C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red light on rear view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Default Red light on rear view mirror?

The other night I was out and about and noticed on the lower right side of the rear view mirror a red light was on. Never saw that before. I know the green one on the left means the auto dimming is turned on but what does the red one on the right mean? I couldn't tell if it was on during the day but the next night it was off. I looked through the manual and could not find anything about it. I don't know if there is an Onstar manual that tells about it. If there is I don't have it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No..it's not the map light.

It means your ONSTAR is not functioning properly.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jbomx363
No..it's not the map light.

It means your ONSTAR is not functioning properly.
Right. The OnStar manual says that if that red light is lit, you should push the blue button with the "ON" on it and ask an OnStar adviser to run a diagnostic check. If you cannot connect to OnStar, please visit a dealer for service ASAP.

Map lights are white, on the bottom of the mirror.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 08-20-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tab bit of confusion here.....Jim is correct about the map/courtesy light on the bottom of the mirror....There is an orange/red light that is on....only when the headlights are on .....to the right of the mirror... so Purvey is mostly correct.....I don't believe that this particular light has anything to do with diagnostic behavior....as I have not been hooked up with ON-Star for years and my Z is running just fine.....maybe talking about a different red light on the mirror though
Old 08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Tab bit of confusion here.....Jim is correct about the map/courtesy light on the bottom of the mirror....There is an orange/red light that is on....only when the headlights are on .....to the right of the mirror... so Purvey is mostly correct.....I don't believe that this particular light has anything to do with diagnostic behavior....as I have not been hooked up with ON-Star for years and my Z is running just fine.....maybe talking about a different red light on the mirror though
Thanks~
Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Obviously its not the map light. I'm not that stupid.
My Onstar is the old analog version and has never been connected or updated to the digital one. The red light has never been on before. I don't know how there can be a malfunction with a system that isn't even used. If it is an Onstar related light I won't worry about it. Thanks.

Last edited by EVRose; 08-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Obviously its not the map light. I'm not that stupid.
My Onstar is the old analog version and has never been connected or updated to the digital one. The red light has never been on before. I don't know how there can be a malfunction with a system that isn't even used. If it is an Onstar related light I won't worry about it. Thanks.
Well you know what they say, "there's no such thing as stupid answers, just stupid questions". That's how it goes, right?? KIDDING.

I obviously misunderstood location of the light you we're asking about. The pic included in your above post would have been a great help with that.

BTW, many people have been confused by the red ambient light included in some cars, I don't think that any of them are stupid for asking about it.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by purvistechie
Well you know what they say, "there's no such thing as stupid answers, just stupid questions". That's how it goes, right?? KIDDING.

I obviously misunderstood location of the light you we're asking about. The pic included in your above post would have been a great help with that.

BTW, many people have been confused by the red ambient light included in some cars, I don't think that any of them are stupid for asking about it.
I said "I'm not that stupid". You were supposed to say "How Stupid Are You?"
Yeah, I took the picture after I asked the question.
Oh, and I have that ambient light and when I first got the car 2 years ago I was one of those who asked what it was.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
RedRider1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's big brother watching you......
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

This should answer your question. From the 2007 service manual::: The OnStar status LED is located to the right of the emergency button on a mirror-mounted assembly. When the LED is red.this indicates a system malfunction is present. In the event there is a system malfunction and the OnStar system is still able to make a call,the LED will flash red during the call .
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I bet I know your issue EVRose. And a heads up you probably didn't know . The red light can be a malfunction IF YOU'RE SUBSCRIBED. My guess is you're probably not, and the red light means just that. HOWEVER, GM has the right to track your car wherever it goes for 'research purposes' (or some crap like that), UNLESS YOU OPT OUT. Same thing with your phone service, credit cards, etc. The good news is if you call OnStar to opt out, they have to comply, and you can tell by the red light going out (no light at all) . Hope this helps man.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Sounds like a small piece of black electrical tape is the perfect remedy, along with the pulling of a fuse.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Sounds like a small piece of black electrical tape is the perfect remedy, along with the pulling of a fuse.
Not quite, at least on '09+ cars man. You'd lose Bluetooth as well . Takes 5 minutes to call and opt out.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent picture and it certainly clears up the Op's post....and everybody's answer.....I believe that we are all correct.....depending on what we thought the issue was....ha
Old 08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I bet I know your issue EVRose. And a heads up you probably didn't know . The red light can be a malfunction IF YOU'RE SUBSCRIBED. My guess is you're probably not, and the red light means just that. HOWEVER, GM has the right to track your car wherever it goes for 'research purposes' (or some crap like that), UNLESS YOU OPT OUT. Same thing with your phone service, credit cards, etc. The good news is if you call OnStar to opt out, they have to comply, and you can tell by the red light going out (no light at all) . Hope this helps man.
Good info but they can't track me. The 05 had an analog Onstar system. When TV went digital and you could not longer get analog channels Onstar did the same thing. They went digital and if I did want to subscribe I'd first have to have my system converted over to the digital at the dealer. The conversion is free if I subscribe (which I'm not). If I leave it as is all they will get if they try to track it is static. The light went out on its own. If it comes on again I'll just not care about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by EVRose
If it comes on again I'll just not care about it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Black sharpie or touch up paint and forget about it
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by binster
Black sharpie or touch up paint and forget about it
Its already forgotten.

Get notified of new replies

To Red light on rear view mirror?

Quick Reply: Red light on rear view mirror?