C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
BAMAGOLFER
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'10-'11

I have an 09 and have the same issue. Rather than take a chance with the dealer service dept. I just do the grab thing.
Is there a TSB for this issue? And did the designers really think that elastic straps were the best way to go? I mean we all know what happens to elastic over time and especilly when heat is involved.

Kelly
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My chevy dealer service dept manager looked up another car they did not long ago and he said the repair of replacing the limiting straps took about 3 hours... So it sounds major like maybe they have to take the entire top out of the car??? Has anyone had this repair done to the top, that of "replacing the limiting elastic straps"??? I, like some others here, would almost rather do the window grab then risk doing some other damage to the car... Has anyone had it done and if so, did you see what they actually had to do to replace these straps??? thanks...
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

diitto,

Please keep me informed on how everything goes at the dealer?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-06-2012, 06:16 PM
BruceD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this thread guys! My 2 week old 13 is doing the exact same thing. At first, the rear part of the top (part with the glass in it) was closing before the tonneau. Dealer got it in right away and said it was one of the micro switches out of position. Operation worked fine after that BUT I started having this same issue of the tonneau hitting the glass. Their main Vette tech that always works on my cars is off next week, so mine will be hopefully fixed on the 19th. Until then I'll keep doing the same as you guys, just pull the glass back ever so slightly and it clears. Somewhat defeats the purpose of a power top but...
Old 09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Monterey Ace,

Please keep me informed on what you hear from your dealer?

Well folks, I had an opportunity to get by the dealer today for my top problem and boy was it a long day. When I got there at 7:30 this morning I talked to the service advisor who I had dealt with last time and showed him the emails that I had printed out from Illinois2008vert and diitto with the names and phone numbers of the dealers they had went to and all the info they had received about the straps etc. The service advisor took the emails to his service manager and low and behold, 10 minutes later, they came up with a service bulletin #09-08-67-013C (which I now have a copy of and it was just revised to include 2012 and 2013 tops also) that is 10 pages long regarding the exact problem we're all having. They took my car back and said it would be about 3 or 4 hours because there were a lot of adjustments to make. They called about 4 1/2 hours later that it was done so I went up to pick it up. When I got there the top was down so I tried it a few times up and down and it seemed like everything was working good. When I tried to lock the top to the wiindshield it wouldn't work. The 2 bow guide pins were about 1/2 inch in front of the header receivers on the top of the windshield. He hadn't bothered to see if the top would latch closed. What they had done was adjusted to entire top about 1/2 forward so it wouldn't hit the glass in the back but now would not close in the front. The tech said it's going to be another 2 or 3 hours due to all the adjustments. While I was talking to him I noticed a new camero convertible in the bay with the complete top off on the floor all the bow's loose and they were pulling the outer top off to get to the inside. That's where the straps are in the Corvette top. About 3 hours later they called again and said it was ready. I picked it up again and it seems like everything is working ok now. To bad my car had to be the learning model for this bulletin. That's why I really didn't want them screwing with it. Now I have greasy hand prints all over the doors, windshield, and rear deck not to mention the inside of the car. I guess that's the price you pay if you have a dealer that doesn't have trained technicians. I'll try it for awhile and let you know back. All in all 3 trips to the dealer and about 9 hours later.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least they didn't make it worse! Sorry you had so much hassle. Convertible tops seem to have so few problems that when they do go bad, service departments don't have much experience fixing them.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was buying 11 GS Vert I noticed the top doing the same thing during my test drive and asked the dealer to look at it. When I picked it up the dealer told me that it was a simple adjustment and after about 7 months now it has worked perfectly every time.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
judson whitley
Advanced

i also hear it my 2010 i just put my right hand behind the window when it is going down or up no problem doing that but i might get dealer to check it is still underwarranty
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm just going to continue reaching over my shoulder to pull the window front a little after reading all this. there seems to be no other issues in the operation other than the bottom edge not tucking forward enough to clear the cover opening or closing. i can live with that.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

