C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of Corsa Sport on my 05

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of Corsa Sport on my 05

So I picked up a Corsa Sport axle back for my LS2 C6. Here is my review of the system.

Pros:

Nice construction
Lighter
Sounds great
Feels like the motor runs stronger
No drone
looks great

Cons:

Expensive for what you get

Let me first say that I have never been a fan of the natural sound of any LSx engine. Coming from the world of of Ford windsor engines, where all you need is some cheap flowmasters to make terrific sound, the LS engine is a bit of a dissapointment. I noticed LS engine have a slightly higher pitch than SB chevy and Ford engines have. Trying to pair traditional "muscle car" exhausts with LS engines result in an unappealing and unrefined exhaust note. A Corvette is a world class sports car, the exhaust note should not be the same as a Chevy 1500 with straight pipes.

First I tried a set of LTs with the stock exhaust. The power was great but the sound was not.. the unrefined ticking of the valvetrain combined with a tailpipe sound of a pulling tractor. I understand LTs make power, but my major complaint was sound not power. I tried the them because I fell into a hell of a deal on them. So the headers came out and the stock exhaust went back in.

I knew I would need something to tune the natural sound of an LS. My internet search led me to Corsa. From all the sound clips I heard I thought the Corsas did the best job of embracing and making the most of the LS sound. I was lucky enough to find a used setup for a resonable price and threw them in. This system sounds miles better than the stock setup or LTs with stock mufflers. The sound clips actually don't do it justice, they sound much more full, in person.

I do understand why some people say they have a euro sound. As soon as I heard them they remind me of the sound of a German V8, specifically the V8 in the Porsche Cayenne or Panamera. Euro or not I like the sound, I think the sound is a better match to a high performance sports car. I am just the kind of person who does not want their Corvette to sound like a Chevelle.

As far as specifics, the Corsa sounds best a 1.5-4.5k rpms at medium to high loads. The sound at idle is OK, it reminds me of a motor boat. At the very top end under high loads more of the natural LS sound comes through, but it still sounds good. As far as as sound level, it's about perfect. You know its there pretty much all the time, but if you want it to sound stock, just go up a gear...best of both worlds. There is no drone at any rpm or load. After experiencing the Corsa sport, I question the need for a touring model. I think the Extreme would be a choice for any car without LTs.

As far as price, I would never by this system new. 1300 dollars for two mufflers and two axle pipes is crazy. Go used and enjoy great sound, at least the feeling of more power, top notch construction with no drone.

Corsa Sport 4.5/5 stars!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I was just talking about this last night, but in the future I plan to do long tubes I would be putting on the X pipe as well. Yes, 2k seems like a lot of money (more than I want to spend) but I figure you pay that much because its a good product.

You are right, the LS engine sounds different, I believe it to be the firing order. This is my 4th one and they dont sound bad in stock form but need some help.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

They do sound good but I took mine off and went another direction.

They're a little "tinny" and Euro sounding to me.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my Xtreme's (stock manifolds).
Old 08-28-2012, 03:28 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
They do sound good but I took mine off and went another direction.

They're a little "tinny" and Euro sounding to me.
What direction?

I have had quite a few GM V8s and want this to sound the best as I can with the stock manifolds.

1. Nice strong idle but not too loud.
2. Nice cruising without the drone.
3. When I am WOT I want someone to look back from 2 counties to see me. lol
Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice review and Corsa's are awesome catback
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice write up, a lot of folks love 'em. But I 'd knock a full point off for sounding like a motor boat at idle, unless your talking about a drag boat
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

I have Corsa Sport. Love them but want louder, Will try long tube headders next.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Good write up

I have the Corsa Sport too and like it just fine but I wouldn't mind if it was louder at idle. It does have that different bubbly sound to it.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
Good write up

I have the Corsa Sport too and like it just fine but I wouldn't mind if it was louder at idle. It does have that different bubbly sound to it.
Bubbly is a great description, there are a few high powered trucks and other muscle cars in my neighboehood that sound good but none sound as good as the corsa, it is very unique. One can always tell when my vette is coming home.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
What direction?

