C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shift Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Paddle Shift Question

Actually it is two questions. The first one is just traded my '01 6 speed for an'07 with the paddle shift. When you put it in the S mode to paddle shift is it suppose to show the 1-6 in the DIC as it does in the '08? next if mine is set for me to use the paddles, and I start out, and the car ahead is just moving at a slow rate, it shift automatically, is that normal or is there and issue I need to have addressed?
Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have the HUD option, your gear selection should be in the DIC.

In Sport mode with paddles enabled, you will have to manually up shift. If you are in a higher gear, then slow down without down shifting, the A6 will down shift for you so you don't stall the engine.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
scars10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the sport mode, until you use a paddle it will shift normally, once you paddle then it's up to you. Like the other reply, if you forget to downshift it will drop into 2nd gear at stop. I like it.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

S mode works like D until you use the paddles.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Yes, once you use the paddles, you must do the upshifting with the paddles. But the tranny will downshift for you as it needs to. And, as previously mentioned, if you have the HUD, the gear you're in will display on the HUD. If no HUD, I've been told it will display on the DIC.

However, if you've put the tranny in Sport Mode, there will be no gear display until you use the paddles. Also, the tranny will do all the upshifting and downshifting for you until you use the paddles.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JimTN
Yes, once you use the paddles, you must do the upshifting with the paddles. But the tranny will downshift for you as it needs to. And, as previously mentioned, if you have the HUD, the gear you're in will display on the HUD. If no HUD, I've been told it will display on the DIC.

However, if you've put the tranny in Sport Mode, there will be no gear display until you use the paddles. Also, the tranny will do all the upshifting and downshifting for you until you use the paddles.
I believe the HUD must be in city mode. Just like for the Nav and my V1 radar detector.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wayback
I believe the HUD must be in city mode. Just like for the Nav and my V1 radar detector.
"Street Mode".
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

OK, thanks everyone. It has the HUD as it is a 3LT. I have only had the car for 3 days so I am still trying to feel it out. All I can say is this is a lot more car then my '01 6 speed. It is funny when I had the '01 I was on the C5 section of course and to hear everyone over there say how they would never trade their C5 for a C6. Well they sure don't know what they are missing.
This is an 11,000 mile beauty. there is not a mark on it, it is like brand new. The previous owner had the Z06 rear quarters installed and it has the big 13" wheels in the back. I have only tried the Sport mode a few times and was a little confused that when I pulled out it shifted. It did not come with the owners manual.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TR6speed
It did not come with the owners manual.
Go here to download an electronic copy of the 2007 owner's manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/owners/manuals.do

And don't forget to update your profile page.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM
wayback
Team Owner

"Street Mode".
Old 07-27-2012, 01:29 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Go here to download an electronic copy of the 2007 owner's manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/owners/manuals.do

And don't forget to update your profile page.
I tried the site, but it does not seem to work. It say to add the year, make and model, but I cannot get that to fill in plus GM has an ad that covers the top part of the page and no way to close it.
Thanks, I did forget about the profile. It is changed.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

2007 owners manual... http://www.c6registry.com/Technical/...07corvette.pdf

found a little down on this FAQ link... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...questions.html
Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
cubsws21
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
The HUD can be in any mode. I always use the HUD in track mode and it shows the gears.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
Thanks, I found it and saved it as a book mark.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

It works really good once you get used to it
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

it should not be upshifting once you have engaged the paddles, and the gear should display in the HUD once the paddles are engaged regardless of the HUD mode
Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
it should not be upshifting once you have engaged the paddles, and the gear should display in the HUD once the paddles are engaged regardless of the HUD mode
I have only tried it a few times and I think what I am doing is putting it in the sport mode and then starting off. I thought it would automatically be in first and would not shift. So if I understand it correctly, I put the car in S (Sport Mode) press the up shift and that will set the manual shifting. If I should simply step on the gas it will automatically shift unless I press the up shift lever say in second or third then it is set in the manual. I will try it out tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shift Question

Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by rcallen484
And to then get out of paddle mode just hold a paddle down for 3 seconds. Even in "D" you can paddle shift and it will start showing you the gear you are in. The difference is that it will automatically come out of paddle mode some number of seconds (not sure how many) after paddle last used. Those who dis the A6 have no clue how much fun they can be!
The features you are describing do not apply to an '07 A6, only the newer cars function that way.

OP- If you are stopped and you put the car in S Auto and then hit the down-shift paddle, you will start in first gear and be in paddle mode.

If you are stopped and you put it in S Auto mode and then you up-shift with the paddle, you will start in second gear, or you can hit the up-shift paddle again and even start in third gear. It won't let you start in fourth.

As stated above, when you are using the paddles the car will not up-shift for you, but as you come to a stop, the car will down-shift automatically, but it will stop at second gear. You must down-shift to first with the paddle.

Any time/any speed you want to get out of paddle mode, just move the shifter to D, and either leave it there or put it right back into S Auto.

Congrats on the new car, definitely get your Owners Manual, there are a lot of idiosyncrasies about the C6 that aren't very intuitive.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I have only tried it a few times and I think what I am doing is putting it in the sport mode and then starting off. I thought it would automatically be in first and would not shift. So if I understand it correctly, I put the car in S (Sport Mode) press the up shift and that will set the manual shifting. If I should simply step on the gas it will automatically shift unless I press the up shift lever say in second or third then it is set in the manual. I will try it out tomorrow.
try it, at least 50% of my city driving is done in paddle shift mode
Old 07-27-2012, 09:02 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I know they have changed or updated the Paddle features several times since it came about in 2006. I like the Paddle features but I just dont use them very often. It seems that just about every time I start messing around in my 2009 I learn something new. The last time when I changed satellite radio stations that also showed up on the Hud for a few seconds after the change.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Question