C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I am sometimes setting off my car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Why I am sometimes setting off my car alarm

Hi.. I have a 2012 GS convertible... I must admit that some elements of how the RKE and the locking/unlocking of the car have eluded me. Here's the scenario. I park the car, say at work, and when I leave I click the lock button twice (quickly) on the RKE. I hear the horn honk once as I'm supposed to and off I go... When I come back later I often want to get into the trunk first (convertible trunk). The RKE is in my pocket. I push the button above the license plate and the trunk opens... So far so good.. I then get finished in the trunk. To close my trunk I have to let it close most of the way and then I have to put both palms right above the latch mechanism and push down hard (that's the subject of another post I made some time back)... But anyway, sometimes when I do that, the car alarm goes off (horn honking one per second or so)... I grab for the RKE and hit a button to shut it off... Why does the car alarm go off in the first place?? The button under the trunk allows me to open the trunk so surely it sees the RKE and says it's ok to get in the trunk... I never have a problem there... It's then when I go to close the trunk (hard) that the alarm goes off... Do I need to use the RKE button to unlock the car before I do any of this or is just having the RKE in your pocket good enough??? So what's going on?? Any help would be much appreciated... thanks... bob...
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Sounds weird.
Only possible thing I can see from the sequence you've given is hitting your FOB lock button twice may be the culprit. Why are you doing that? I've owned many Corvettes, never did it myself why I ask.

Considered using your 'Auto-Lock' feature? When I exit my Z doors automatically lock, sounding the horn once as confirmation. Opening doors with FOB in pocket, automatic. Same for accessing hatch, using FOB or button.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:35 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Take it to the dealer. Doesn't sound like normal behavior.

Possible the trunk latch is defective and sending the wrong open-closed signal, or maybe the BCM itself. Might be a code that a dealer can read thrown by an alarm.

Last edited by CaryBob; 09-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Very simply explained. When you close the trunk the first time, it signals the computer that it is closed. Then when you go back and push it down a second time, the latch mechanism is intermittently reporting to the computer that the trunk is being opened mechanically (as if you were using the metal key). Any time that the car is locked and a door or trunk is opened by a non electronic means, the alarm will go off. This would include the emergency cable releases on the doors and the metal key release on the trunk. It would also include someone opening one of these with a crowbar. The presence of a fob outside the door or the trunk during one of these non electronic openings will not stop the alarm from going off because under these circumstances, the computer does not look for a fob. No electronic signal has been sent to the computer that would cause it to look for a fob. If your trunk latch is adjusted correctly, you should be able to give the lid a light push when it is open and have it drop to the fully closed position on the first try. A work around for you would be to simply unlock the car with the fob at some point before closing the trunk. You could even push the unlock button before you push the trunk button on the fob.

Last edited by cclive; 09-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Sounds weird.
Only possible thing I can see from the sequence you've given is hitting your FOB lock button twice may be the culprit. Why are you doing that? I've owned many Corvettes, never did it myself why I ask.

Considered using your 'Auto-Lock' feature? When I exit my Z doors automatically lock, sounding the horn once as confirmation. Opening doors with FOB in pocket, automatic. Same for accessing hatch, using FOB or button.
My understanding is if you hit the lock button once, the car locks and the lights flash quickly. But if it's bright sunlight and you're walking away it's hard to see the lights flash. It's my understanding if you hit the button twice quickly, the same thing happens but also the horn honks once and hence you get the audible feedback that the car locked ok...

Regarding the lock button on the Fob, here is what the manual says,

"Press once to lock the doors. When LOCK is pressed twice,
the lights flash and the horn sounds to confirm locking."

In actual fact the lights also flash when you just click the LOCK button once but the manual doesn't say that, at least not in what I quoted above...

bob...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diitto
To close my trunk I have to let it close most of the way and then I have to put both palms right above the latch mechanism and push down hard (that's the subject of another post I made some time back)... But anyway, sometimes when I do that, the car alarm goes off (horn honking one per second or so)...
You have 2 problems.

#1 it shouldn't be so difficult to close your trunk.

#2 Your alarm definitely should not be going off in that scenario.

Unfortunately you're going to have to take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I am sometimes setting off my car alarm

Quick Reply: Why I am sometimes setting off my car alarm