C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C6 buying advice

I'm brand new to the forum and in the market to purchase a used C6. This will be my first Corvette and will fulfill a lifelong dream of owning one. I have two questions that I was hoping to get some advice on:
1) I am leaning toward a manual transmission and was wondering if there are any major cons I should consider going with a manual Vette (every vehicle I owned till I was 30 had a stick shift).
2) I think a convertible would be kind of cool but I like the coupe as well. Either way you can either pull the top down with the convertible or remove the top with the coupe to get an open air feel. The convertibles are definitely selling at a couple thousand premium. Are there any pros and cons to consider with this decision. At this point, I am leaning towards a coupe but I am curious to get some different opinions.
I appreciate any feedback out there! Mark
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Welcome to the Forum

I have a GS Coupe with manual. I love the stick shift and the flexibility of the removable top. I don't want a vert because of security - I drive and park in the City and they're too easy a target for bad people. I'd just as gladly bought an A6 but none were available in the Vette I bought, so I am happy with the MN6. I've had both trannies and you can't go wrong with either.

Be sure to check out all Forum dealers for the best prices. You will save thousands compared to driving down to the local Chevy dealer. Good luck with your purchase and be sure to post pics who you get it.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

My first C6 had an automatic and my second one has a manual. Quite honestly with all I read about the dirty clutch fluid causing bad master/slave cylinders and the rattle from the torque tube, I wish I would have gotten another automatic. JMO
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

used or new? 1. cons to manual is if you're in a large city, use it as a commuter and have lots of stop and go. even then, it's not a difficult clutch but it's no corolla either. drive one to find out how it compares to your other prior vehicles. every year the trans or internals got better, so buy the newest you can afford. comfortably.

2. both are good. one is made for a bit more open air driving. depending on where you live (you can give up some anonymity and put a town in your profile--no one will search you out), if you can drive a lot with the top down on a convert., all the better. if not, the one bad thing to the top is the diagonal pull into another street and trying to look thru B "pillar" (cloth top blind spot) on passenger side. not easy, but not impossible. top works fine, altho some say so does the coupe removable roof. cons incl. if you keep a conv. long enough, you'll have to replace it---not so for the coupe. and like the clutch, if you don't do the work yourself, this will not be inexpensive. but if you've ever had a convertible (suspect you have), it's quite a bit different from coupe. nothing wrong w. a coupe, esp. since you say you're leaning that way.

go ahead. pull the trigger. or at least test drive both...
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first Vette this year and its a coupe with a manual trans. I test drove coupes and convertibles. I drove autos and manuals. I drove the coupe with the roof on and off. I liked the extra luggage space of the coupe vs the ease of putting the top down on te vert. But test drive a bunch. Only then will you have a better understanding of their differences.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Lubrecon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GS that is FULLY loaded....check it out, it is on the for sale page...Inferno Orange, the color to have and less than 3,000 miles.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

go coupe with clear roof.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Lubrecon
I have a GS that is FULLY loaded....check it out, it is on the for sale page...Inferno Orange, the color to have and less than 3,000 miles.
that car is a beauty...a real looker for sure ! GLWS...

(OP, IMO you should consider this if it's in your price range)
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

1 - Buy the one you want. In other words, drive your Corvette, not someone else's, you only need to please you.

2 - Coupe is not as quick and easy to go top down, but it is watertight and quiet, plus has way more trunk space (may not matter to you), less concern for theft (cutting cloth top), and is cheaper than convertible.

3 - Manual vs Auto - most are sold as autos (>70%), but some people can't enjoy a car without a manual. The auto with paddle shifters is nice (what I drive) but is not the same as a manual. Rowing gears in city stop and go is no fun, as you know.

4 - Learn the difference between trim levels and get what you want. I wanted the 1LT (bottom of the line, strippo, plain jane).

5 - Be patient and search the market over time, lots of good deals to be had for the patient buyer. It took me several months to find the one I wanted.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:54 PM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aviator
Welcome to the Forum

I have a GS Coupe with manual. I love the stick shift and the flexibility of the removable top. I don't want a vert because of security - I drive and park in the City and they're too easy a target for bad people. I'd just as gladly bought an A6 but none were available in the Vette I bought, so I am happy with the MN6. I've had both trannies and you can't go wrong with either.

Be sure to check out all Forum dealers for the best prices. You will save thousands compared to driving down to the local Chevy dealer. Good luck with your purchase and be sure to post pics who you get it.

it's possible with a few forum vendors to go from a used vette search to a NEW vette with the money saved. Seriously consider giving them a look. about the A6/M6 drive what you like. You're buying a corvette not a honda. There aren't "cons". They're solid well built vehicles. Enjoy your purchase.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Tom45
Pro

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
1 - Buy the one you want. In other words, drive your Corvette, not someone else's, you only need to please you.

