C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Thank you for the tips my friend. One question, by this do you mean when the window section is folded up while the tonneau is moving, or the while the top is stowed completely down and the tonneau is still open. Sorry I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, and it's cold as a well diggers **** outside and I'm to warm to go out to check.

Jim

BTW, I knew I wouldn't have this fixed if the top had to be completely removed. I had a bad experience with an '06 manual top that ripped the headliner. Shop let the top slip, and scratched both corners of the tonneau. Now, I'll fix 'er myself.
I was referring to when the window is 90 degrees upright, not tucked away. When the top is folded up like a taco, you can see both sides of the straps through the 2 openings in the top that appear once it's folded upon itself. There isn't a ton of room on the side with the rivit, but the side with the screw (the area we will be working in) has enough room to see what your doing and be able to fit a stubby phillips in there.

There's isn't gobs of free space, and the biggest concern I foresee would be if the screw is dropped when removing or installing it. Take extra care to make sure it's seated/unseated completely before you attempt to let go for any reason. Also, remember that there will be some tension on the strap, so as soon as the screw is loose, that strap will want to retract quickly. This is where the extra hand would come in very handy to try to relieve as much tension as possible from the other opening.

On a side note, we're almost in the single digits in Ohio right now, so I'm probably not gonna be taking this on anytime really soon. As mentioned, I want to see if the straps tighten up in warmer temps. That and the manual reads that operation of the power top below 32 degrees can damage components.

If anyone would like to try this before I do and has any further questions, feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer them and get you through it.

Last edited by Stavesacre21; 02-10-2016 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-11-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:52 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

As promised, I made the repair today and it works flawlessly.

I started a new thread HERE with the video
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 PM
larrykov
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsb 09-08-67-013a

Originally Posted by Torch Ace
If anyone wants a copy of the TSB - pm me your email address and I'll scan it and download it to you. It's 10 pages. Thought some of you who are out of warranty might want to try it yourself. If the guys at the dealership can figure it out for the first time today you probably can too.
Please send me a copy of the TSB if you still have. I'm struggling with ths issue of the glass hitting the tonneau cover...thanks lrkov@aol.com
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM
LeRoi2
2nd Gear

Can you please send me a copy of the TSB for the C6 CONVERTIBLE STRAPS, #09-08-67-013C.

TLEMON2004@YAHOO.COM

Thanks
Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Any Chevy dealer can provide you with a copy of the TSB. Even new straps will stretch after awhile.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunrise15
My 08 does it as well. I just bought the car, and would love to have it fixed, but I would guess a dealer would charge a ton of money to fix it out of warranty. I guess I will just continue to grab it myself...
I have an 08 and it started the same thing. I just reach back and lift the top slightly until the cover passes it.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 PM
10daysunderwater
4th Gear

I had these issues. Adjusted the straps and still hit the cover. I used two elastic straps from harbor freight and looped them between the attached strap and nearest bar if I remember right. Where the original straps go. Put one on each side. It pulls the window back and no more issue. Can't see the elastic hooks or straps as they are under the cover. Kind of a pain but it works. Been about 6 months since I did it. the switch on the C6 is under the cover lock right side in the trunk. There is a clip lock on both sides. The switch does not hit the microswitch sometimes properly. Refasten the right side and try again.

Last edited by 10daysunderwater; 01-31-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM
zoomzx11
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are two or three videos on Utube on the strap weakness that causes the window to hit the tonneau cover.
Tightening the straps is a tad harder than it looked in the video. It took me quite some time to even find the straps in question.
Mine had already been tightened one time but I tightened them up even more. Now I only hit on one side.
I know that you can use your hand to hold the window up but I am the sort of a person who wants a thing to work correctly and the idea of manually holding up the top bugs me. I am going the new strap route and we will see how long it lasts. I did lube the top hinges so we shall see.
I am calling the local stealer now and checking on the price of the repair kit icecap mentioned. Going to be seated when I get the price quote.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzx11
There are two or three videos on Utube on the strap weakness that causes the window to hit the tonneau cover.
Tightening the straps is a tad harder than it looked in the video. It took me quite some time to even find the straps in question.
Mine had already been tightened one time but I tightened them up even more. Now I only hit on one side.
I know that you can use your hand to hold the window up but I am the sort of a person who wants a thing to work correctly and the idea of manually holding up the top bugs me. I am going the new strap route and we will see how long it lasts. I did lube the top hinges so we shall see.
I am calling the local stealer now and checking on the price of the repair kit icecap mentioned. Going to be seated when I get the price quote.
Know what you mean there. I also want everything to work correctly, I need to get in there and perform the/a fix....but I ain't gonna do it till i'm ready to do it right so it doesn't happen again. Word seems to suggest that if you simply just tighten the straps that are there that it won't be long at all till the window starts hitting again.......
Old 04-13-2019, 02:57 PM
zoomzx11
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Top straps

Hi windyc6. I watched all the strap repair videos at least twice. Mine were already tightened so I tightened them again. Now I only just hit on the driver's side. I ordered the repair kit from Chevy. I am going to measure the tension of the new straps using a small hanging scale then install them.
Next I am going to Harbor Freight and try to find a flat one inch wide strap that can be pop riveted with close to the same tension as the original strap. Then when the new straps fails I hopefully will have the replacement ready.
I might even mess with Chevy for a refund.
I am the sort that likes to sit and smile as my power top goes up and down perfectly.
I think the c6 is the most beautiful Vette.
Love the curves. The c7 is too angular for my taste. My car reminds me of the early etype Jaguars said to be by many as the most beautiful car ever designed.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I followed this video to repair my straps. You need to be a bit of a contortionist to find those teeny tiny screws though! First one took almost 45 minutes and more than a few choice words, second one took ten minutes...

The following users liked this post:
reindeerdad (08-17-2021)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I upgraded the elastic straps on mine to a beefier strap. See this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...enant-fix.html
Old 03-15-2021, 07:56 AM
Garydhall
4th Gear

Default TSB for C6 convertible top issue

Do you still have the tsb Re: the issue of the tonneau cover hitting the window when opening or closing?
Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 PM
reindeerdad
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.centraljerseycorvetteclu...+-+Tonneau.pdf
Old 09-21-2021, 10:56 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Help. The string broke on the right side. 2 dealers referred me to auto upholstery shops and they both refused! (2011 25K miles).
Perhaps this was answered in another thread but I can't find it.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Originally Posted by K9KUZ
Help. The string broke on the right side. 2 dealers referred me to auto upholstery shops and they both refused! (2011 25K miles).
Perhaps this was answered in another thread but I can't find it.
Unfortunately, if it's anything besides the strap, it would be beyond me. For the same reason the upholstery shops can't help, it's just a very complex top. There are shops out there that will work on them, but you may have to travel great distances or ship your car to have it done.

There are quite a few threads about those shops but you really have to dig on the forum to find them. My best advice would be to start a new thread asking for anyone that knows these shops.

The power tops really have been a blessing and a curse. Never thought I'd say it but I sort if wish they had just kejustly the soft tops manuals.

Good luck on your search man
Old 09-23-2021, 11:09 AM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: power convertible top question