C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Suspension On Base Model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Suspension On Base Model?

I used to have a 2006 Z51, and prefer the look of a base model over the wide body. I love my new 2012, but do miss the stiffer suspension of my previous Corvette. I noticed some parts vendors are selling Z06 suspension parts for less than what I thought it would be, but I have a few questions first.

Would Z06 shocks, springs, and stabilizer bars fit on a base model (narrow body)?

I've read in magazines that they feel the Grand Sport and Z51 suspensions were less frightening at the limit compared to the Z06 which they often describe as unpredictable and require skilled drivers. Is this due to the added power of the LS7, or would I experience these characteristics if I ran a LS3 with the Z06 suspension package?

Would I void my warranty if I did this upgrade?

Does anyone know a good installer in New Jersey?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tlr3715
I used to have a 2006 Z51, and prefer the look of a base model over the wide body. I love my new 2012, but do miss the stiffer suspension of my previous Corvette. I noticed some parts vendors are selling Z06 suspension parts for less than what I thought it would be, but I have a few questions first.

Would Z06 shocks, springs, and stabilizer bars fit on a base model (narrow body)?

I've read in magazines that they feel the Grand Sport and Z51 suspensions were less frightening at the limit compared to the Z06 which they often describe as unpredictable and require skilled drivers. Is this due to the added power of the LS7, or would I experience these characteristics if I ran a LS3 with the Z06 suspension package?

Would I void my warranty if I did this upgrade?

Does anyone know a good installer in New Jersey?
You might want to take a look at the aftermarket rather than OEM replacement packages. We are able to get more performance than the C6 Z06 while at the same time taming down some of the twitchyness associated with the C6Z shocks. Take a look at our Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 suspension package, it's really exactly what you're looking for. We are even running a temporary sale on our Johnny O Stage 1 packages until September 21st. You can get a little more information here: Johnny O'Connell Stage 1 Package Specials.

As far as installation in New Jersey is concerned, you should definitely give East Coast Supercharging a call. They are in Cream Ridge and have experience installing everything in our entire product catalog, as well as just about anything in the Corvette aftermarket. You can reach them at 609 752 0321. Definitely a great shop if you're anywhere in the area.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The Z06 suspension is set up to work with the wider tires that come on that car. I suspect that simply installing all the Z06 pieces on a base car would produce less than optimal handling, probably some oversteer.

There's gotta be someone who has tried it...
Old 09-07-2012, 09:12 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

I am about to install a rear Z06 rear swaybar (fronts are the same) on my Z51,as well as a set of Phadt featherlight coilovers. Would this combo work well together? Not to hijack this thread....but may give the OP more options...?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I am about to install a rear Z06 rear swaybar (fronts are the same) on my Z51,as well as a set of Phadt featherlight coilovers. Would this combo work well together? Not to hijack this thread....but may give the OP more options...?
Read up on this.....if you aren't running the 325's in the rear, be careful.

Most people say Z51 is the stiffest you should go on the base/Z51 rear tires.

You can get some snap oversteer and erratic handling unless you match your tires to the bars, springs and shocks. They were all designed to go together.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I love all the misinformation that passes as expert advice on this forum.

To the OP, check with Pfadt or LG for suggestions or parts.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I am currently running 305/30/19's on back now...will be going wide body within the next year though. The mid setting on the Joc pkg is about equal in stiffness as the Z06 rear bars,with the fronts being even stiffer and that set up is designed for the coupe.
Originally Posted by paracord
Read up on this.....if you aren't running the 325's in the rear, be careful.

Most people say Z51 is the stiffest you should go on the base/Z51 rear tires.

You can get some snap oversteer and erratic handling unless you match your tires to the bars, springs and shocks. They were all designed to go together.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Do you have an FE1 car? If you're talking shocks, springs, and sways, I'd advise you go aftermarket instead.

A lot of the twitchyness in the Z06 was due to the amount of power going through the original Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs. This actually led Goodyear to develop the F1 Supercar G2s which are, IIRC, most more progressive at the limit.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Anyone else done this
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Pfadt JO stage 1 on my base 10 Coupe and absolutely loved it.
I thought it made the car handle much better than stock. However, I didn't have the Z package so can't compare to that though.

