C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curb abrasion help???

Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM
2007Coupe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curb abrasion help???

I parked too close to a cement curb, abrased paint on lower edge, what is good way to help remove scratches? The scratches are not real noticable unless looking for them.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

best way... don't look at them. If it's not bad enough to get it professionally fixed then leave it. Many on here will give you directions on DIY, but i know a lot of guys (with non vettes) try it and really mess up.... maybe look into these guys?? http://www.awrswheelrepair.com Many dealers have on site wheel repairs as well, so if you have a great dealer you trust, ask them....

PS I had both passenger rims repaired at my dealer and they came out perfect!! (They rims were damaged pretty bad too)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I have nightmares about curbin my wheels/
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Go to great lengths to avoid curb rash - been there done that and don't want it again. If the bosslady is with me, she gets out and directs and if she isn't, I turn the passenger mirror down so I can see both the curb, the rear wheel and the relationship between the side of the car and the line of the curb.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Watch out for those bumper blocks. Many people have damaged their lower below the bumper fronts. I got lucky at least twice.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007Coupe
I parked too close to a cement curb, abrased paint on lower edge, what is good way to help remove scratches? The scratches are not real noticable unless looking for them.
I had some light abrasions on both front & rear wheels.....just the outer edge adjacent to the tire bead. Local wheel repair shop quoted me $250 each for repair which seemed pretty steep. Instead I used a 120 grit flap disc (finest I could find) on my hand grinder & very carefully touched up the abraded areas. Then used a buffing wheel & a white polishing stick to finish up. Results are not perfect, but good enough unless you look real close. BTW....got all the materials at a local Harbor Freight store.

Get notified of new replies

To curb abrasion help???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: curb abrasion help???