C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake, clutch and differential fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
WannagetaZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake, clutch and differential fluid change

No where in the owners manual does it state how often one should change the brake, clutch and differential fluids in the car. Just says to "check" and add as needed.
Does anyone have any experience with these services...?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

The clutch is the Ranger method every couple of months or as used hard. The brakes after any track day or at least every two years if no track. The differential I do after 3-5000 mls as there is no filter and there is alot of meshing going on. This is only initially after break in. Then again more frequently if you track or if not 30-50K after initial flush.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
WannagetaZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
The clutch is the Ranger method every couple of months or as used hard. The brakes after any track day or at least every two years if no track. The differential I do after 3-5000 mls as there is no filter and there is alot of meshing going on. This is only initially after break in. Then again more frequently if you track or if not 30-50K after initial flush.
Any reason why GM does not put this type of information in the owners manual...?

This would seem very important. I have not bought a GM product in over 30 years, so I am not up to date on their protcol on how much info they share vs. wanting you to go to the dealership all the time and learn by paying for tons of service, some that you do not need.

Would you know where I could find instructions on how to change out the clutch fluid...? Is it a simple suction tube out, and refill with new...? How much of the fluid will I capture using that method...?
Thanks you for your insight on my questions.
PS - the diff oil was changed at around 6,000 miles at my request, due to the fact the car was bought at 4-1/2 years old from new, with NO record of any fluid changes, (other than oil before I took ownership).... All fluids were done then, so i can start new.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 AM
joeflylow
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an A.O. '09 Z06; in the owners manual on p 6-7 it says every two years for the clutch fluid.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:38 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

No idea why GM does any of the things they do. But every German car I have owned says two years on brake fluid and from the color of it and the abuse the brakes get I can see why. I do the same thing when I get a used car I do all the fluids. All of my Z's except one was new. I have read of many guys having the dreaded whine from improper break in of the diff. Alot of guys think 500 miles and my car is broken in. Not so. The trans and rear take up to 1000 miles. I have had my rear diff replaced on other cars and it come w/ specific instructions on how to break in for long life. 25 miles no high speed, then stop and let cool for 30 minutes. 25 miles no high speed then drop the fluid. Yep it was sparkly. Meshing. Now the machining of our diffs new is much better and that is not needed but it still meshes. Dropping the fluid after 1000 miles is good preventive maintenance. Will you have problem if you don't, I doubt it. The whine is usually from improper break in meaning high speed too soon. As I said the first drop is the important one after that do as you use it. Normal use you are good for years just do oil , clutch and brake fluid. Search the "Ranger method" for the clutch as it is very easy and will take less than 30 min. Use a good DOT 3 or 4 if you track. This keeps the clutch working well which is a poor design on these cars. From what you said there is no need to do your diff again unless your a track monster. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM
joeflylow
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

just to clarify it is section 6 (maintenance) page 7 [of that section].

Get notified of new replies

To Brake, clutch and differential fluid change

Quick Reply: Brake, clutch and differential fluid change