C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Systems

Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Navigation Systems

For those people trying to decide what nav system(s) to use in their C6, I've compiled the following list of features based on my experience. Please read it and tell me what changes you would make on the list

I'm not interested in anyone's "the xxx unit really sucks" comments, they all have issues and each person has different needs and preferences. Just tell me what I need to add to the list to make it complete.

EDITED TO SHOW LATEST VERSION:

Here we go:
C6 NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPARISONS
v 2.0 08-16-2012

If you have a C6 Corvette, there are many different navigation systems you can use to help find your way around the country. After using most of them for a while, here are my observations. All will work, none are perfect. Pick the system that meets your needs:

C6 Factory Nav: Easy to buy, no installation problems, covered by 3/36 and GMPP warranties, projects turn/distance data onto HUD, mutes music for voice directions, many features, continues calculating position for a few minutes if you lose GPS signal, highly theft resistant.
But- expensive to buy/update, repairs not convenient, unless a cutout switch is installed can only enter first page of Previous Destinations + 6 presets while moving, non-intuitive to use, requires mod to install backup camera, early units had no Bluetooth/Ipod, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav: Cheaper to buy/update, usually easy to use, allows entries while moving, most will accept backup camera, may produce better music, may have other nice feature like traffic/redlight/speed cameras.
But- Requires separate purchase, installation not simple, improper installation can cause other problems, dealers sometimes want to blame any electrical issues on aftermarket unit, shorter warranty, repairs not convenient, no information on HUD, may not mute music, older units may not have Bluetooth/Ipod/voice commands, features/reliability/friendliness vary with brand/model, sometimes more easily stolen, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Garmin, etc: Cheap to buy/update, easy to use, allows entries while moving, portable, easily replaced.
But- Smaller screen, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, needs power wire, shorter warranty, no information on HUD, does not mute music, invites theft/broken windows if left visible, not easily wired to backup camera, can look “cheap”, many do not accept voice commands, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Cellphone Nav: Easy to buy, up to date maps, may be easy to use, allows entries while moving, may have many features.
But- Small screen and keys, no information on HUD, must be removed/replaced from your belt each time you drive/exit, shorter battery life or needs power cord, aftermarket apps may be unreliable/expensive, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, voice directions can be hard to understand and don’t mute music, most won’t work if you don’t have cellphone coverage, after an accident/crime you may not be able to find your phone, invites theft/broken windows if left in car, cellphone use while driving may be illegal, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Paper Map: Cheap, portable, good for trip planning, gives you the “Big Picture”.
But- Usually dangerous to use solo while driving, requires you to determine your current location, scale is usually too big or too small, no POI information, may need to order in advance for long trips.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-17-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

1. New C6 with Nav
2. Never had a nav system
3. Can't figure the darn thing out
4. Too confusing
5. Back to using paper maps
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM
fairlydangerous1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2008 C6 factory NAV.....no Ipod/aux input jack.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
scars10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about Onstar turn by turn? Anyone use this?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks good, I would add with after marker that it interfaces with the audio system usually improving the audio system quality and features.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I have a portable Garmin in my truck....when travel in my Vert, the Nav Screen is a GREAT place to mount the Garmin. I use a black tie wrap for the power cord and plut it into the power supply....And, I won't say that the OEM unit SUCKS.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the nav systems I've seen have options for quickest route, shortest route, and so forth. I want a system that has an option to choose the best sports car route!

One thing I'd add to the features list for the OEM system is that it will continue to track even when you lose the GPS signal, such as in a parking garage, and it can tell when you are moving in reverse. The portable systems cannot do this. I think some of the aftermarket in-dash units can do this if properly wired in, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

I have (2) 2012 GMC vehicles. The Acadia Denali is DVD driven and my Sierra HD Denali is hard drive driven. The HDD is superior to DVD. GM needs to use the same unit in all vehicles. Makes no sense!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Z06RL
1. New C6 with Nav
4. Too confusing
Spend 15 minutes with someone who understands the system, and you'll be able to use 90% of the functions. It's not that tough.

Originally Posted by scars10
What about Onstar turn by turn? Anyone use this?
Onstar doesn't have a map screen like the others, but would still be worth including. But I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Looks good, I would add with after marker that it interfaces with the audio system usually improving the audio system quality and features.
Can you give some details on that, generic enough that I can include them?

Originally Posted by xf1902
All of the nav systems I've seen have options for quickest route, shortest route, and so forth. I want a system that has an option to choose the best sports car route!

One thing I'd add to the features list for the OEM system is that it will continue to track even when you lose the GPS signal, such as in a parking garage, and it can tell when you are moving in reverse. The portable systems cannot do this. I think some of the aftermarket in-dash units can do this if properly wired in, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, a "Sports Car Route" option. Sign me up!
Can anyone else comment about the GPS signal navigation idea? I know it exists, but can't compare any of the non-factory units in that regard.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 08-09-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Can anyone else comment about the GPS signal navigation idea? I know it exists, but can't compare any of the non-factory units in that regard.
I'm not at all certain what if any purpose there would be for that. You're in a garage or tunnel...pop out the other side and there you are again.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by xf1902

Take the paper map and use it to build a route on the Garmin !
Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saplumr
I'm not at all certain what if any purpose there would be for that. You're in a garage or tunnel...pop out the other side and there you are again.
I've found it useful in a garage where there are several exits, none of them on the same side as the entrance. Makes it easier to know in advance which way to turn as you exit onto the street. Nice, but not a deal breaker.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Sooo Bad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Spend 15 minutes with someone who understands the system, and you'll be able to use 90% of the functions. It's not that tough."

