C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RED HOT positive terminal on battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
08c6guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RED HOT positive terminal on battery

so I posted a week or so ago about how my car died on me... just would CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK (not dead battery clicking - LOUDER clicking) and then boom - dead - locked up, dead car, no fob, no electrical - completely locked in my brick...

forum suggested - probably the dead battery demon...
weird error messages - reduced engine power / service traction control
electric...
our cars go nuts when they dont have their juice... they get all crazy...

anyway $190 new battery - drove home - smoothing sailing
next morning.... DEAD
click click two times
dead
i pop the hood - humming engine compartment - something was just running all the time... tried to start it a few times - nothing...
tried to jump it...
nothing...
unhooked the neg just to get the power off it

next day go to look at it - try to jump again to limp it to the dealer thinking its something electrical or starter or something beyond my skill level....

the positive post was SOOOOO hot....

so the battery is drawing from something
i gotta have a short somewhere no?? --- took battery into local shop and they said is good battery - full cells on a full charge

does this CLICK CLICK CLICK no start issue mean something other than that....
anyone care to share experience with a similar non-starting issue...

im thinking there is a short and even on full battery or with cables - that the short is preventing the starter from getting its juice - the short just takes the power to where the short is and its not allowing the car to start....

thoughts?? 190 for a battery that it seems like i didnt need 90 for a tow... lets get somewhere already.....
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Keefer07
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Positive cable goes from the battery directly to the starter. I'd say you either have a loose ground on the right side of the block or a bad starter.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure the positive cable has a good clean connection. Heat means resistance which = poor connection.
Terry
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The problem could be where the actual wire strands of the cable are attached to the connector. It isn't that common but this is where vibration induced stress breakage of the individual strands will typically occur and/or failure of this cable/connector interface point.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:53 PM
08c6guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its brand new battery and replaced at the dealership so they put a clean connection on it.......... thanks for the time to respond guys

yeah im THINKING its gotta be some sort of short.... no call yet from the pokey dealership... I'll keep the post updated as I hear what the problem was incase others have this issue....

Get notified of new replies

To RED HOT positive terminal on battery

Quick Reply: RED HOT positive terminal on battery