C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Change & Settings Saver

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:06 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Battery Change & Settings Saver

Well, I finally bit the bullet and changed out my battery after 6 years and 8 months of OEM service. My car built date was 02/06, so the Delco battery was probably built in Jan 06. I bought the car in April 06. Anyway the Delco was still going strong but I thought I was pushing my luck to try and keep in service any longer since I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. However, my hat is off to Delco OEM batteries. So I popped in a COSTCO 100 month guaranteed battery. I have had very good experience with their batteries in the past and the price is hard to beat.

Several threads in the past have discussed whether Setting Saver devices that plug into the cigarette lighter actually do work and preserve your car's settings when you disconnect your battery for a changeout or other reason. Some use a 9 volt battery, others plug in to 120V power source. I bought one of the 120V devices from Amazon and used it during my battery install as an experiment. Here's what happened: SAVED - window indexing, radio presets, power seat and outside mirror memory settings. LOST - Ave MPG, Ave Speed, clock setting.

So, it's a mixed bag. Some things saved, others lost. Is it worth buying one of these things? I'd say it depends on your perspective. They don't cost much (about $10 or so) so each of us has to decide for ourselves. I'll probably keep mine in my toolbox for future use, but others may say it's not worth the time or expense. Anyway, hope my experience is helpful to others.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Well, I finally bit the bullet and changed out my battery after 6 years and 8 months of OEM service. My car built date was 02/06, so the Delco battery was probably built in Jan 06. I bought the car in April 06. Anyway the Delco was still going strong but I thought I was pushing my luck to try and keep in service any longer since I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. However, my hat is off to Delco OEM batteries. So I popped in a COSTCO 100 month guaranteed battery. I have had very good experience with their batteries in the past and the price is hard to beat.

Several threads in the past have discussed whether Setting Saver devices that plug into the cigarette lighter actually do work and preserve your car's settings when you disconnect your battery for a changeout or other reason. Some use a 9 volt battery, others plug in to 120V power source. I bought one of the 120V devices from Amazon and used it during my battery install as an experiment. Here's what happened: SAVED - window indexing, radio presets, power seat and outside mirror memory settings. LOST - Ave MPG, Ave Speed, clock setting.

So, it's a mixed bag. Some things saved, others lost. Is it worth buying one of these things? I'd say it depends on your perspective. They don't cost much (about $10 or so) so each of us has to decide for ourselves. I'll probably keep mine in my toolbox for future use, but others may say it's not worth the time or expense. Anyway, hope my experience is helpful to others.
Strange......I changed my original battery this past May ( 5 years ) and did not lose one setting....I was worried about losing everything but went ahead and just did it. Guess I was just lucky.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Interesting - one would think all or none.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I've had my '06 OEM battery disconnected several times and replaced it this summer.

Had to re-index the windows every time and re-set the clock only once. Everything else was retained.

Re-set operations never took more than a minute.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
I've had my '06 OEM battery disconnected several times and replaced it this summer.

Had to re-index the windows every time and re-set the clock only once. Everything else was retained.Re-set operations never took more than a minute.
I think you probably lost Ave MPG and Ave Speed. I lost those with batt disconnected for Header installation.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Change & Settings Saver

Quick Reply: Battery Change & Settings Saver