I have had quite a few GM V8s and want this to sound the best as I can with the stock manifolds.

1. Nice strong idle but not too loud.
2. Nice cruising without the drone.
3. When I am WOT I want someone to look back from 2 counties to see me. lol
Twin turbos.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am amazed that someone would take LT headers off because the sound was not aggressive enough. Headers were never designed to enhance the sound of an engine, to my thinking, even though they add to the sound when you do other muffler work. What happens cat converters back is where the sound factor is involved.

I had B&B axle backs on my LS2 that sounded pretty aggressive without headers, but acceptable. I bought them at a good price used even though I intended to do headers and HF cats at some point in time. A short time later, I installed LG headers and the sound became so aggressive, I couldn't enjoy driving my car. So, off came the B&Bs, not the headers because the headers added power. So now I'm in a quandary, what axle backs will give me great sound without being terribly intrusive. I had Corsa touring on my C5 and they sounded great, but now I'm scared to put anything that expensive on without knowing what it sounds like.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

I have heard nothing but great things about this exhaust. This is the next mod I want to do. No, I mean NEED to do.

If anyone reading this thread has for some reason decided to go another direction and you have a set you are interested in selling, please PM me. I am ready to buy for the right price.

I have a 2006 with the 6-speed manual.

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I am amazed that someone would take LT headers off because the sound was not aggressive enough. Headers were never designed to enhance the sound of an engine, to my thinking, even though they add to the sound when you do other muffler work. What happens cat converters back is where the sound factor is involved.

If you equate aggressive with more mechanical noise from the engine, then LTs with the stock mufflers were too aggressive for me. There were two seperate issues with the headers. The first was the enhancement of all those little ticks and noises LS engines make. Standing by the side of the car or driving next to jersey barriers, you can hear sounds that just made it sound unrefined. The second was the tailpipe sound through the stock mufflers. Sure it was louder than stock, but the quality of the sound was not appealing to me. Like I said above I am not a fan of the natural sound of LS engines. These cars sound best when the exhaust tone is tuned, hence what the Corsas do.

The LTs and Corsas would probably sound great out the back but overall too loud and I would still have the other sounds I dont like.

If I was after every HP, then I would have kept the LTs. I am happy with the power now, plus I got good coin for the LTs. More than enough to cover the Corsas.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have SLP's on and the sound is a bit too much for me. I'm hoping to switch out to a set of Corsa Sports this summer.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I had the Corsas...of course they were sports on the LS7...they were quiet until about 5000rpm. I didn't care for the idle sound and they were also dead quiet crushing. I too have taken them off and went a different direction.

They do sound awesome at WOT!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I prefer the "euro" sound of the Corsa Sports, especially with the Z06 manifolds and "H" pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Review of Corsa Sport on my 05

Old 02-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I prefer the "euro" sound of the Corsa Sports, especially with the Z06 manifolds and "H" pipe.

Thats the way i will be going if I get rid of the stock manifolds. Seems like the best of both worlds, more power but no unrefined header noises.

Did you adapt a set of 2.5 Corsas, or did you get a Z06 kit?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:56 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Isn't the aggressiveness of the Corsas like this: Extreme (loudest), Sport (moderate) and Touring (louder than stock, but not too much)?

Reading this thread hasn't helped me decide...I'm still not sure which is the best for my tastes. I've listened to sound clips on YouTube, but I'm not sure they are close to the actual sound levels. I need to hear them in real time. Maybe at Bloomington or Carlisle.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

GM changed the firing order on the ls engines for smoother operation. I use to be able to shift a sb chev without looking at tach now I find I must look at tach or I will over rev it.
z51vett
Doug

Quick Reply: Review of Corsa Sport on my 05