Ahhh, I tried to program my Vette GPS to find just "one" of the known THREE individuals who know the system, but of course, it could not find them.
I am far from a genius, but I can get my Garmin to understand my requests and it does not require me to find someone who understands the system. Seriously, there is no comparison between a factory unit and a solid aftermarket unit, even if you just stop with a cost comparison.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Take the paper map and use it to build a route on the Garmin !
That's an important point. Too many people think they can pick a nav system that is best for everything. I use paper maps for trip planning and then keep them folded properly and handy in the car. The built-in car nav or a Garmin is used for most enroute work; cellphone nav as a backup, for walking, or for rental cars if my wife will be along.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:35 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06RL
1. New C6 with Nav
4. Too confusing
What I can't figure out is how a guy who can afford a brand new 427 Convertible can't figure out how to use the nav system. Sorry, but I just can't make sense of that.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Sooo Bad
"Spend 15 minutes with someone who understands the system, and you'll be able to use 90% of the functions. It's not that tough."

Ahhh, I tried to program my Vette GPS to find just "one" of the known THREE individuals who know the system, but of course, it could not find them.
I am far from a genius, but I can get my Garmin to understand my requests and it does not require me to find someone who understands the system. Seriously, there is no comparison between a factory unit and a solid aftermarket unit, even if you just stop with a cost comparison.
Go back and read the original post.

There are things the factory nav can do that the aftermarket units can't. They are listed there for you to read.
There are things the aftermarket units can do that the factory unit can't. They are listed there for you to read.

Each person needs to figure out what best suits their needs and wants, not what's best for me or for you.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:41 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sooo Bad
Seriously, there is no comparison between a factory unit and a solid aftermarket unit, even if you just stop with a cost comparison.
I've had the best Pioneer had to offer, the AVIC Z130BT in one of my trucks and found it to be inferior to the factory unit. So it's all a matter of opinion and nothing more.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation Systems

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An aftermarket unit like the Garmin sitting atop the dash is more line of sight, or "heads-up" than the factory NAV which sits much lower.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laconiajack
An aftermarket unit like the Garmin sitting atop the dash is more line of sight, or "heads-up" than the factory NAV which sits much lower.
Unless of course you have HUD.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Fixed...

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
For those people trying to decide what nav system(s) to use in their C6, I've compiled the following list of features based on my experience. Please read it and tell me what changes you would make on the list

I'm not interested in anyone's "the xxx unit really sucks" comments, they all have issues and each person has different needs and preferences. Just tell me what I need to add to the list to make it complete.

Here we go:

C6 NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPARISONS v 1.0

If you have a C6 Corvette, there are many different navigation systems you can use to help find your way around the country. After using most of them for a while, here are my observations:

C6 Factory Nav: Easy to buy, no installation problems, covered by 3/36 and GMPP warranties, projects turn/distance data onto HUD, mutes music for voice directions, many features, highly theft resistant.
But- expensive to buy/update, repairs not convenient, unless a cutout switch is installed can only enter first page of Previous Destinations while moving, non-intuitive to use, requires mod to install backup camera, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav: Cheaper to buy/update, usually easy to use, allows entries while moving, most will accept backup camera, may have many other nice features.
But- Requires professional installation, no information on HUD, has mute music touchscreen, features and reliability vary with brand/model, Not more easily stolen than factory NAV, Does not require a retarded DVD purchase to update. Has iPOD/iPhone/Android built in integration with bluetooth built in.

Garmin, etc: Cheap to buy/update, easy to use, allows entries while moving, portable, easily replaced.
But- Smaller screen, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, needs power wire, shorter warranty, no information on HUD, does not mute music, invites theft/broken windows if left visible, not easily wired to backup camera, can look “cheap”, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Cellphone Nav: Easy to buy, up to date maps, may be easy to use, allows entries while moving, may have many features.
But- Small screen, no information on HUD, must be removed/replaced from your belt each time you drive/exit, shorter battery life or needs power cord, aftermarket apps may be unreliable/expensive, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, voice directions can be hard to understand and don’t mute music, most won’t work if you don’t have cellphone coverage, after an accident/crime you may not be able to find your phone, invites theft/broken windows if left in car, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Paper Map: Cheap, portable, good for trip planning, gives you the “Big Picture”.
But- Can be dangerous to use while moving, requires you to determine your current location, scale is usually too big or too small, no POI information, may need to order in advance for long trips.

You will note that I have listed "Sometimes produces goofy routings" as a characteristic of every unit (except paper maps). In my experience, all of them do it sometimes. All of them can't find a particular address sometimes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Navigation Systems