C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine lite P0449 ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 AM
spice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default check engine lite P0449 ???

hi

my check engine light came on a while back and just before it came on the dic said "check gas cap" . so i replaced gas cap. check engine lite still stayed on. after reading some posts about this i thought it might take a few start ups/refueling for it to go away. it hasn't.

anyway this morning i went to autozone just for the hell of it and had them read the codes. this what the print out says -

P0449
definition-
(evaporative emission system) purge/vent
soleniod circuit condition

explaination -
the sloeniods and system wiring are montiored for opens or shorts

probable cause-
purge or vent solenoids defective
check connector and wiring
fuel saturated vapor canister
failed EVAP vent solenoid

car runs and sounds fine. what gives? is it ok to drive?

thnks spice
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recall that some have stated that gas cap related error requires multiple on/off cycles before the code will disappear. Or get a code reader to clear the error. Looks like the P0449 is not only the gas cap. Check out this previous thread for some good info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...tepinside.html

Last edited by gar4403; 09-16-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

It's emission related so I would get the dealer to fix it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to do what you feel is best but I'd clear the code (or have AutoZone clear it) and monitor the situation to see if the DFC returns. If the fault code returns I'd take the car to the dealership and have them diagnose the issue.

Long story short I once had the check gas cap warning. Someone suggested instead of trying to screw the gas cap down tight, I put the gas cap on as 'loosely' as possible. I mean the cap is on but I don't try to screw it down tight. I've never seen another check gas cap warning. In another instance, I once fueled my car from a 5-gallon container which had a hard plastic spout that required I press-down hard on it to open the fuel release valve. After using it my fuel gauge stopped working and I had some 'high-level fuel sensor' fault code. I continued to drive the car and in a month or so the gas guage stared working again and the fault code went away. Go figure.

Again, do what you think is right but I'd clear the code, drive the car and see if the code returns. If so, take the car to the shop. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 PM
ADIBELC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vent solenoid right hand tank top
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I got that code for loose gas cap. Cleared the code at AutoZone and it never came back.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM
spice
Advanced

thanks fo the replys. i asked them at autozone to clear the code but they said they couldn't do - by law. i will just get my local mechanic buddy to do it and if it returns just take it to a dealer. as i said car runs and sounds perfect.

the new electric stuff is nice - when its working- but i really don't see the need for some of it. lol
Old 09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I just got this code on my wife's 2008. My tuner cleared it but it came back. The gas cap looks fine. We dropped it off at the dealer this morning. We have never taken the car to the dealer for anything yet. I sure hope they know what they are doing.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:29 AM
spice
Advanced

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I just got this code on my wife's 2008. My tuner cleared it but it came back. The gas cap looks fine. We dropped it off at the dealer this morning. We have never taken the car to the dealer for anything yet. I sure hope they know what they are doing.
street rat . how did you make out at the dealership ? what did they find?

thnks spice
Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by spice
street rat . how did you make out at the dealership ? what did they find?

thnks spice
There was a story in the Austin American Statesman this past week about one of the local chevy dealers accidentally sending a customers Corvette to the crusher. Wonder if it was his ...............................
Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

As I was reading this I was wondering if I started this thread and forgot because I have the same problem that started last week.

I purchased a new cap from my local dealer ($22 gulp) and he told me it should clear after about 50 miles, but it did not.

I have yet to refuel and have a code reader and will clear the code myself. If it comes back then I will take it to the dealer, bend over and ask them to be gentle
Old 09-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The problem was the fuel tank vent solenoid. The part was $26.06 and it needs an upgraded harness to go with it. The harness costs another $37.30. I got jammed for $243.88 total.

From what I've read the part is easy to install. So if your car is out of warranty you may want to do it yourself. This is my wife's car and she made the decision to go ahead with the dealer install.

I think the part should be under the emission warranty. I'm in the process of finding out why it wasn't.

My dealer experience wasn't a bad one at all. I asked that the car not be washed. It wasn't. It came back with no body damage due to improper lifting. I was contacted three times during the day with updates while it was in the shop. It was fixed in a timely manner. The dealership that I used was Don Hewlett Chevrolet in Georgetown, TX.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

W. GA Events Coordinator

Street Rat thanks for the info. I'm pretty handily with a wrench so may just do it myself if its easy to get to without a lift.

Glad you got it fixed

Hey, Spice...how's yours progressing? Keep us posted......this seems to be common problem.

Last edited by JKbride; 09-29-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 AM
spice
Advanced

Originally Posted by JKbride
Street Rat thanks for the info. I'm pretty handily with a wrench so may just do it myself if its easy to get to without a lift.

Glad you got it fixed

Hey, Spice...how's yours progressing? Keep us posted......this seems to be common problem.
hey street rat thnks for the timely reply. its seems that this is a common problem and a easy fix. thnks

jk, i have done some research and it seems like the fuel vent solenoid is the problem. it may also be the fuses but most likely the solenoid. i like u am pretty mechanical so i will check it out. seems like a pretty easy diy project. i will keep updateing just dnt knw when as i am very busy and not in corvette mode . keep us posted on your work also

spice
Old 09-29-2012, 10:35 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Check the emissions warranty. Certian components are warranted for 8/80.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 AM
spice
Advanced

had time to work on car this weekend so here is the update -

1st i thought i would buy a code reader. seems like a handy thing to have and i can use it on my truck. it's an actron - $126

next i cleared the code. started car up . the cel didn't come on . the directions in code reader say to start the car 2x as the it may take a couple of cycles to b sure. after a couple of start ups the cel came on so it's not the gas cap must be solenoid.

call autozone. they can get in a couple of days - $23 - with long weekend probably middle of next week i figure. call chevy dealer. they have solenoid - $35 - ouch and harness $37 so i bite bullet and get it as this is the only time i have to replace it

jack up rear end and put it on stands. looks easy enough. squeeze clip on hose with pliers, unplug solenoid, slide old solenoid off, slide new on, plug harness in done.

next clear codes and start up a couple of times. everything seems good no codes come on so i guess it's fixed. time will tell

not really a hard job just a pita. its kinda of hard to reach in and unclip harness and the solenoid slides off to the back of the car not the front - took me a couple of trys to figure this out lol

anyway i saved a few bucks which bought my code reader.

spice
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It's good to see that someone did this themselves. I'm glad you didn't get taken by the stealership like me.

Get notified of new replies

To check engine lite P0449 ???

Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

W. GA Events Coordinator

Tnxs for the update. I have been out of town since I last posted and will reset codes and refuel today. If that don't work then I will purchase the parts from my local dealer and install myself.

Any pics? If not when I do mine ill do I DIY thread.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
spice
Advanced

Originally Posted by JKbride
Tnxs for the update. I have been out of town since I last posted and will reset codes and refuel today. If that don't work then I will purchase the parts from my local dealer and install myself.

Any pics? If not when I do mine ill do I DIY thread.
no pictures. try buying the parts frm autozone or the like. it might be cheaper. it's pretty simple just get car up high enough and it will be easier. also the clips are trickey as which way they unclip at least for a novice. and remember the solenoid slides off towards back of car. safey glasses will help as to keep dirt ect from falling in eyes.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
spice
Advanced

It's good to see that someone did this themselves. I'm glad you didn't get taken by the stealership like me.
thnks street rat. kinda a diy guy. hate to spend the money and like to see how things work

Quick Reply: check engine lite P0449 ???