C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes!!!.............the HEAT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yikes!!!.............the HEAT!!!!

We've had the new Vette now for about 1 1/2 weeks. I've done a quick search and found a couple of threads on Insulating for sound and heat.

That being said, this car has a bunch of heat that makes its way inside the car especially on the Passenger side. I know the console and drink cup issue has been talked about and addressed, but are many here insulating their cars???? I mean it is ridiculously HOT!!! I almost think the heated seat is ON.

Any words of wisdom or for those that are more proficient at SEARCHING the forum, are there "fixes"???

Thanks!!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
We've had the new Vette now for about 1 1/2 weeks. I've done a quick search and found a couple of threads on Insulating for sound and heat.

That being said, this car has a bunch of heat that makes its way inside the car especially on the Passenger side. I know the console and drink cup issue has been talked about and addressed, but are many here insulating their cars???? I mean it is ridiculously HOT!!! I almost think the heated seat is ON.

Any words of wisdom or for those that are more proficient at SEARCHING the forum, are there "fixes"???

Thanks!!
"Hot" is relevant only to the user. However, the fixes are
1. A thicker tunnel plate with either a heat shield attached or a coating. I prefer the heat shile.
2. Add additional insulation to the tunnel prior to putting the tunnel plate back
3. Add insulation/heat block to the inside of the car.

This was when I did the hatch area first. It now continues to the seating area as well.

Insulation on coated thicker tunnel plate. It ain't pretty, but unless I'm running you over, you won't see it. You can see I did the sides and the plate. The black you see on the plate is the heat coating. You need to remove the mid pipe to do this. This is the bottom side of the plate. There is also a insulation blanket on top of the plate.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

OK.
Any suggestions on what product(s) to use? Easiest, simplest, etc.

I can just hold my hand on the Passenger seat frame, any hotter and forget about it. The heat coming from directly behind the passenger seat and of course the tunnel is unbelievable and actually unacceptable.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: When searching for a topic that may be on the Corvette Forum, I do the following: In google I would type, item that I am searching for plus corvette forum... Ex. Mobil 1 oil filter corvette forum
Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

OK.
Any suggestions on what product(s) to use? Easiest, simplest, etc.

I can just hold my hand on the Passenger seat frame, any hotter and forget about it. The heat coming from directly behind the passenger seat and of course the tunnel is unbelievable and actually unacceptable.
It really depends on your level of expertise. We have venders here that can supply the inside stuff and the tunnel plate. You can also google heat insulation products. Like secondskin for example.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did my 10 just like GlenB did in the back and behind the seats and under the console.
Also put on an insulated tunnel plate that made a big difference. Never did get to insulate under the seats but the above made a noticeable difference. I just used the furnace duct stuff found at a local Home Depot

I am taking delivery of a 13 in a couple of weeks (I'm in Bowling Green now watching it go through the line; I start it for the first time tomorrow) and fully intend to spend the time insulating the new one.

Good Luck
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Slider-01
I did my 10 just like GlenB did in the back and behind the seats and under the console.
Also put on an insulated tunnel plate that made a big difference. Never did get to insulate under the seats but the above made a noticeable difference. I just used the furnace duct stuff found at a local Home Depot

I am taking delivery of a 13 in a couple of weeks (I'm in Bowling Green now watching it go through the line; I start it for the first time tomorrow) and fully intend to spend the time insulating the new one.

Good Luck
Sounds cool! I'm in Ofallon, MO.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Slider-01,

Excellent. Your post described exactly the areas that seem to be hotter than heck. Behind the seats (especially the passenger seat), the tunnel, and console.

I'm a little bit confused regarding the Tunnel Plate. Is this where you would insulate on the underneath side of the vehicle or is this area on the inside of the vehicle???

Thanks again!!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Slider-01,

Excellent. Your post described exactly the areas that seem to be hotter than heck. Behind the seats (especially the passenger seat), the tunnel, and console.

I'm a little bit confused regarding the Tunnel Plate. Is this where you would insulate on the underneath side of the vehicle or is this area on the inside of the vehicle???

Thanks again!!
Tunnel plate is under the car. Mid pipes go right under it, thus the heat to the console area.

I used a precut kit purchased here on CF. Made a big diff in heat and sound levels. My legs used to get very hot on long trips esp if I wore shorts.

Only problem was I had no clue as to where all the precut pieces went and there were no instructions. I "got er done" however, and it was not to difficult.

There are a few co selling these kits and I do not know if all are the same.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Drive a Viper then you'll think the Vette has no heat issues.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

the center console make for a good hot dog steamer
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM
gustafsoncd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing one of the dual layer insuation packages helps immensely. Not only is my car cooler, but the road noise is significantly reduced too. I can actually have a normal conversation at highway speeds. Well worth the day of effort.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

I've had 5 C6's and I've never had a serious issue with the console heat; yeah it gets hot but not so that it's unbearable. I'm in AZ and it don't get no hotter than here, so if you're so delicate, try some of the easy fixes and get on with life...like someone else said, lucky you aren't driving a Viper. I also see you're in AZ; first 'Vette? Should be used to this stuff by now.

Last edited by Bobbyosto; 08-29-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
I've had 5 C6's and I've never had a serious issue with the console heat; yeah it gets hot but not so that it's unbearable. I'm in AZ and it don't get no hotter than here, so if you're so delicate, try some of the easy fixes and get on with life...like someone else said, lucky you aren't driving a Viper.

The only thing I have ever noticed is stuff in the console gets a little warm. Never have felt warm myself inside the car.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Bobbyosto,

Ya, it's a "Dry Heat".

From what I've learned in the last 1 1/2 weeks of driving the Vette is that I won't need the heat turned on in the winter time. There is plenty of heat radiating from below and through the console to keep ya warm.

As far as this thread goes, I'm trying to pick up on "some of the easy fixes and get on with life". Thanks for the ideas and information!

Maybe the factory forgot to insulate ours????

Last edited by MobyDickDog; 08-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Bobbyosto,

Ya, it's a "Dry Heat".

From what I've learned in the last 1 1/2 weeks of driving the Vette is that I won't need the heat turned on in the winter time. There is plenty of heat radiating from below and through the console to keep ya warm.

Maybe the factory forgot to insulate ours????
Moby
Maybe I'm weird, but it's never been an issue for me. Give it time, you'll get used to it. You probably will never use the heat portion of you HVAC system.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also in AZ with a GS and I don't have a problem with the heat. The A/C is always on. Last Saturday we put 540 miles on it and no heat problems besides inside the console. I'm thinking of taking the liner out of my console and making a George F. style samich maker.

Not sure anyone gets used to AZ heat.

Last edited by PittMD1; 08-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I covered the tunnel under the center console with hardware store aluminum tape, & covered the underside of the console as well. Those 2 thin layers did a great job of blocking a lot of the heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Yikes!!!.............the HEAT!!!!

Quick Reply: Yikes!!!.............the HEAT!!!!