C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this my fault...in insurance terms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
jasartflan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this my fault...in insurance terms?

While pulling into a parking space at Norfolk Naval Base on the trip home from Vettes on the Point, my passenger front tire rolled over a round water drain cover, which was apparently not secured to the pavement. The cover got flipped up just enough so the rear edge of passenter front wheel well struck the now protruding metal cover, ripping the fender. I did not see the cover protruding above the pavement, nor do I expect a cover in a parking space to come up when rolled over. This counts as a collision as far as the insurance agency is concerned. Since this is a single-vehicle collision, am I likely to be found at-fault, and incur raised rate, etc?
BTW, Vettes on the Point was a blast! The last 20 minutes of the trip, not so much. Pics to follow.

Jason
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
ofallonrick
Intermediate

You can contact the base JAG office to find a claim against the US since it happened on base.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

You should definitely report the incident to the Base and seek compensation from them for the damage, as you are right - the cover should not have been loose where cars are expected to be. You should get some photos of the loose cover if possible to document the condition.

If you go through your own policy, if it is charged as a collision accident then yes, it is a chargeable accident that could affect your rates. On the other hand, if the insurer recovers from the liable party (the Base a/k/a the Fed Gov, the loss they paid out would be netted by that recovery and the impact on your premium would be mitigated.

You should definitely check your policy language to see if there is any way to classify this as a comprehensive or "other than collision" loss. For example, falling objects and animal strikes are not collision losses, but are, in fact, comprehensive claims. If you can find some latitude in the comprehensive policy language to have the loose cover fall under that coverage, you will usually have a lower deductible and, more importantly, a comprehensive claim is not chargeable against your premium.

Good luck and I hope the repairs are done quickly and look great!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ofallonrick
You can contact the base JAG office to find a claim against the US since it happened on base.
I had my door hit (on my Audi) on base and I called the MP's and they did a report. The guy that hit me was in a govt vehicle so the post was responsible for the repairs but I did have to go thru mu ins company then file a claim. I went to the same place you claim your households goods, etc being damaged. I had gone to the Audi dealer to ask how much they would take off for this showing up on carfax and he said 10% of new vehicle cost. Just need new door. He said to start there for deminished value and see where it goes. Well the post claims knew about DV and I asked for like 4k in DV (cant remeber exactly how much) thinkning they would come off that but they gave me full asking price. I made like 5k on that deal. Got door replaced for less than claimed and the DV and when I went to trade it in, it didnt show up on carfax cuz the MPs didnt report it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
jasartflan
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies. I was so upset I didn't even think of calling MPs at the time to make a report. Pics below.

[IMG]http://forums.corvetteforum.com/picture.php?albumid=29057&pictureid=1215 22[IMG]
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by jasartflan
While pulling into a parking space at Norfolk Naval Base on the trip home from Vettes on the Point, my passenger front tire rolled over a round water drain cover, which was apparently not secured to the pavement. The cover got flipped up just enough so the rear edge of passenter front wheel well struck the now protruding metal cover, ripping the fender. I did not see the cover protruding above the pavement, nor do I expect a cover in a parking space to come up when rolled over. This counts as a collision as far as the insurance agency is concerned. Since this is a single-vehicle collision, am I likely to be found at-fault, and incur raised rate, etc?
BTW, Vettes on the Point was a blast! The last 20 minutes of the trip, not so much. Pics to follow.

