C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a power seat problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with a power seat problem!!!!

Hello I posted a while back about a problem I had with a power driver's seat on my car. I am still having problems and I am looking for any help PLEASE!!!!!

I have a 2007 base model Corvette with a LS2 and a 6 speed manual transmission. I have a power seat on the driver's side only and no side airbags.

A while back I was driving down the street and my seat moved backwards and down all on its own. It ran my battery dead so I replaced the battery and pulled the fuse. I talked to some local corvette owners and here was given some advice (thanks to everyone I do appreciate it). My seat had moved so far back and downwards that I can not get to the rear bolts to remove the seat.

So today I decided to end my problems and I put the fuse back in. Of course the seat does not move at all and I do not hear the seat motor at all. I tried to reset the drivers settings (for driver one and driver two) but nothing happens. I checked the fuse and it is not blown. So a friend of mine said to add power directly to the motor and move the seat forward......

I reached under the seat and unplugged a connector that looks like it goes to the motor. It has 3 red wires and 3 black wires. I started at one end and added power to the red wire and grounded the black wire and the seat raised on the front end of it tilting it back more. I then went to the middle wires and did the same thing and nothing happened. I then went to the 3 set and did the samething but nothing happened.

Now my seat is in a worse position and the car is even harder to drive. I do not want to take it to a dealer and get ripped off (it is out of warranty) but I am ready to take a torch to it. Please I would really appreciate any help on how to either get this seat out so I can work on it or how to even move the seat to a better position.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by KibunInc
Hello I posted a while back about a problem I had with a power driver's seat on my car. I am still having problems ad I am looking for any help PLEASE!!!!!

I have a 2007 base model Corvette with a LS2 and a 6 speed manual transmission. I have a power seat on the driver's side only and no side airbags.

A while back I was driving down the street and my seat moved backwards and down all on its own. It ran my battery dead so I replaced the battery and pulled the fuse. I talked to some local corvette owners and here was given some advice (thanks to everyone I do appreciate it). My seat had moved so far back and downwards that I can not get to the rear bolts to remove the seat.

So today I decided to end my problems and I put the fuse back in. Of course the seat does not move at all and I do not hear the seat motor at all. I tried to reset the drivers settings (for driver one and driver two) but nothing happens. I checked the fuse and it is not blown. So a friend of mine said to add power directly to the motor and move the seat forward......

I reached under the seat and unplugged a connector that looks like it goes to the motor. It has 3 red wires and 3 black wires. I started at one end and added power to the red wire and grounded the black wire and the seat raised on the front end of it tilting it back more. I then went to the middle wires and did the same thing and nothing happened. I then went to the 3 set and did the samething but nothing happened.

Now my seat is in a worse position and the car is even harder to drive. I do not want to take it to a dealer and get ripped off (it is out of warranty) but I am ready to take a torch to it. Please I would really appreciate any help on how to either get this seat out so I can work on it or how to even move the seat to a better position.
Changing the polarity on any of those sets of wires will reverse the direction. Follow the wires from the motor on the front and apply power in the polartity that will move it forward. I went through the exact same thing on my car.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Cool just so I understand, where I applied power to the red wire and grounded the black wire just switch the wires and the seat should move the other direction. I will do this tomorrow. THANKS!!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Cool just so I understand, where I applied power to the red wire and grounded the black wire just switch the wires and the seat should move the other direction. I will do this tomorrow. THANKS!!!!
Yes sir! That's all the two way switch on the seat does. It completes the circuit each time but the polarity is different on each side.

Be careful not to lose access to the front bolts because you moved the seat too far forward .
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 AM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks.I will be doing this tomorrow!!!!.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I was able to reverse the seat movement and the front is no longer tilted upward and I can drive my car again. I tried to reverse the polarity on the two other wires and I am not able to move the seat forward.

Is there any suggestions or wire schematics as to which wires I would jump to move the seat forward. I still want to be able to remove the seat in order to make it functional again. I am even thinking of replacing the seat with an upgrade. Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Check the attachment for various seat connector wiring diagrams. AAB stands for memory seats.

Bill
Attached Files
Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Thanks for the input. I was able to reverse the seat movement and the front is no longer tilted upward and I can drive my car again. I tried to reverse the polarity on the two other wires and I am not able to move the seat forward.

Is there any suggestions or wire schematics as to which wires I would jump to move the seat forward. I still want to be able to remove the seat in order to make it functional again. I am even thinking of replacing the seat with an upgrade. Thanks
Im sorry to hear that it didn't work out. The motor in the front should take care of forward and back motion if you can get to the wires.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just fixed one for a buddy, the main wires going to the memory module broke off at the connector! I was amazed, never seen that before. His was a 05. I was able to access the rear bolts with a universal swivel socket and 3' extention.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by kevakasper
I just fixed one for a buddy, the main wires going to the memory module broke off at the connector! I was amazed, never seen that before. His was a 05. I was able to access the rear bolts with a universal swivel socket and 3' extention.
Mine had exactly the same problem. Wires broke off right at the two main power terminals and I had to repair it using standard slide on connectors since I didn't have access to a metra pack.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Sometimes, a dealer or independant shop familiar with Corvettes, is the best way to go.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. The wiring schematics is awesome and I will use it this weekend. I did try to get back there with a swivel socket and will probably try again this weekend. I am hoping to fix it this weekend. Thanks to everyone!!!!
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 PM
KibunInc
Instructor

THANKS for everyones input. I used the wiring schematic and was finally able to move the seat forward and get to the rear bolts. I found out that the problem is that the wire connector will not stay connected to the switch on the side of the seat. I did not know how to remove the side panel and switch on the seat (no side airbags), so I just set the seat where I like it and that is cool. THANKS

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a power seat problem!!!!

Quick Reply: Help with a power seat problem!!!!