C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle

I did this with my G27 full cockpit. I used clutch/shifter, no paddles in front of my 50". I've been racing and playing the Gran Turismo series for many years...just something I do in my spare time.

I spoke with Jim Mero at the last bash about his runs for quite a bit. I've known the Nurburgring track for many years, thanks to this great game. I am extremely impressed by the similarity in grip at the limit. This game simulates the cars ability to an amazing extent.

Watch the video...it's really impressive at times how close we are. Notice signage and fencing...amazing accuracy. This was pretty fun.

I chose the 2008 record because in the game, the 2009 ZR1 would be exactly as the car that set the 2008 record. For those who aren't familiar, the G27 cockpit setup I have has some amazing feel. The steering has full feedback, all pedals are active, and there is a real shifter with a leather boot even. It's realism is surprising...and is not easy by any means. Driving with this setup certainly increases your hand speed. I've gained a lot of skill from these games, no question.

Now for the vid. Embed tool isn't working....so gay. BTW...I won...by a hair...haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9wuX...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by RC000E; 09-20-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM
tmkeys
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

What's your cockpit look like? Ever try iracing?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

My cockpit is a pvc setup I built. It works very well. I measured all distances and heights out of my z06, so the shifter and wheel position are exactly the same. I'm rebuilding another one soon though...gonna be a beast.

I've wanted to iRace for a long time, but I have some issues. I want to run on a 50" but I couldn't get my pc close enough. Now I have my office redone, so my tv and pc are close...just gotta get a long hdmi and figure out the setup to make it all work. I'd love to iRace though for sure...the ultimate in virtual racing right now, no question.

GT5 is fun though...keeps my hands quick in down time and gives me something to do when I'm bored.

I was supposed to go to the Nurburgring this year, but things fell through with time. Next year is gonna be it. I can't go any longer not running that thing....I need it. I'm so used to it on GT5 though, my friends joke that I'm gonna die because I drive it hard in the game. We'll see...lol.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Very
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

VERY realistic!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by RC000E
My cockpit is a pvc setup I built. It works very well. I measured all distances and heights out of my z06, so the shifter and wheel position are exactly the same. I'm rebuilding another one soon though...gonna be a beast.

I've wanted to iRace for a long time, but I have some issues. I want to run on a 50" but I couldn't get my pc close enough. Now I have my office redone, so my tv and pc are close...just gotta get a long hdmi and figure out the setup to make it all work. I'd love to iRace though for sure...the ultimate in virtual racing right now, no question.

GT5 is fun though...keeps my hands quick in down time and gives me something to do when I'm bored.

I was supposed to go to the Nurburgring this year, but things fell through with time. Next year is gonna be it. I can't go any longer not running that thing....I need it. I'm so used to it on GT5 though, my friends joke that I'm gonna die because I drive it hard in the game. We'll see...lol.
Any chance you still have your measurements and or plans? My desk cockpit isn't cutting it
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Minnesota Scott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting!

I enjoyed the video

Scott
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

This is one of the most interesting and cool postings I have seen. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

We'd love to see photos of your whole setup, looks all too real
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Houston Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice run there. I like your patience on corners

I have a PVC setup too that I just built for GT5.

I run it on 70" SHARP with Denon surround sound setup.

If you sit in front of the TV close enough, you just forget that your in your living room or on a race track. Its that real.

I use my Logitech Momo racing wheel on it with FF.

Regards
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Thing that bugged me with gt5 was the cars audio. Forza has superior audio accuracy, but gt5 crushes in graphic detail, accuracy and I truly believe the gt5 physics and simulation characteristics are the most developed out there. I think this run even proves gt5's accuracy even further. The grip levels, acceleration, gearing and all seem absolutely dead on.

I am working on plans for the next cockpit now. This one has seen its use and abuse, though it works. My next one will use the pedals inverted, use an aftermarket hydraulic filled break pedal and have proper pedal position so i can actually heel-toe like i do in my race car and every other car for that matter.

