C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 transmission service result 6L80E

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Default A6 transmission service result 6L80E

I performed the 100,000 mile transmission service on my 07 A6 Z51. I drained the fluid, removed the pan, replaced the filter and refilled the transmission.
What was really surprising (And Good) was since this is the first time the pan had been off and the oil changed, The fluid was in better than expected condition, It didnt have that burned trans fluid smell you might expect after so many miles and it was still a pretty clear redish brown color. The best part was looking in the bottom of the pan and finding ... NOTHING, no sludge, no metal particles, clutch material NOTHING. even the magnet had just a slight film of a greyish buildup on it that wiped right off with a rag.
The transmission internals that I could see looked like the day it was made, no evidence of wear or contamination at all, So looking a little further, I opened up the filter just to see what was on the filter media and ...NOTHING other than old fluid it looked like it had about 95% of its life left in it.
So the bottom line (on my transmission at least) is that apparently its clutch friction material is extremely durable. The Fluid, Dexron VI does a great job of lubricating and keeping parts clean, and the service interval as stated in the owners manual (50000 Miles for severe driving condition and 100000 for normal conditions) is correct.
Also per the manual, in the fluid capacity section it states the trans will take 6.5 Qts if you drain the pan and change the filter. This appears to be about right, after draining all the old fluid, I measured it and found just a little less than 6 Qts had come out. When I filled it. I put 6 Qts in, started the car, Let the trans warm up to about 115 degrees while shifting it up and down thru the gears, (the car needs to level and on jack stands to do this) leaving the engine running in park, I removed the drain plug as it states to do, about 3-4 OZs of fluid came out before it it was just dripping, I then reinstalled the plug and that was that!! It took about 2 hrs to do start to finish.
The filter cost $13.00. 6 qts of NAPA Dexron VI was $37.00 I reused the original gasket (Free). Knowing the transmission is in good condition, Priceless

Last edited by Rogers 07; 09-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:04 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Awesome
Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
I performed the 100,000 mile transmission service on my 07 A6 Z51. I drained the fluid, removed the pan, replaced the filter and refilled the transmission.
What was really surprising (And Good) was since this is the first time the pan had been off and the oil changed, The fluid was in better than expected condition, It didnt have that burned trans fluid smell you might expect after so many miles and it was still a pretty clear redish brown color. The best part was looking in the bottom of the pan and finding ... NOTHING, no sludge, no metal particles, clutch material NOTHING. even the magnet had just a slight film of a greyish buildup on it that wiped right off with a rag.
The transmission internals that I could see looked like the day it was made, no evidence of wear or contamination at all, So looking a little further, I opened up the filter just to see what was on the filter media and ...NOTHING other than old fluid it looked like it had about 95% of its life left in it.
So the bottom line (on my transmission at least) is that apparently its clutch friction material is extremely durable. The Fluid, Dexron VI does a great job of lubricating and keeping parts clean, and the service interval as stated in the owners manual (50000 Miles for severe driving condition and 100000 for normal conditions) is correct.
Also per the manual, in the fluid capacity section it states the trans will take 6.5 Qts if you drain the pan and change the filter. This appears to be about right, after draining all the old fluid, I measured it and found just a little less than 6 Qts had come out. When I filled it. I put 6 Qts in, started the car, Let the trans warm up to about 115 degrees while shifting it up and down thru the gears, (the car needs to level and on jack stands to do this) leaving the engine running in park, I removed the drain plug as it states to do, about 3-4 OZs of fluid came out before it it was just dripping, I then reinstalled the plug and that was that!! It took about 2 hrs to do start to finish.
The filter cost $13.00. 6 qts of NAPA Dexron VI was $37.00 I reused the original gasket (Free). Knowing the transmission is in good condition, Priceless
Better fluid than Amsoil or Redline?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
Better fluid than Amsoil or Redline?
Im not sure if Amsoil or Redline is DEXR0N VI rated. The 6L80E requires DEXRON VI fluid. I would think that any ATF fluid either synthetic or not that meets DEXRON VI specifications would be fine. I used the NAPA fluid because I just happened to be at NAPA buying parts. Im sure their NAPA brand fluid is repackaged from one of the big fluid manufactures, (I think its Valvoline but wouldn't swear to it )
Old 09-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,497 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

did you have a 100,000 miles on the car?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:50 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default A6's are cool!