If anyone wants a copy of the TSB - pm me your email address and I'll scan it and download it to you. It's 10 pages. Thought some of you who are out of warranty might want to try it yourself. If the guys at the dealership can figure it out for the first time today you probably can too.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

I'm looking at getting a C6 vert but the more I read them more it seems to be one thing after another. Should I still be looking at getting one....? Is this just one of many issues? Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by KeyoRacing
I'm looking at getting a C6 vert but the more I read them more it seems to be one thing after another. Should I still be looking at getting one....? Is this just one of many issues? Thanks
it's the only issue mine has at 27k miles. windshield, rear deck ,and windows all seal watertight, works smooth every time. you just have to reach your right hand over your shoulder and pull the bottom of the window front a little going up or down. not a biggie for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Torch Ace
Racer

I wouldn't trade my vert for anything. This is the only issue I've had and if it starts doing it again I'll just start pulling the window forward when I raise and lower the top like I have been doing for awhile. It wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

Does it seem they all do this after a while.... and when looking at cars is it something I should look for? Thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM
BruceD
Instructor

Does it seem they all do this after a while.... and when looking at cars is it something I should look for? Thanks
I had my 08 for 4 years and never had an issue with this at all. My 13 GS started doing it after a week. I don't think it's a big issue really. It wouldn't stop me from buying another one
Old 09-10-2012, 06:29 PM
KeyoRacing
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bruce.... I'll just keep an eye out for it while I'm looking
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have an 08 and after 4 plus years, 28K miles, I have had zero problems except for the top slightly hitting the cover.

Get notified of new replies

To power convertible top question

Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

QUOTE=Chevy Cust Svc;1581761890]diitto,

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service[/QUOTE]

All I have to say is that my 08 vert w/ 13k miles and it has been at my Chevy Dealer all day for the tonneu cover hitting the glass. At first, they had no idea whether it could be fixed or not, and I know and trust my service advisor very much.

But I got a phone call that it was fixed this afternoon. Came in, raised and lowered the top, did the same thing.

Only thing I was told is there are about 15 adjustment points, and it would be time and material to fix....

Considering I have a disability that prevents me from being able to reach behind my back, the glass workaround is no bargain.

I am really going to be upset if I have to pay several hundread dollars to get a few pieces of elastic fixed. That is totally insane on a $70,000 automobile.

To make it worse, its going to snow in the afternoon here tomorrow, so I probably will have to go pick it up without being fixed (I am not letting a dealer or anyone else keep my car over the weekend).

Last edited by RACE U; 02-15-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

I had a 2006 it hit and I would just reach back and pull it forward before it hit. My 2008 hits slighly at times,more often then not. Once I discovered that, I also reach back and pull it slightly forward. I thought it was the nature of the beast. No big deal reaching back with 9right arm and slighly pulling it forward opening and closing lid.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Originally Posted by RACE U
QUOTE=Chevy Cust Svc;1581761890]diitto,

All I have to say is that my 08 vert w/ 13k miles and it has been at my Chevy dealer all day for the tonneu cover hitting the glass. At first, they had no idea whether it could be fixed or not, and I know and trust my service advisor very much.

But I got a phone call that it was fixed this afternoon. Came in, raised and lowered the top, did the same thing.

Only thing I was told is there are about 15 adjustment points, and it would be time and material to fix....

Considering I have a disability that prevents me from being able to reach behind my back, the glass workaround is no bargain.

I am really going to be upset if I have to pay several hundread dollars to get a few pieces of elastic fixed. That is totally insane on a $70,000 automobile.

To make it worse, its going to snow in the afternoon here tomorrow, so I probably will have to go pick it up without being fixed (I am not letting a dealer or anyone else keep my car over the weekend).[/QUOTE]

Do you not buckle up?

Because as the top is up and the tonneau cover is closing, the glass is literally closer to your head than a seatbelt is. I reach my hand up, about 6" off my ear and hook the bottom of the glass with the tip of my pointer finger, pull forward about 1/4" and the tonneau clears without issue. It takes more effort to adjust the rearview mirror.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 02-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: power convertible top question