C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy ZL1 over Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default Would you buy ZL1 over Grand Sport?

(Note: I also have an SUV, but Corvette is my daily driver)

I already have a '12 Grand Sport Coupe, but since we had our first child in January, it has literally become my solo car. No more taking the vette for a weekend errand as a family; you get the picture.

Due to this, I have been interested in the Camaro ZL1 since it was released. It is a 4 seater, packs pretty much the whole technology package of a ZR1 with an LSA instead of an LS9 and with a much heavier (but also very very stiff due to Australian regulations) chassis. It even has the much-better updated magnetic shocks and PTM, and the asking price is reasonable: MSRP starts around 56K including destination.

Today, I was finally able to make a good deal with one of the local dealers. Basically, the price is a bit below invoice for a black ZL1, and 52.5K trade-in for my 3LT manual Grand Sport. The difference I need to pay is about $3120, which I think is reasonable. I just made the test drive and the dealer is now waiting for my decision(!!!).

Actually all was well until I made the test drive. Now I feel like I would be downgrading if I did the move, all in the name of those additional seats:

Better:
  • The manual shifts like butter, even better than my '12 GS's shifter, which is much improved compared to my '06 Z06's. I also did a few rev-matched down shifts and it was quite easy and enjoyable. This was actually the best feature of the car for me.
  • I loved the back-up camera. I hope GM makes it standard for C7.
  • ZL1 looks very nice from outside. Corvettes also look very nice and they look like a proper GT sports car, but C6 has been around forever, and there're very few ZL1 around. I'll attach the pics..
  • The suede steering wheel and the shifter had a great feel. I guess this is very similar to the option we have for vettes..
  • Many of the ZL1s sold for over MSRP, and it is likely going to hold its value better than our C6 Corvettes..
  • It is significantly higher. I don't think it would scrape anywhere I daily drive and scrape through with my vette.

Worse:
  • I am supposed to fall in love with the 580 HP, right? I didn't. Perhaps my butt-dyno is numb (even though I'm relatively young), but it just didn't feel any quicker than my Grand Sport. When you work out the numbers, a car at 4100lbs like the ZL1 would need to have at least 540 hp to feel just as strong as a 3311 lb Grand Sport (4100x436/3311=539.89). ZL1 is 580 HP, so it should feel stronger, but perhaps it wasn't making that power or the difference is too little for me to notice with the salesman as a shotgun.
  • I realized soon after our test drive started (I waited for warm-up) that the oil temp shot to 220 degrees F. It was 91 degrees outside; could this be what is killing the HP? Moreover, what would the temps be at the track? I certainly wouldn't want to drive it if it hits 300 degrees in a hurry...
  • Speaking of oil, ZL1 does not come with a dry-sump even though it's advertised track ready. Perhaps this might also explain why it shot so quickly to 220 degrees (besides the obvious answer of having that supercharger on it )? The oil pressure gauge maxes out at 70 PSI (even lower than base Corvette's gauge), which also tells me there's no high pressure oil pump at work here. Considering LSA is still an LS engine, it might cause issues should the owner replace the tires with stickier ones for track use.
  • Visibility: It's not just bad, it is dangerously bad. The car as a whole feels like a bunker, and makes you feel a bit claustrophobic. I would think twice to even put a phone mount during a track day since it would hurt what little visibility I have. You also sit very low compared to trim line, and dash.
  • Brakes are same as CTS-V as far as I've heard, and they are high quality Brembo units. Yet, they felt initially numb, and they did not give me as much confidence as my GS's 'lower quality' PBR brakes. I guess it's the weight of the car, but still, I'd hope for better.
  • Gauges: The DIC is not as useful as Corvettes'. Instead of having dedicated buttons for Fuel, Trip, Vehicle Info, Options, etc., you have a "Mode" button that goes through the list, and then you "Click" on the mode you'd like to explore further. It's not a big deal, but worth noting that it's not as easy to use as our cars'. I liked the HUD's color, though.

What do you guys think? Would you move on to ZL1 and stay with one for a few years until all C7 models are out with good deals? I need to get back to dealer soon, but honestly I think I'll stay with the GS.

Last edited by X25; 01-05-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car, I looked at them before buying my Vette. They are just not a Vette, but you need a back seat, I was in your place a few years ago. Hold your nose and buy it, it is a nice car.

