of power and plenty efficient..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by bptuner
Sounds like my only hope is for the zr1 to drop and have those with z's to upgrade. Even then I have to agree with most of you I don't see the price changing much for another year + never the less my search will continue
I think you may very well see ZR1 prices drop. There are quite a few of them made and sitting on lots all over the USA. AND, there are already plenty of Z06's in the used market at very nice prices...
Most (or many) that buy Z06's have given them some track time, but that's not really a bad thing.

All you can do is keep your eye on the market and if history repeats itself as it did in 2004 you should see some great deals on 2012 models starting around February.... (The C7 will debut in Detroit in January.
I'll be curiously watching the market as well. I'd love to have a ZR1...

Here's a good reason why I'd like a ZR1 ==> My Z06 trying to chase down a ZR1
Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
I would also venture that due to the new government laws going into effect the C7 base model will not be what everyone is wishing for. We went through this in the early 70's and the cliff is coming again no matter how much people hope for a change for the better. Also the economy will be improving which will raise all prices maybe drastically due to the inflation we are going to have to endure eventually (see late 70's history). That will push people more toward used cars than new.

If you want the equivalent of the 1969 L88 or 1970 LS7, now is the time to get it.

Bad history will repeat itself.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I think you may very well see ZR1 prices drop. There are quite a few of them made and sitting on lots all over the USA. AND, there are already plenty of Z06's in the used market at very nice prices...
Most (or many) that buy Z06's have given them some track time, but that's not really a bad thing.

All you can do is keep your eye on the market and if history repeats itself as it did in 2004 you should see some great deals on 2012 models starting around February.... (The C7 will debut in Detroit in January.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The C7 price will certainly not drop. Why would it??They are bringing out newer technology and so on. They may try to entice us with the old "it's priced 200 dollars less then last years base model..blah blah" but then you get whacked on package pricing.All this raising the C6 pricing 100 here and 100 there since 05 has become thousands without anyone really noticing! Whatever it cost.if it looks like that JALOPNIK drawing,I see rebates galore before to long!!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
The C7 price will certainly not drop. Why would it??They are bringing out newer technology and so on. They may try to entice us with the old "it's priced 200 dollars less then last years base model..blah blah" but then you get whacked on package pricing.All this raising the C6 pricing 100 here and 100 there since 05 has become thousands without anyone really noticing! Whatever it cost.if it looks like that JALOPNIK drawing,I see rebates galore before to long!!
Just like housing market get priced out getting a new Corvette.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM
bptuner
Pro

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
The only price increases I've seen on used C5Z has been since 2009, when NEW sales went south and half the potential buyers held their cards on buying them. Current C5 prices remind me of the real estate bubble not that long ago. It's gotten so out of hand that private parties are asking more than dlrs for C5. Same $$$ as in Jun 2007 in some some cases I've noted. I've followed that market.

btw: there's like 10K distance between KBB, owned by autotrader since 2010, and Edmunds for the same 03Z. KBB partners w/NADA, the dealer association. A member here observed that "KBB is just a data resource that will be worthless with a retail pressure to publish pricing that is like stepping on a scale".
there are c5s out there with prices over 25k and the cars have 50-100k miles on them.
i like the c5 but think the c6 is much more appealing and with there prices already down close to half what they cost new i feel they are a great buy. i guess for me its gonna come down to do i want to rent and own a vette or own a house and continue to drool over what i see on this site if the market doesnt change a little

Last edited by bptuner; 07-25-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 179 Posts

The Corvette market is quite confusing. The C5 is an antique as far as technology and style and it's still selling for, what I consider, prices which are much too high. The interior is like a Play School toy and the seats are ridiculous.
The C6 is a much better car in all respects but hasn't changed much since its' introduction in 2005. Seven years is an eternity in the design of modern cars and, as a consequence, is pretty "long in the tooth".
I've considered buying a 2008 Z06 but really can't justify the purchase of a car that doesn't look much different than mine (narrow body vs wide body) for an extra $30k, not withstanding the engine difference (I don't track my cars). I've noticed that the pricing in the last year have increased from $3-5,000. The only explanation is that the public sees the LS7 as an ending that has seen its' last days. Anyway, I've decided to wait for the second year of the C7 and keep my current car. I'm sure that I'll be paying list + for the C7. Good luck to all on whatever decision you make.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:49 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

