C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice about brake dust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some advice about brake dust.

Ok, I'm that guy that appreciates a clean car and enjoys the challenge of keeping mine that way. That said, the brake dust from my new 2013 GS with black rims is driving me nuts. I drive 25 miles and the rims are taking on a red tint, looks like I have driven down a clay road. Spoke with the dealer and he says that for the first 5000 miles it will dust quite a bit. Asked about switching to ceramic pads and was advised that it would cut down some. My question is, those that have switched to ceramic pads would you say it cut down, 50, 75, 100 percent, any? I've ordered the Pinnacle wheel cleaner and brush in hopes that it makes the cleaning easier. Have to roll the car forward while cleaning because of the lack of space between the caliber and rim, on the front. Also, I don't know what the factory uses, but did you use the one piece pads or go with the multiple pad setup? If you made the switch give me your input and no I don't have pictures. I can't stand looking at it enough to take pictures.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

On my last 3 Corvettes, the first thing I did was go to Ceramic Pads. I know what you are talking about, the way the OEM pads discolor the wheels. The Ceramics do not get rid of all the dust but the Ceramic Pads will get rid of most of the dust. I do not race my car at all, just everyday driving. If you are going to race it, I will leave someone else to comment about Ceramics and racing. Congrats on the new car. I have had no problems with my Ceramic Pads at all. There is a spray that you can apply to your wheels and it will help the dust not sticking to your wheels. I think its an Armorall product. I just cant recall the name right now.

Last edited by PaulB; 10-09-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

Sorry, should of added that, this car won't see the track. It's just for our weekend touring enjoyment. I've also read the searches about waxing the rim and plan on doing that to aid in the cleaning. Just thought I would seek some first hand experience about he issue. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

+1 on ceramic pads. Now the wheels get only as dirty as fast as the rest of the car. And no more squealing.

I went with Carbotech 1 piece pads. Also with Carbotech you can switch out to a race pad if you want to go racing and not have to worry about cleaning up the rotors as the pad material is compatible.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

GS brake dust is a way of life,I don't complain about it I clean it. Every time I drive my car it gets wiped down with detail spray along with the wheels. Cleaning the barrels every couple weeks I use Simple Green and a long handle brush....spray with hose,brush,rinse then blow dry with leaf blower and wipe with micro fiber.

Before.....

After.....

Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

On my base coupe that I traded in of the GS, I never noticed the barrels. But seeing how dirty they get now really opened my eyes the difference being clean makes. Looks like ceramic is they way I need to go. Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once again I can not more strongly recommend Porterfield R4S pads...extremely low dust, excellent bite and no squeal and since you are not tracking they are perfect for you use. I drive to events/gatherings and bar none everyone is amazed at the almost non existence of dust and if there is mainly stuff coming off the road. Really should consider Porterfield pads>>

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com
Old 10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogkiller106
My question is, those that have switched to ceramic pads would you say it cut down, 50, 75, 100 percent, any?
id say about 90%. I was in your boat pulling my hair out that the rims had to be wiped every time I drove it. Switched to posi quite's (sp?) and havent looked back. Best thing ive done to the car, now I can drive it several times before even seeing any brake dust. I got the pads off amazon, front and rear for around 240 shipped..........
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

AC Delco ceramics. cheap, quiet, decent wear, big dust reduction.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Once again I can not more strongly recommend Porterfield R4S pads...extremely low dust, excellent bite and no squeal and since you are not tracking they are perfect for you use. I drive to events/gatherings and bar none everyone is amazed at the almost non existence of dust and if there is mainly stuff coming off the road. Really should consider Porterfield pads>>

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com
Tried, but Corvette does not come up under the Chevrolet tab....do you have a part #? thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

The dust is obscene for the first couple thousand miles. Then its only, really, really bad.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Agree with everything that has been said here. The dealer who says it will improve after 5000 miles is blowing brakedust up your a$$. It won't improve - at all. The pad material is the same throughout the pad - how would it improve? Ceramic pads ARE the way to go - I'd say they cut dust down 90+ percent for me. No squealing either. This isn't unique to Corvettes - BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. all have the dusting issue unless you change to ceramics. Easy change also - do it yourself.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

gm makes ceramic pads that gets rid of most of the dust.if not change them with hawk ceramic pads.my 2012 gs has black wheels and after 20 miles they turned **** brown.tried armorall wheel protectent and nada.did not help.changed the pads at 2500 miles and much better.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

On our Z51, using Rjex on the wheels allows the brake dust to be easily removed with just a touchless car wash, instead of scrubbing.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

Any advantage going with the 1 piece pad over the 12 piece set up? And was really shocked at how many cleaning products are availble for wheel and tire care from Autogeek.

Last edited by Hogkiller106; 10-09-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Any advantage going with the 1 piece pad over the 12 piece set up? And was really shocked at how many cleaning products are availble for wheel and tire care from Autogeek.
1 piece set up is alot more money,and not that much better.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ebf2k
+1 on ceramic pads. Now the wheels get only as dirty as fast as the rest of the car. And no more squealing.

I went with Carbotech 1 piece pads. Also with Carbotech you can switch out to a race pad if you want to go racing and not have to worry about cleaning up the rotors as the pad material is compatible.

I have the same pads, (thanks previous owner) hardly any dust at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice about brake dust.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

if you keep them waxed and hit them with detail spray from time to time, the dirt and brake dust will flow right off simply by washing with your favorite car wash soap. you don't really need all those products.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

Some of the sites don't offer their pads in 2013 models. Are the 2012 pads the same for the 2013's? I don't recall reading or hearing about any changes between the model year. No more dumb questions and thanks again. The wealth of information is exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dklowrider
if you keep them waxed and hit them with detail spray from time to time, the dirt and brake dust will flow right off simply by washing with your favorite car wash soap. you don't really need all those products.
I used a sealant on mine and all I do is wipe them down with a wet paper towel between monthly washes and they look good

Quick Reply: Need some advice about brake dust.