C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Gasket 'Stat Number

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Mr. Gasket 'Stat Number

Hi.

I am looking to replace the thermostat on my '08 LS3. The Hi-Flow BALANCED thermostats seem to be the way to go.

The Mr. Gasket Site says:
Mr. Gasket #720-6368 Hi-Flow Thermostat 2004-11 LS1/LS6/LS2/LS3/LS7 2004-11 Corvette

However, I thought the LS3 stats are different than the LS1/LS2 stats. Is this true?

Any thoughts on these new Hi Flow Balanced thermostats?

Thanks,

M...
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Mike Green9
Hi.

I am looking to replace the thermostat on my '08 LS3. The Hi-Flow BALANCED thermostats seem to be the way to go.

The Mr. Gasket Site says:
Mr. Gasket #720-6368 Hi-Flow Thermostat 2004-11 LS1/LS6/LS2/LS3/LS7 2004-11 Corvette

However, I thought the LS3 stats are different than the LS1/LS2 stats. Is this true?

Any thoughts on these new Hi Flow Balanced thermostats?

Thanks,

M...
I assume that balanced means equal flow to either side of the stat, but, with that said, since the fluid is under pressure that tends to minimize the difference, not eliminate, but reduce it somewhat, or, it has the little hole in the flange to help equalize pressures to a point before it opens. Can't say it makes a difference, but it doesn't hurt. Second, 'high flow' , really!!! Think about the job that the stat does and how it functions...... it's a restriction ....... now, a High Flow restriction ??
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

becareful with the MR.G quality
i have had a few that are subpar
bad opening ranges despite what it was packaged as and stamped as
other people have had similar issues too (you'll find many links on google)

as for balanced sleeve types, they open with the flow direction of the coolant and slightly large opening area as well to help circulate more (great for high volume pumps or underdrive pulleys)
im my use, i have always seen improvements with them, but the robershaw ones were better quality wise in my opinion and experience
i was unaware they made them for the LS motors
wish they would make the 170's again

Get notified of new replies

To Mr. Gasket 'Stat Number

Quick Reply: Mr. Gasket 'Stat Number