C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels
Print Wikipost

TPMS rant and poor dealership service !

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default TPMS rant and poor dealership service !

So I call the dealership and schedule and appointment to have the oil changed and to have the TPMS fixed. I take time out or my day starting at 2pm to show up at 2:30 for my appointment.

At 3:30 they come out and tell me they can't replace a "working part" and I tell them it randomly goes to XX and then says I have a flat tire. Of course I told them this 3 times and never did they say the would not replace them. I also ask them if they looked at my prior visit where it WAS failed and I did not have time for them to replace it. So I get a bit upset and leave pretty mad.

On the receipt there is a name and a phone number to call if you are not 100% completely satisfied. I call the number Friday when I get home, leave voice mail to please call me on Monday as I'm not 100% satisfied. Of course...by 2:30 no call so I call again and get voicemail again. Still no call back.

Has anyone ever heard because the part is not failed at the EXACT time you brought the car in the basically say they will not replace the part?

They also said they cannot send back a "working" part to GM..Do they really send all parts back to GM?

To say the least I'm a bit pissy about this as I spent my time and will have to go back AGAIN and spend more time when it fails and HOPE it's still failed when I get there...

OK, Rant over....

For those of you that want to know, it's Village Chev in Wayzata....
Old 09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I would forget the dealer and take it to a tire shop likse Discount Tire and tell them to replace the sensor.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

They could work with you on it. I had my climate control go blank when the temp outside went past 95 and the windows were up and the car in the sun. Took to the dealer, under warranty, and of course it was working, but they warrantied for me.

GM could do a charge back of a part replaced under warranty if determined to be not faulty. But really, the price is so small I doubt they would bother.

Dealer was just being a dick
Old 09-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No GM dos not want or inspect every warranty part. They(dealer) could write it up stating what you just said and replace the part. No rep would bust any chops over a TMPS.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Go somewhere else. They don't want your business.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
So I call the dealership and schedule and appointment to have the oil changed and to have the TPMS fixed. I take time out or my day starting at 2pm to show up at 2:30 for my appointment.

At 3:30 they come out and tell me they can't replace a "working part" and I tell them it randomly goes to XX and then says I have a flat tire. Of course I told them this 3 times and never did they say the would not replace them. I also ask them if they looked at my prior visit where it WAS failed and I did not have time for them to replace it. So I get a bit upset and leave pretty mad.

On the receipt there is a name and a phone number to call if you are not 100% completely satisfied. I call the number Friday when I get home, leave voice mail to please call me on Monday as I'm not 100% satisfied. Of course...by 2:30 no call so I call again and get voicemail again. Still no call back.

Has anyone ever heard because the part is not failed at the EXACT time you brought the car in the basically say they will not replace the part?

They also said they cannot send back a "working" part to GM..Do they really send all parts back to GM?

To say the least I'm a bit pissy about this as I spent my time and will have to go back AGAIN and spend more time when it fails and HOPE it's still failed when I get there...

OK, Rant over....

For those of you that want to know, it's Village Chev in Wayzata....
Dealer was just trying to **** you off so you would trade your crappy Corvette in on a new, wonderful Volt.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Garret,

I was thinking about calling you today and see if you got anywhere with this. I have personally been with Garret when this happens, so I can verify he has a problem with his tpms. Pretty $hitty if you ask me, someone buys a 60k dollar car and you get the runaround over a $50 dollar part. I called them today to get a price on a GMPP, got voicemail, left a message, and also no call back. Disappointing for sure.

GM dealerships, earning their reputations everyday.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 09-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Call and complain to Chevrolet Customer no service. Then tell us WHAT COUNTRY your talking to and if they know what a TPMS is.

Last edited by Ketchum; 09-11-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

find another dealer/name the dealer on here so others will know who it is.

talk to the supposed manager.

if they want to get paid by GM, yes, I'd say they need a failed part at the time they take it out, not days later.

they could have told you in advance but that requires brains. you didn't say it wasn't working all the time, probably.

tell chevrolet; they won't do anything but you might get a kind, innocuous email back that you can print and then frame next to your fake 10 dollar bill.

remember, it's just like a car that won't start (and that's one of the reasons for computers and "throwing codes"). how does a "mechanic" or today's term "technician" --- fix a car that isn't broken? answer: without a "code" or a car that won't start WHILE IT IS THERE, they can't. they can guess, they can throw parts at it, they can keep trying until it does it again, but aside from that, impossible.

still, they could have told you if it isn't doing it at the time, no replacement.

and btw, you have read on here the suggestions that when something starts happening to a car, don't shut it off, go directly to a dealer and leave it running---haven't you? that applies here, I guess. but you still need (most likely) a new dealer.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"....Has anyone ever heard because the part is not failed at the EXACT time you brought the car in the basically say they will not replace the part?"

Yes I have....if they can't replicate a problem they won't fix something or replace a functioning part under warranty. Intermittent problems are tough to diagnose and deal with. I understand your frustration though...if they previously verified the TPS was malfunctioning (and had you scheduled to replace it) you'd think they would just go-ahead and replace it irrespective of whether or not the TPS was working at the time. If that was the case I think I would have asked to speak with a supervisor/service manager. Better yet speak to the actual shop manager (who's like a Sergeant in the Army....the focal point of communications) and have him look-up the previous work order. I’d call them back and work it out or simply go somewhere else. Good luck.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM
ADIBELC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Date: June 27, 2012
Subject Tire Pressure Monitor Replacements and Part Return Requests
Models: All 2012 and prior year cars and trucks
To: All Dealers
Attention: All Service Managers, Parts Managers, Service Advisors, and Technicians That Work on or Relearn Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

Tire pressure monitors are currently on warranty parts return request. Of all the parts returned over the past few months, approximately 30% do not belong to the vehicle for which the warranty claim was filed. We have traceability files that match the identification number of the TPM with the V.I.N of the vehicle it was installed on. We also take into consideration whether wheel changes took place or accessory wheels were added.