Jason

In my opinion, it is the Naval base that is responsible. They should have liability insurance to cover that incident. It is a safety issue. What would happen if you where walking and one foot kicked up the drain and your other foot fell in and you broke your leg or such? Your insurance company reasoning is wrong...period. Call them back again. Better yet get a different insurance company.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It may be too late as your insurance company is aware of the accident but why did you have to go-through your insurance carrier at all? Either the government/base carries commercial liability insurance or they self-insure. I would have tried to file a claim directly against the responsible party. Even if your insurance company ultimately subrogrates damages and collects from the government (or their insurance company) I doubt you'll avoid paying the 'penalty' premium imposed by your carrier due to the "collision." It's a raw deal IMO you didn't do anything wrong. I'd talk to a supervisor at your insurance to explain the circumstances. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:50 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
It may be too late as your insurance company is aware of the accident but why did you have to go-through your insurance carrier at all? Either the government/base carries commercial liability insurance or they self-insure. I would have tried to file a claim directly against the responsible party. Even if your insurance company ultimately subrogrates damages and collects from the government (or their insurance company) I doubt you'll avoid paying the 'penalty' premium imposed by your carrier due to the "collision." It's a raw deal IMO you didn't do anything wrong. I'd talk to a supervisor at your insurance to explain the circumstances. Good luck.
I went thru my ins company and then filed a claim witht the base and got full DV and cost plus back. I made 5k on that door getting hit on a base. And since Ive been with USAA for so long my rate didnt go up either. This was an Army base so dont know if that will make a difference.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding of my insurance - if you hit the fixed 'roadbed' (i.e. a chughole), it's collision. If you hit something movable, it's comprehensive. Under these terms, I think your comp would cover.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Have fun getting the Naval Base to pay for your car, though. I might be wrong, but.........I don't think they'll pay for it.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar
My understanding of my insurance - if you hit the fixed 'roadbed' (i.e. a chughole), it's collision. If you hit something movable, it's comprehensive. Under these terms, I think your comp would cover.
Do you have that reversed??? Other cars are movable so if you hit them, it is a collision. Comprehensive is all other perils not involving collision.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

It seems like it should be comp... But It is absolutely the responsibility of the Naval Station. However, getting them to pay for it is going to be the most difficult thing ever. I would not even file a claim with insurance, there are a ton of used OEM fenders on eBay, just grab one up, and have it resprayed at a quality shop, who knows there might even be one the same color for sale...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

Also, being that you are on a base, I assume you are with USAA, and they will cover the damage, and subrogate against the at fault party (provided they do not find you at fault).
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by McGinnis Towing
Also, being that you are on a base, I assume you are with USAA, and they will cover the damage, and subrogate against the at fault party (provided they do not find you at fault).
That's what you pay them for. If they're lucky they'll collect 100% on this one.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Regardless, road damage like this will not affect your rates. This is not considered a chargeable accident. You can verify this with your insurance agent.

Also, you should not have to get involved with seeking compensation from the base. That's up to your insurance company. This is why you have insurance.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

This is not considered a collision. It would be handled under comprehensive.

Shouldnt have any impact on your rates either.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by McGinnis Towing
It seems like it should be comp... But It is absolutely the responsibility of the Naval Station. However, getting them to pay for it is going to be the most difficult thing ever. I would not even file a claim with insurance, there are a ton of used OEM fenders on eBay, just grab one up, and have it resprayed at a quality shop, who knows there might even be one the same color for sale...
Have you tried to collect from a base before with car damage to this degree? i have and it was easy. Got three estimates and I filed where you file for damaged goods when PCSing and asked for DV and got it. INs fixed it but got reimbursed and I got the extra.

Ive been there and done that, OP it cant hurt to get the estimates and you can still get the MPs to file a report especially if the thing is still broke on the road plus you have pics. Go to the claims department and see what they say?

Last edited by S'vette; 10-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this my fault...in insurance terms?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
jasartflan
3rd Gear

I filed a report with base police, apparently this is a common problem on the roads here. I was found not at fault with insurance adjuster, which is a relief. Now on to repairs...does anyone in the VA Beach or Norfolk, VA area have recommendations on where to take the car or where not to go? I have a list of the recommended locations (Direct Repair Facilities) from USAA, but can use the shop of my choice. I appreciate the advice.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

I filed a report with base police, apparently this is a common problem on the roads here. I was found not at fault with insurance adjuster, which is a relief. Now on to repairs...does anyone in the VA Beach or Norfolk, VA area have recommendations on where to take the car or where not to go? I have a list of the recommended locations (Direct Repair Facilities) from USAA, but can use the shop of my choice. I appreciate the advice.
I would use USAA's DRP shop, only because the work has a lifetime warranty as long as you own the car. USAA will def take care of you if you are unhappy with the quality of the work. I'm glad everything has been handled, and you're on the road to repair!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

And get ur DV.

Quick Reply: Is this my fault...in insurance terms?