Thanks Rogers 07. My '06 A6 has 28,000 and performs flawlessly(spelling?). Sure hope I get as good results that you have.

Earl
Old 09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
and to add to the above q., your car is about 5 to 6 years old---is there a time when it should be done, in the event you don't hit the 100K mile mark?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Im not sure if Amsoil or Redline is DEXR0N VI rated. The 6L80E requires DEXRON VI fluid. I would think that any ATF fluid either synthetic or not that meets DEXRON VI specifications would be fine. I used the NAPA fluid because I just happened to be at NAPA buying parts. Im sure their NAPA brand fluid is repackaged from one of the big fluid manufactures, (I think its Valvoline but wouldn't swear to it )
Group 4 and 5 synthetic oils?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Good job...and nice to know that everything looked good inside when you opened it up. It's a great feeling to do this kind of job yourself...know what it looked like inside and know that it is done right.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

99,978 to be exact !! Every one personally driven by Me.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You changed it tooo soon!!!!

Great job and great write up.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Good for you. I let Vandergriff Chevy Service do mine as it was in for diff seals under warranty. Mine had 84,000 on it. Just worried me to let the fluid go that long.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Originally Posted by AORoads
and to add to the above q., your car is about 5 to 6 years old---is there a time when it should be done, in the event you don't hit the 100K mile mark?
I dont think time alone, is as much of a factor in the fluid life as much as wear and tear from driving conditions. That being said, and given what I found and have known about fluid life, Changing it around 5 years or about 100,000 miles would seem prudent !! (50,000 or less if you flog it hard, racing conditions would warrent even more frequent changes)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Nice job OP!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Great job and write up. One more case of DIY is the way to go.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

99,978 to be exact !! Every one personally driven by Me.
I can't believe the condition after that many miles, good job!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

I can't believe the condition after that many miles, good job!
Me neither, I was really surprised, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself

Get notified of new replies

To A6 transmission service result 6L80E

Old 09-29-2012, 08:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I dont think time alone, is as much of a factor in the fluid life as much as wear and tear from driving conditions. That being said, and given what I found and have known about fluid life, Changing it around 5 years or about 100,000 miles would seem prudent !! (50,000 or less if you flog it hard, racing conditions would warrent even more frequent changes)
Thanks for the insightful answer. The reason I asked is that another fellow (see url) posed a question re his '06 which went into service 10/05 w. now 42K miles on it. His thought was to potentially "let it ride" until 100K miles. My extrapolation told me that that would be at about 14-16 years of age on the '06 and the trans fluid (since he's now got 7 yrs. on it now)! Frankly, I think that would be a nutso move on his part to save a few bucks, and it appears he will be changing it very soon.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...n-service.html

Last edited by AORoads; 09-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Thanks for the insightful answer. The reason I asked is that another fellow (see url) posed a question re his '06 which went into service 10/05 w. now 42K miles on it. His thought was to potentially "let it ride" until 100K miles. My extrapolation told me that that would be at about 14-16 years of age on the '06 and the trans fluid (since he's now got 7 yrs. on it now)! Frankly, I think that would be a nutso move on his part to save a few bucks, and it appears he will be changing it very soon.

I have been taking interest in this thread because I have an 07 with only 50k miles, hard to say whether I should be following normal or severe service schedule. At any rate, I am not concerned about dropping a couple of hundred bucks to get the service done but it is more around as to whether something will get disturbed and cause the transmission to fail, which otherwise would not have happened.

However, given the OP's findings, it seems like that if I get the pan dropped and filter changed that the chances are quite slim for it to "trigger" an issue with the transmission.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:29 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Not that this directly compares with the Vette, but many years ago I had a '70 El Camino that the first transmission fluid and filter change was slightly over 130K. I sold the car with 234K before the next change. Somewhere before the 200K mark I replaced a leaking rear seal, as it was the only repair ever needed. I've owned about 40 cars with automatics and the only one that ever broke was an old style 4-speed '53 Olds hydramatic that I raced.
What I'm trying to say, is that automatics are pretty tough and dependable. I currently have 101K on my A6 and it's been trouble free even through 300+ passes down the 1/4 mi.

Quick Reply: A6 transmission service result 6L80E