2 - Coupe is not as quick and easy to go top down, but it is watertight and quiet, plus has way more trunk space (may not matter to you), less concern for theft (cutting cloth top), and is cheaper than convertible.

3 - Manual vs Auto - most are sold as autos (>70%), but some people can't enjoy a car without a manual. The auto with paddle shifters is nice (what I drive) but is not the same as a manual. Rowing gears in city stop and go is no fun, as you know.

4 - Learn the difference between trim levels and get what you want. I wanted the 1LT (bottom of the line, strippo, plain jane).

5 - Be patient and search the market over time, lots of good deals to be had for the patient buyer. It took me several months to find the one I wanted.
People are going to have different opinions on the equipment options and colors. Buy a vette with the options that will make you happy. Don't settle for less.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:01 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

THANKS to the original poster for asking this question and thanks for all the replies. I am in the same boat as the OP. i found this forum a week ago and i've learned a lot so far. i've got a ways to go before making my purchase and as suggested by others, i do plan on driving all i can before deciding. i've had a broken ankle before so i will only consider auto trans. (no more 2 story house either) red or white is a must...every thing else is still open.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

In retrospect I wouldnt care if it was auto or manual. Both great cars.

Buy as much of a car as you can afford. Meaning, buy the newest. I go more for year, miles, engine....etc rather than options.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark,

I have a 2011 2LS coupe with an A6. It fits me just fine. I have had a Firebird vert with manual. I found that manual trannys are not so warrantied as you might think - clutches and associated items are wear not warranty; just like brakes, headlights, etc. while autos are warranty covered.

My A6 has paddles to play shift with should I want to. I use this every not so often.

I always worried that a clean rag top was an invitation to some vandal to cut the fabric, just for a lark. Rotten but too oft done.

So it was a coupe for me with an A6.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I guess I'm lucky - I knew exactly what I was after, triple black vert with manual trans.

Buy what you like, if you really like vettes, odds are you will not regret it. I live in one of the rainiest, worst traffic and property crime cities around and I've no regrets after one year with my manual vert as a daily driver. But I am careful where I park it
Old 09-13-2012, 05:26 PM
scars10
Advanced

I was you 4 months ago, probably alot older! I knew I had to have a manual & vert. Ended up with a coupe & auto. After driving both it was clear what was best for me. Driving them is the only way to know for sure.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM
leng64
Intermediate

Buy what you like not others influence you. However, I like my vette. It is Crystal Red grand sport coupe. there is plenty of space for the trunk. It is great for a long trip. You surely can get a head turn when you cruised with your love one. Good luck for finding a vette. It is a lot of fun to drive and add on to your taste.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 buying advice

Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

The manual transmission provides better mileage higher resale value, and geater driver participation. The convertible is quieter (top off/down or closed) but has half the cargo capacity, less roll-over protection, easier entry by thieves, more subject to vandalism, higher aerodynamic resistance and lower top speed.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 PM
mhatton222
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

All the great feedback is much appreciated! It will definitely help me as I consider the decision but I do agree with most of you that test-driving will be the biggest difference maker. Right now I am leaning toward coupe with manual... at the end of the day it is a Vette so what is not to like!! Thanks again, Mark
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mhatton222
I'm brand new to the forum and in the market to purchase a used C6. This will be my first Corvette and will fulfill a lifelong dream of owning one. I have two questions that I was hoping to get some advice on:
1) I am leaning toward a manual transmission and was wondering if there are any major cons I should consider going with a manual Vette (every vehicle I owned till I was 30 had a stick shift).
2) I think a convertible would be kind of cool but I like the coupe as well. Either way you can either pull the top down with the convertible or remove the top with the coupe to get an open air feel. The convertibles are definitely selling at a couple thousand premium. Are there any pros and cons to consider with this decision. At this point, I am leaning towards a coupe but I am curious to get some different opinions.
I appreciate any feedback out there! Mark

Every new car I've bought ever has been a manual. I just don't like autos. That being said, I test drove an auto vette before I bought my manual coupe and it was very sporty and liveable, had I not been able to find a manual in the color I wanted I would have been happy with the auto.

Top,, I have owned three convertibles. I have out grown them, to noisy, to much maintenance and was always afraid some clown would cut the top to get in to steal something. I actually never locked them figuring anything I left in would be worth less than the top. But still figured the crook might not be bright enough to try the doors before they cut the top.

And finally, after you find the best price on a used one you like in Jacksonville, check Jon Hall in Daytona for their best price on left over new ones. I was looking at 07s and 08s at a few places around here (St John's is the hwy210 area between Jax and St Auggie) but got my 11 2LT coupe new for just a little more from Jon Hall. Their current specials page shows new 1LTs from $42,990.

Last edited by hig4s; 09-17-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 buying advice