C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 PM
HZ06
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Whats wrong with rain?

I have read a lot of ads when people says their cars have never seen the rain.

In my town barely rains, been in rain about 4 times in the last year since it is daily drive.

My question is how much value is for a car driven in the rain or not and how you can probe that?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

As far as I am concerned there is absolutely NO difference between a car driven in the rain and one that is not. But, I have never purchased a used vehicle. Always, new. AND, believe it or not...some new cars waiting to be shipped get rained on.

The same holds true for Garage Queens. If someone purchased one of those....they should get it for less to take all that wax off....
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven my '10 GS in the rain 3-4 times and always caught by accident. I *know* it won't hurt my car at all - they do a water [torture] test as one of the the last things when all Vettes are built. But the difference is how much easier it is to keep clean if I don't drive my car in the rain. I don't have to deal with the road scum on the paint or dirt "glued" onto the wheel wells. It's just a lot easier to keep my car looking good.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Default rain

only problem up here is the temp. when it is wet here it tends to be colder. the runcraps do not feel good or grip when it is chilly or cold.
I have done the dance many times when the tcs cant catch up fast enough. That said, just was her and go.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

In answer to your question, rain contains water. Water on Corvettes makes them shrink. Its just not good for them to get wet. The wetter they get, the smaller they get.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
In answer to your question, rain contains water. Water on Corvettes makes them shrink. Its just not good for them to get wet. The wetter they get, the smaller they get.
Very true. Of course, rain water isn't a whole lot wetter than car washing water!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
Reminds me of something else that gets smaller.... oohhh never mind!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:36 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

How the hell can anyone who puts "Never Seen Rain" in an ad ever prove it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And whats the difference anyway. Rain isn't gonna kill the car.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
martinf55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
Reminds me of something else that gets smaller.... oohhh never mind!!!
Yeah, just ask George Costanza!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
CaptainChet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVRose
How the hell can anyone who puts "Never Seen Rain" in an ad ever prove it. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And whats the difference anyway. Rain isn't gonna kill the car.
No joke!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Seriously... none at all, other than bragging.

I do not drive the Vette in the rain because I am lazy.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H-Z/28

In my town barely rains, been in rain about 4 times in the last year since it is daily drive.

My question is how much value is for a car driven in the rain or not and how you can probe that?
While acid rain can etch the clearcoat, so can bird droppings and bug splatter. What really damages cars? Start with sunlight. So only drive outside at night. Sand blasting, pebbles and rocks. So never drive on roads on which these exist, especially if you have summer tires which grab them up and propel them at high speed against your protruding vents, wheel flares and ground effects. Never drive with other vehicles on the road as they will also propel rocks, pebbles and sand against your car's paint and windshield. Never drive when their is wind, as this will also cause sand blasting. Never park in a parking lot. Come to think of it, rain is probably the least destructive situation your fiberglass Vette will ever deal with.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh I thought you were talking about "makin it rain" like in da strip club...but if you're talking the wet stuff outside...no don't drive da vett in the rain...that's what the DD is for!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
As far as I am concerned there is absolutely NO difference between a car driven in the rain and one that is not. But, I have never purchased a used vehicle. Always, new. AND, believe it or not...some new cars waiting to be shipped get rained on.

The same holds true for Garage Queens. If someone purchased one of those....they should get it for less to take all that wax off....
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 PM
b murph
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07/A6 (Blackey) is getting rained on right now! But the one thing i can say it's never seen is a CAR WASH.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,249 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by H-Z/28

Old 09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You will never convince those with 0 miles in the rain and keep the car for years and boast - only has 7500 miles on it what good times could have been had.

Somehow these cars seems worthy of being maintained in a climate controlled environment for the life of the car.

Just wonder how long a car sits on the Bowling green parking lot before it gets put on a truck or train for a trek across the country. OH.. they must haul them in closed trailers and climate control environment from the minute it leaves the factory door too .

I don't get it - never will.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats wrong with rain?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's my take of driving in the rain. It's not the rain coming down, it's the dirt in the street that never gets removed.

Did you ever notice the guys on the auction programs that walk up to the side of the car being auctioned? They have a mirror and a flashlight so they can see the bottom of the car. One of the programs actually has a pit with lighting and a camera for all to see.

If you want to take good care of your car, you wash and wax it when it needs it and if the bottom always looks clean, you won't need to wash it. Just had the ZR1 on the lift at the dealer and with 10k on the clock, it looks brand new.

I know that's ****, but have you ever tried to wash the bottom of your car - good luck with that.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Here's my take of driving in the rain. It's not the rain coming down, it's the dirt in the street that never gets removed.

Did you ever notice the guys on the auction programs that walk up to the side of the car being auctioned? They have a mirror and a flashlight so they can see the bottom of the car. One of the programs actually has a pit with lighting and a camera for all to see.

If you want to take good care of your car, you wash and wax it when it needs it and if the bottom always looks clean, you won't need to wash it. Just had the ZR1 on the lift at the dealer and with 10k on the clock, it looks brand new.

I know that's ****, but have you ever tried to wash the bottom of your car - good luck with that.
actually Nick you can get under there and clean the bottom.. here is my C3 getting steam cleaned ..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by pcguy2u

I understand where you are coming from, believe me. I truly believe in keeping my car clean, inside and out. But I won't ever have my car on one of those auctions, and if I sell it and the guy buying it brings a mirror and a flashlight, it is no longer for sale. Its a CAR. It was meant to be driven on the street, in all kinds of weather.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with rain?