C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lab Test on My Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Lab Test on My Power Steering Fluid

2009 Coupe, A6, now at 51k miles
In another thread, I posted how the transmision and differential fluids had been replaced at about 7k miles, and then again recently at about 50k miles; using normal GM fluids. As tested by Blackstone Labs on the recent drain, the diff and tranny fluids were in excellent condition and could easily have gone longer. The engine oil analysis reports are also very good.

The same thing was done on the power steering- drain/refill (twice) around 10k, again at 51k, GM fluid. Today I got the results from testing the power steering fluid and they were not as good:

"We don't test a lot of power steering fluids, but of those we have tested, their average wear is listed in the universal average file. Averages are based on about 18,000 miles on the "oil". In comparison, there's more metal in your sample. Iron is from steel parts. This may just be accumulation from many miles of use. Silicon is probably from silicone sealers, hoses, and tubes. Insolubles show this oil was heavily oxidized from heat and/or use. Based on the slightly elevated iron and insolubles readings, we suggest about 20,000 miles next time for another look."

Here's some numbers
Mine 41k/Universal 18k:

Iron 187/22
Silicon 31/4

Insolubles 0.3, desired <0.1

This car has the Z51 power steering cooler, and does not get any HPDE or similar use.

On our tin grocery getters, I have the PS fluid changed at around 100k. Maybe I should rethink that.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the info

Are you changing these fluids yourself then sending to the lab or are you taking it somewhere and they change/send it out?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Dealer did the work on engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid.
Trusted independant shop did work on PS.
They all gave me the samples and I mailed in.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip."
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Good info, Jim. Thanks for reporting back to us.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good on you for pursuing the analysis. Considering the lab's result averages are based on approximately 18,000 miles (of usage) and your results were based on approximately 41,000 miles I'd expect significantly higher levels of 'contaminants' from your test sample. There may be other variables as well....brands of power steering fluid used/tested, types of vehicles, operating conditions, etc. Also, I don't know what levels or ranges of 'contaminants' must be reached (and for what duration) before there's a practical, adverse affect to operability.

My take from your findings simply reinforces my long-held belief that clean fresh fluid/oil is preferable to older, dirtier fluid/oil. Whether it's motor oil, transmission fluid or power steering fluid IMO it's better to change oil/fluid more frequently than may be recommended by the manufacturer.

Thanks for making the effort to test the power steering fluid and for sharing the results.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Don't forget Redline and Amsoil both have power steering fluids in synthetic.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny to read this. My power steering fluid is leaking. Seems the fluid reservoir is leaking around it's edges where it's fused, but I can't really tell. Maybe the whole system is not very well designed and deteriorates. We'll see what happens to 20 year old C6's in the future.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:39 PM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Clutch fluid analysis would be interesting!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:44 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One sample does not mean there is a problem. Iron tracks with miles and is the only metal that does. (source: Blackstone) My engine oil iron number has been up and down. The sample could have been screwed if they took it from the bottom of the reservoir. Do oven and do it yourself. Take it off the top. Later! Frank

PS:Forgot to ask what your procedure was for changing the oil?

Last edited by fnsblum; 10-11-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tech
Clutch fluid analysis would be interesting!
If I had a clutch...

I'm one of those shiftless types.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fnsblum
One sample does not mean there is a problem. Iron tracks with miles and is the only metal that does. (source: Blackstone) My engine oil iron number has been up and down. The sample could have been screwed if they took it from the bottom of the reservoir. Do oven and do it yourself. Take it off the top. Later! Frank

PS:Forgot to ask what your procedure was for changing the oil?
We used the Service Manual procedure for the "flush":

Remove the return line to the PS reservoir, and plug the reservoir hole.
Put the end of the return line in a clean container (we used a clean plastic bottle).
With engine OFF, one guy turns the steering lock-to-lock while another guy keeps pouring PS fluid into the reservoir, never letting it go empty.

My sample was from the beginning of the "flush" because I didn't want new fluid to be mixing with the old. That may have produced more metal in the fluid, but IIRC the system is constantly circulating while driving and the car had been shut down within an hour, so I think the sample is reasonably valid.

I plan to do the next "flush" and sample at about 75k miles, we'll see how that works out in a couple of years.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I took out the factory stuff a long time ago and put in Redline powersteering fluid in with no problems for years now. Also have a filter in line added.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for providing this...I have to admit that power steering fluid is generally not something I ponder much.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted to use the Ranger method to change out PS fluid? What do you use for PS fluid?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Thanks for providing this...I have to admit that power steering fluid is generally not something I ponder much.

I'm curious if anyone has attempted to use the Ranger method to change out PS fluid? What do you use for PS fluid?
Most people overlook the power steering fluid. Maybe it is the most neglected fluid.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Good information.

And this is the one fluid I admittedly fall short on regarding change.

I need to rethink also!

We all know that mechanical components will wear. The crucial thinking here for me is a cost effective wear timeline regarding changing fluids vs wear indicators. I think that the crux of this thread is poignant for reminding us about the power steering fluid which on my part is usually changed near 80,000 mile mark.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Good information.

And this is the one fluid I admittedly fall short on regarding change.

I need to rethink also!

We all know that mechanical components will wear. The crucial thinking here for me is a cost effective wear timeline regarding changing fluids vs wear indicators. I think that the crux of this thread is poignant for reminding us about the power steering fluid which on my part is usually changed near 80,000 mile mark.
There is no set interval on this as far as I know just like the rear end diff. If it's easy enough change fluid based on color and age.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ram air
Don't forget Redline and Amsoil both have power steering fluids in synthetic.
AMSOIL Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (Product Code PSFCN)

Jim - thanks for the info. Generally change out my power steering fluid once a year with an engine swap (I have two engines and have been swapping them back and forth). Just made me feel better knowing there was new fluid in there. Your info leads me to believe the effort has been worth it. And now I too am thinking about my daily drivers...

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Lab Test on My Power Steering Fluid

Quick Reply: Lab Test on My Power Steering Fluid