I plan on putting the exact same JO package on my 13 GS when I take delivery next week.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

On my base 06, non-z51 I had zo6 front spring, stock rear spring, zo6 sways both ends, bilstein hd shocks and Michelin PS2ZP's, added z 51 rotors and brackets. It all worked AWESOME! Car handled great!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I run Z06 size tires on our base coupe with Z06 sways and Koni FSD shocks and this is a very good combo for me, shocks are very good for daily driving and pretty good under load and the sways work with my tire setup
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,909 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I run the Z06 sways front and rear with Pfadt adj sport shocks. Works well for me. No roll and a nice centered feel to the car. Have had no problem with oversteer, but I do not run my car flat out. Works very well for a DD, but IDK how well for a track car.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe, the Z06 shocks, springs, and stab bars will fit on the base C6 but those might not be the components I'd choose. Wheel and tire sizes are also a huge part of the equation. IMO suspension modifications will definitely 'void' the warranty with respect to the suspension and anything else the dealership can 'reasonably' connect to the suspension. I concur with glenB, I suggest you speak with both Pfadt Racing and LG Motorsports before deciding which way to go.

Originally Posted by glenB

To the OP, check with Pfadt or LG for suggestions or parts
I agree there is often 'bad' information posted on the forum but that's to be expected on a forum. I also agree to get the best advice, parts or whatever you can...go with the best. That said, it's important to remember that vendors are trying to sell their products so take even expert advice with a grain of salt. This is no reflection on Pfadt Racing. Make no mistake, I have the highest respect for both Pfadt Racing and LG Motorsports. In fact, I have both Pfadt and LG Motorsports parts on my car and I just made a 2,000 mile round-trip to (primarily) have LG Motorsports adjust the setup on my car.

In all fairness, at times even the most qualified engineer's can disagree. People's experiences and the results they get can sometimes differ from expert opinion. I've gone against convention and expert opinion before and it worked-out extremely well. The man I consider my racing mentor is a former sprint car driver, a talented, experienced Corvette racer whose forgotten more about cars than I'll ever know. I often rely on him for advice and occasionally his advice (or the way he does something) differs from what the book or what the "experts" say to do. Many would interpret it as bad advice but without exception his common sense approach to things has always worked well for me. There can be posts and advice on the forum that are blatantly wrong; there can be posts and advice given that I'm highly skeptical of; and, sometimes even seemingly bad advice might be good advice. I take it all in, I get the best independent advice I can and then I decide what's right for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,403 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by glenB

To the OP, check with Pfadt or LG for suggestions or parts.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
tlr3715
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever I decide to go with will be one of the GM setups. I know aftermarket products can get improved handling out of the car, but this car was designed from the ground up with leafs in mind. They were meant to make the car more rigid as they act as anti sway bars and are also lighter than coils. Callaways web site even mentions that coil springs that replace the leafs may lead to suspension mount issues in the long term. I am currently leaning to a Z51 setup since I have experience with that and liked it very much. I was thinking I could get a little more responsiveness in corners by going Z06 but I don't want to risk snap oversteer and issues while cornering over uneven pavement. So I will most likely get a Z51 package if I can fine a good parts company. I have an email out to GM parts house now to see if they can help.

Last edited by tlr3715; 09-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by tlr3715
Whatever I decide to go with will be one of the GM setups. I know aftermarket products can get improved handling out of the car, but this car was designed from the ground up with leafs in mind. They were meant to make the car more rigid as they act as anti sway bars and are also lighter than coils. Callaways web site even mentions that coil springs that replace the leafs may lead to suspension mount issues in the long term. I am currently leaning to a Z51 setup since I have experience with that and liked it very much. I was thinking I could get a little more responsiveness in corners by going Z06 but I don't want to risk snap oversteer and issues while cornering over uneven pavement. So I will most likely get a Z51 package if I can fine a good parts company. I have an email out to GM parts house now to see if they can help.
I have some Z51 springs F/S @ 200 + shipping

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Suspension On Base Model?

Quick Reply: Z06 Suspension On Base Model?