Did I mention it's not a Vette?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

if you need the seats you need the seats. I am not a fan of the camaro for some of the reasons you listed. That being said if you want to take the kid along you need the seats. Car and driver in last months issue reviewed it vis a vis the shelby and despite the HP lag liked it better. Have you thought of a CTV sedan? A bit more money but a nicer car all in all then the camaro.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep the Grand Sport! Completely different car than the ZL1.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

CTS-V. Wagon even if you plan on making more.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
darbn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plmkrzy
Keep the Grand Sport! Completely different car than the ZL1.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

The fact that you enjoy cars with your family and it's not an option to add another fun 4 seated car....then Yes make the move. That would be reason enough for me. Considering the deal you got, you should have drove home with it today. ZL1s are awesome cars.

I completely understand the family thing.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you absolutely have to have a backseat (which is tiny and virtually unusable anyway, even for car seats and little kids), then get a Shelby GT500...or even a Boss 302.

The Camaro is ugly.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

why not get an inexpensive (under $10K o-t-d) but likely reliable used 4-dr sedan (mid-size) as an extra car and just keep the 'vette ?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I like the new Camaro and if we could only keep two vehicles I would consider the new ZL1
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your wife have a car you can use for the family? If so keep the Vette. I looked at the ZL1 and it just feels soooo big. The Corvette feels like a fighter plane. A few months ago dealers around her were asking 10k over sticker. If you need the room I would do it. You would get use to it... I think
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
why not get an inexpensive (under $10K o-t-d) but likely reliable used 4-dr sedan (mid-size) as an extra car and just keep the 'vette ?
I should've mentioned, I also have a '11 Durango, which is what we use for family trips. It sometimes gets boring to use a big numb SUV for all our trips, though. I guess ZL1's rear seats are not that useful even for a baby anyway

Last edited by X25; 08-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Slare
CTS-V. Wagon even if you plan on making more.
or 2013 GT500. F the ZL1
Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

that bunker/visibility thing is something I notice in a lot of cars, and this one in particular at the showroom---no need to drive. I think you are paying a high price, figuratively speaking, for extra seats. look, if you need the seats, get something that makes sense in every way, or as many as possible. if you wreck because you can't see out of the car, what's the good of that?

and note, there are brembos and there are brembos. a 3300 lb. car with them was reviewed on autoguide.com or some such site, w. brembos, and the thing started fading on the track. the guy testing is a racer and said it was dangerously fading. go, stop, handle, all important in my book.

I'm sure not directing you toward a BM, but if you need seats for a few years until you get everything incl. a C7 all sorted out, do it. or a Cad., or Impala, or whatever. just be careful of your compromises; they can hurt.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Where are these cars at? Most stuff under $10k here has high miles or is junk and/or overpriced.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
spoon man
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Is the vette your daily driver? Sorry if I missed it, long read and my wife is yapping away lol
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's my take. I was on the list for a 2013 ZL1 convertible. I really wanted this car and not because I need the backseat because I don't. I found a preliminary price sheet for the ZL1 convertible and with the options I wanted and the FL sales tax I was looking at ~$70K. Then Chevy announced the 427 convertible. My wife and I went back and forth on this issue and the 427 won out as a better deal. With options and the sales tax I'm at $82K. Yes that's a $12K difference but I feel in the long run I'm getting a better overall package that suits my needs.

The ZL1 was going to be an auto trans since it was to be my wife's DD. There is a $2600 gas guzzler tax added. You get absolutely nothing for your money. The 427 does not have a GG tax. I pay enough tax as it is so I could not justify the GG tax. My wife conceded the auto (since the 427 does not get one) in exchange for taking my current 06 convertible as her "new" DD. We both win.

Bottom line, keep your GS and use something else for when the three of you must travel together.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you buy ZL1 over Grand Sport?

Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Here we go again....

No, it's not a corvette.....
It really does not have a REAL backseat...
And in the end it's still a Camaro...

If that's what you want..get it.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 5th gen Camaro. I've owned two 3rd gen and one 4th gen F-bodies, so I'm not biased against them, but the current model is just not a very good car.

I've had them as rentals several times. They're well-made and nice highway cruisers, but they feel about three times bigger than they are, and the lack of visibility is criminal. It's a car where everything, including functionality, took a back seat to exterior design. The back seats don't even have as much room as the 3rd/4th gens.

They don't feel nearly as fast as they are, kind of the opposite of something like Miata or BRZ that isn't nearly as fast as it feels.

I'd look at a CTS-V before a ZL1, as suggested above.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:56 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I wouldn't have a problem driving one of these for a while.At 580,the numbers don't lie.It's fast.Weight notwithstanding.