[QUOTE=Glennm27;1581402190]That was hardly the case. When the 2005 models were about to show up at GM dealers lots and for quite a while after they DID show up, brand new 2004's (C5) were selling at HUGE discounts. An example was the 2004 LeMans Commemorative Z06's were going for $15k off MSRP at this time...

Sorry, bad choice of verbage on my part for sure. Going to edit my post...thanks...

I definitely know C5 prices did NOT increase..when I stated increased....I should have said firm (Z06)....I know this because we bought a new 2004.... the choice was between the Z06 or a Vert. They were discounting the Vert, but not the Z06. There were two 2005 coupes on lot then too. There were no '05 verts and of course no C6Z'. This was in the DFW market as well. This was our experience.

It is no guarantee that it would repeat either. Attempting to time the car market reminds me of the disclaimers you see with stock quotes...

With current tech I believe the 5.5 direct injection is what we'll see in C7 w/ decent hp numbers... But as time goes forward and the new CAFE rules and EPA standards for mileage/emissions increase, IMO we'll begin to see decreases in cube size. I don't think current tech would allow big hp motors with standards that start kicking in 2018 I think it is, and steadily get higher/more stringent as time moves fwd.

We all know this is what happened in 70's as well.

Add: for the record, when I say 'we' (buying new 2004 Vette), meaning my ex...who kept the car when we split and was bought and intended to be her car.

Last edited by tim414; 07-26-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Glennm27

Here's a good reason why I'd like a ZR1 ==> My Z06 trying to chase down a ZR1
Sweet video, nice lap

Get notified of new replies

To predictions on c6 and c6z prices

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
OMG
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who was eyeing the market the price on C5's when the C6's came all I noticed was the prices stagnated. Every who thinks that the vette will immediatly drop in value as soon as the next generation comes out, nobody realizes for every one person that is looking for the new Gen there are 3 eyeing the old hoping they can afford one. I was one of them. Look at prices of C4's they didn't go below $10k average unless it was a junker UNTIL the C6 came out.

C5's are STILL in the high teens low 20's for an average one at best.

Nobody realize that there are still MANY people that want a vette but cannot afford one so they"re waiting for a used one. Doesn't matter what generation as much, simply because the Corvette has always had great VALUE. if it's image you're after most people don't know the difference between a C4 and a C6. To them it's a corvette. If you're after performance, all of them are good, balanced platforms and there is a plethora of aftermarket goodies for them.

However I think the C6 will hold it's value just as well as the C5, simply because there was a lot less of them sold and a slightly shorter production run.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lavla
The Corvette market is quite confusing. The C5 is an antique as far as technology and style and it's still selling for, what I consider, prices which are much too high. The interior is like a Play School toy and the seats are ridiculous.
The C6 is a much better car in all respects but hasn't changed much since its' introduction in 2005. Seven years is an eternity in the design of modern cars and, as a consequence, is pretty "long in the tooth".
I've considered buying a 2008 Z06 but really can't justify the purchase of a car that doesn't look much different than mine (narrow body vs wide body) for an extra $30k, not withstanding the engine difference (I don't track my cars). I've noticed that the pricing in the last year have increased from $3-5,000. The only explanation is that the public sees the LS7 as an ending that has seen its' last days. Anyway, I've decided to wait for the second year of the C7 and keep my current car. I'm sure that I'll be paying list + for the C7. Good luck to all on whatever decision you make.
C-5 interior made by Rubbermaid.
Sit in a 2005 then sit in a new Corvette doesn't feel any different as far as interior and exterior goes. Styling is still very similiar after 6+ years but of course prices have gone up.

Quick Reply: predictions on c6 and c6z prices