The problem this presents to us is if we don’t have the proper part, we cannot investigate the cause for the customer complaint. Please assure that when a TPM is replaced under warranty that the part is held and tagged with the correct V.I.N. of the vehicle it came from. Wrong parts may be subject to a dealer feedback which could generate a warranty claim debit.

Also, if the customer complaint is that the tire pressure monitoring system indicates dashes for either of the rear tires, be sure to refer to PIC5604B. It is suggested that a copy of this PI be provided to your Technicians that perform diagnostics and repairs on TPM system related customer complaints.

Your effort to insure the correct parts are returned will allow us to expediently address customer complaints and in turn improve customer satisfaction.

Date: March 29, 2012
Subject Tire Pressure Monitor System Diagnostic Trouble Codes
Models: All 2012 Passenger Cars and Trucks
To: All Dealers
Attention: General Managers, Service Managers, and Parts Managers

In follow-up to a message pertaining to tire pressure monitors (TPMs) sent out in January, we continue to struggle with identifying the cause of the problem on many parts returned.

The purpose of this message is to request that whenever you change a TPM, if a current DTC or one stored in history is present, please note that DTC code on the repair order that is returned with the part. This is critical to identifying the root cause of the system failure.

Your assistance in this request will enable us to implement corrective action more expediently resulting in increased customer satisfaction
Old 09-10-2012, 09:04 PM
ADIBELC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basically the tpms is a remote fob acts in conjunction with the remote control door lock receiver. have you had any issues with the remote not opening door,trunk,hatch or starting?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Garret
Race Director

Thanks for all the replies. I figured I would just have to drive there as it's happening or take a friken picture ! I would ask the dealer what I need to do if they wold actually call me back

And no, I have not had any other issues to go along with this like fob/doors/hatch issues.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

Fill out the E-mail questionnaire you'll receive and tell it like it is! Dealerships seem to take these very seriously and negative experiences can have repercussions.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Garret
Race Director

Originally Posted by rob62
Fill out the E-mail questionnaire you'll receive and tell it like it is! Dealerships seem to take these very seriously and negative experiences can have repercussions.
Ha...I never give out my email due to all the damn spam...so I guess I will not be getting that email
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Garret
Race Director

UPDATE:

So Matt from the dealer finally calls me just now and gives me the sob story about it being a for profit company and if he cannot prove to GM the parts are bad they won't recover the cost. We are talking a part they know is known for issues and $160...WTF. My time and their time is worth more than that !

SO he suggest dropping my car off so they can "work" on it to try to get them to fail...I say so you want to put a few hundred miles on my car to prove a $80 dollar part is really broken? I think not ! He then tells me it's a 1 hour deal per tire to do this and they have a $30,000 machine just to do it, it's not just a 15 minute fix...I'm like great...I don't care how long it takes you to fix the issue.

Well be banter back and forth over scenarios like I'm in the middle of MN and I choose to ignore it and it really fails and I or my passenger get injured due to this $160 in part...then what is GM going to day? Of course...I get the same line of blah blah blah..

So in the end I tell him, when I'm in town next time if it alarms I'm driving directly to the dealer for them to test and "prove" they need to be replaced. They can then replace them. Of course he seems to know all about the left one form my last visit all the sudden and knows they should have replaced that one.

In the end GM and the dealers suck in my book on this one. $160 and the real cost is more like $40 bucks I bet plus time to replace them. How lazy and cheap can you get....it's not like I wanted them to fix an engine issue which is thousands or dollars and tons of time.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

He's full of crap. Do any of these people know how to run a business? THEY could have made this issue so simple and made a customer. I've been in GM and Chrysler dealers often and in the last few months numerous times. I've been told numerous times they have been told to TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER. They can just about do what ever they want within reason and decent explanation. You need one TPMS replaced. They could have just replaced it, made a buck,kept you happy and been done. Cheez what bullcrap.

Last edited by Ketchum; 09-11-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS rant and poor dealership service !

Old 09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

I had this issue in my c5 a couple of times... that car wasn't garage kept like my c6 and when it would get really cold out I would get the same messages always cleared up when I warmed up the tires though.... I'm sure that's not the issue in your case considering it is only Sept
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Nowadays is usually a complete waste of time and energy showing up to a dealer with an intermittent problem. And asking a customer to leave an expensive car for days to see if they can duplicate it is an insult. Unfortunately, they also have a point. But if they already acknowledged the problem before, it's just bad customer service. Finally, in cases like that, a picture should be enough proof for sure, especially on a relatively cheap part like that. So have a cellphone/camera ready to prove the problem.

It's not a big deal, unless it starts happening often. Or when you want to switch to 'competitive mode', or deactivate the nannies, because you can't. The good news is if car didn't throw any codes, it's the sensor for sure. I'd replace it myself before having to leave my car 'for days' at a dealership. I never let dealers drive my cars... the very few times I've taken them to one . Good luck man.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
Ha...I never give out my email due to all the damn spam...so I guess I will not be getting that email
Don't know who your ISP is but with their filters and you using spam filters of your own there should be very little - if any - spam in your inbox. I've been online 21 years... and correspond with more than 200 people around the world. Spam is just not a problem...

Quick Reply: TPMS rant and poor dealership service !