C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
b09676
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can anyone post a similar DIY process for the newer Vettes please?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Dan Parker '96
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this last night for both my '08 fobs. Pop your key loose and slide it out about 3/4 of the way and give it a bit of a twist. Both my fobs popped apart easily. Replace battery with CR-2032 (negative side up). Line everything up (especially the key release tab) and snap together with fingers. My circuit boards stayed in place but make sure all pieces align correctly. As always YMMV, don't force anything and be patient.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Crystal Dream
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did my 08 fobs yesterday. The dime and quarter had no effect other than to chew up the inside plastic. Take a sharp thin knife and run it into the crack along one side, making sure it's in to a depth of a couple of mm, then gently twist the knife until the case opens. Easy, fast, and no damage to the case...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Rez90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Parker '96
Just did this last night for both my '08 fobs. Pop your key loose and slide it out about 3/4 of the way and give it a bit of a twist. Both my fobs popped apart easily. Replace battery with CR-2032 (negative side up). Line everything up (especially the key release tab) and snap together with fingers. My circuit boards stayed in place but make sure all pieces align correctly. As always YMMV, don't force anything and be patient.
This worked. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 AM
steventx
Intermediate

Default awesome thread

just wanted to say "kudos to you man". Excellent. As a newbie vette owner, viewing threads like yours are so helpful and truly appreciated. Ive already learned SO much just by reading what cool "vet vets" like yourself post. thanks again and godSPEED!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by steventx
just wanted to say "kudos to you man". Excellent. As a newbie vette owner, viewing threads like yours are so helpful and truly appreciated. Ive already learned SO much just by reading what cool "vet vets" like yourself post. thanks again and godSPEED!
Thank you Sir!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by b09676
Can anyone post a similar DIY process for the newer Vettes please?
post 6 & 7 may help
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=3232304
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

GREAT info!!!! I have seat memory problems, can low battery be part of this problem?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Vette junkie
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 69 Posts

One more suggestion. Keep two new batteries in the glove box at all times. Uncovered my car the other day for the season. The door would not open. Tried the other FOB, no luck. Unlocked the hatch with the key, pulled the door release cable and opened the door. Off went the alarm, but the start button did not light up green so no start.

Now this was not a major problem since I jumped in the SUV and picked up new batteries at the Battery Plus store. Batteries showed 2.8 volts which they said = DEAD! Went home, replaced the batteries in both FOB's and I'm back in business.

Now that all worked fine because the car was dead in my garage with two other vehicles and three motorcycles available to run up and buy new batteries. No big deal. By the way, new batteries will read 3.25 volts fresh out of the pack.

Now let's assume the FOB died in the middle of Timbuktu. I would have been SOL and going nowhere unless I had fresh batteries in the glove box which I could get to by using the process described in paragraph #1

If your door fails to open on the first try sometimes or the hatch doesn't open now and then without a repeat try, your batteries are weak and replace them or be prepared to start walking.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

I just put a Radio Shack battery in my 3 year old remote (Grand Sport) used a small thin paring knife and took about 30 seconds. Works fine now. Not sure why anybody has problems came apart pretty easy
Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
MelAnn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette junkie
One more suggestion. Keep two new batteries in the glove box at all times. Uncovered my car the other day for the season. The door would not open. Tried the other FOB, no luck. Unlocked the hatch with the key, pulled the door release cable and opened the door. Off went the alarm, but the start button did not light up green so no start.
I keep 2 new batteries in the "cubby" in the trunk. That way you don't have to open the door.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
mgtr
Pro

Over the years, I have found that flowers, champagne, and a little sweet talk will generally open the tightest things.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dan Parker '96
This worked for me for my 2012 Grand Sport! The dime and butter knife we're working at all.

I can't believe the battery died after a little over 1.5 years. I had to put the fob in the glove box just now to get home from the gym b/c car didn't recognize fob. I bought 2 batteries just a few months ago after reading all the fob horror stories and they came in handy this morning!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 AM
stingray06
8th Gear

Perfect advice.. I own a 2006.. In normal use how long is the life expectancy of a "FOB" Battery?? Thank you... Jim
Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by stingray06
Perfect advice.. I own a 2006.. In normal use how long is the life expectancy of a "FOB" Battery?? Thank you... Jim
My battery failed when the car was 5 years old, of course how much it's used and how it is stored (hot, cold, room temp) will all have an impact on battery life. I recommend you change every 3-4 years.

John
Old 05-12-2013, 01:09 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

I found this thread because I was having problems opening the doors in the '08. It was intermittent so I thought that maybe it was radio interference/Wi-Fi/wireless phone transmitter from my house as even fob #2 (never used) wouldn't work either. Then it wouldn't work when I was well away from the house. Finally just went and bought 2 new batteries, put them in and all's well again. I tested the old ones and fob#1 was at 2.2v and #2 at 2.5v.

I was a little hesitant with all the horror stories all over the web, (having to reprogram, both fobs unusable, broken cases) but they opened rather easily. I used a very small eyeglass screwdriver to get it opened enough to get a butter knife in and do the heavier work.

Thanks for the instructions and tips.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphMan2
I found this thread because I was having problems opening the doors in the '08. It was intermittent so I thought that maybe it was radio interference/Wi-Fi/wireless phone transmitter from my house as even fob #2 (never used) wouldn't work either. Then it wouldn't work when I was well away from the house. Finally just went and bought 2 new batteries, put them in and all's well again. I tested the old ones and fob#1 was at 2.2v and #2 at 2.5v.

I was a little hesitant with all the horror stories all over the web, (having to reprogram, both fobs unusable, broken cases) but they opened rather easily. I used a very small eyeglass screwdriver to get it opened enough to get a butter knife in and do the heavier work.

Thanks for the instructions and tips.
I am getting "No FOB detected" when trying to start car or when shutting it off and also entry to doors. Mine is a 2005 which has a different FOB. Problem with mine is I have already replaced both FOBs but notice now that the seal is broken so it may not be making full contact unless I push FOB together even though I have it in one of those rubber case protectors that helps keep the whole FOB intact. I am going down to get new CR 2032 batteries to replace because it has been a few years since replaced and even before with the plastic cover FOB not fully snapped in this condition it worked fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY

Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM
2008 Atomic Orange
Racer

Thanks for the info---Great pics. and hints Year 2008
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 PM
2008 Atomic Orange
Racer

Thanks for info and hints---My year 2008
Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbride
My battery failed when the car was 5 years old, of course how much it's used and how it is stored (hot, cold, room temp) will all have an impact on battery life. I recommend you change every 3-4 years.

John
Still on original 2005 battery. Just had it load tested and it passed again. I have minimal options and electronics no HUD, memory seats, or navigation. I wonder if this contributes to battery longetivity?

Quick Reply: Key Fob Battery Replacement DIY