I am looking at the porsche Fanatec steering wheel, but i think i would like to keep my pedals and shifter...though i am not sure they can be made to work together. Doing some final research then gonna build the ultimate...lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Thing that bugged me with gt5 was the cars audio. Forza has superior audio accuracy, but gt5 crushes in graphic detail, accuracy and I truly believe the gt5 physics and simulation characteristics are the most developed out there. I think this run even proves gt5's accuracy even further. The grip levels, acceleration, gearing and all seem absolutely dead on.

I am working on plans for the next cockpit now. This one has seen its use and abuse, though it works. My next one will use the pedals inverted, use an aftermarket hydraulic filled break pedal and have proper pedal position so i can actually heel-toe like i do in my race car and every other car for that matter.

I am looking at the porsche Fanatec steering wheel, but i think i would like to keep my pedals and shifter...though i am not sure they can be made to work together. Doing some final research then gonna build the ultimate...lol.
I've been very happy with my dfgt and fanatec club sport pedals. But then again you wouldn't be able to mix and match on a console.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Houston Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe something like THIS
Old 09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I've seen that as well ^. I've explored so many options to see what's out there...it's just tough because no really solid reviews exist on certain products to convince me they are worth purchase.

The G27 pedal assembly I think is a good piece, and people are making aftermarket pieces that are oil filled shocks versus spring filled tubes for pedal resistance. The thing that takes some realism away, as well as some feel, is that the brake pedal has no increase in resistance the harder you push. This requires a lot more concentration on braking because you lose that sense.

The G27 wheel though has a 10% dead zone at the top and I feel I lose some line precision. I also feel it makes it more difficult to really balance a car on the edge of adhesion. It'd be like having a zr1 with slop in the rack or bad tie rod ends....not good at 180mph...lol.

The G27 shifter is a good piece, but add 100 bucks to it and make it heavier, beefier...use some weight or some metal versus plastic....it'd be way better. Add a heavy shift **** to it might do the trick...hard to say...maybe I'll try.

So, my search continues. I think the fanatec wheel, with it's belt driven design and adjustability of lock-lock and dead zone make it a win. The shifter and pedals though...idk.

I watched that vid again today though...still impresses the hell out of me how consistent it is with Jim's run.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I've seen that as well ^. I've explored so many options to see what's out there...it's just tough because no really solid reviews exist on certain products to convince me they are worth purchase.

The G27 pedal assembly I think is a good piece, and people are making aftermarket pieces that are oil filled shocks versus spring filled tubes for pedal resistance. The thing that takes some realism away, as well as some feel, is that the brake pedal has no increase in resistance the harder you push. This requires a lot more concentration on braking because you lose that sense.

The G27 wheel though has a 10% dead zone at the top and I feel I lose some line precision. I also feel it makes it more difficult to really balance a car on the edge of adhesion. It'd be like having a zr1 with slop in the rack or bad tie rod ends....not good at 180mph...lol.

The G27 shifter is a good piece, but add 100 bucks to it and make it heavier, beefier...use some weight or some metal versus plastic....it'd be way better.

So, my search continues. I think the fanatec wheel, with it's belt driven design and adjustability of lock-lock and dead zone make it a win. The shifter and pedals though...idk.
My clubsports have a load cell Pick up a csr or csr elite wheel and some clubsport pedals!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Wow...I hadn't seen those clubsports. Oh man...postin this vid gonna cost me money! Haha.

How crazy is it though, that I paid 225.00 for my G27 setup, and after GT5 came out you couldn't touch a G27 for under 900.00. I had to show my friends the receipt because they didn't believe it. Had I known...boy...I'd have bought every G27 I could at the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

If you decide to let go of your g27 let me know I could use the wheel and shifter, but don't need the pedals.

A good place if you're interested in used items would be within the members forums of iracing.com, there is also a buy/sell forum on insidesimracing.tv
Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Outstanding post! Very interesting. I'd love to try this. I know I couldn't match you, but it would be fun.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Minnesota Scott
Thanks for posting!

I enjoyed the video

Scott

Quick Reply: Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle