C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will ZR1/Z06 Factory Carbon Roof fit a Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM
EACars
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will ZR1/Z06 Factory Carbon Roof fit a Grand Sport?

Hey I'm new to this forum. I sell and build custom cars for clients and I'm working on a Vette build right now. I'm needing a carbon fiber targa roof and halo to put on a Grand Sport I'm building. My GM dealer shows the two parts available but he says that support will not tell them if they will fit on the GS. Does anyone know if this will work?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EACars
Hey I'm new to this forum. I sell and build custom cars for clients and I'm working on a Vette build right now. I'm needing a carbon fiber targa roof and halo to put on a Grand Sport I'm building. My GM dealer shows the two parts available but he says that support will not tell them if they will fit on the GS. Does anyone know if this will work?
Neither the ZR1 nor the Z06 has a removeable Targa top.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EACars
In short, yes.

The halo should be a direct replacement. You will need a gasket for the rear hatch if you replace the halo. You should be able to tell what gasket/dust guard by looking at the existing car. Put the gasket on before you replace the rear hatch.

The roof is a little tricky. The ZR1 roof is not meant to be removed like with the GS. You can purchase the ZR1 carbon piece and replace the GS piece while reusing the GS removable structural piece. The roof part is held down with an adhesive. Pulling the headliner should shed light on what you'll need to do.

May find it better to use overlays. Easier and much less expensive. Depends on your customer; I'd never do an overlay personally. If you get real replacements, make sure to look at them very closely when delivered to ID scratches if present. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, it never occurred to me that you might be grafting a Z06 roof skin onto the targa of a GS.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Of course it will....cash talks.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by shaimerej
In short, yes.

The halo should be a direct replacement. You will need a gasket for the rear hatch if you replace the halo. You should be able to tell what gasket/dust guard by looking at the existing car. Put the gasket on before you replace the rear hatch.

The roof is a little tricky. The ZR1 roof is not meant to be removed like with the GS. You can purchase the ZR1 carbon piece and replace the GS piece while reusing the GS removable structural piece. The roof part is held down with an adhesive. Pulling the headliner should shed light on what you'll need to do.

May find it better to use overlays. Easier and much less expensive. Depends on your customer; I'd never do an overlay personally. If you get real replacements, make sure to look at them very closely when delivered to ID scratches if present. Good luck!
This is a pretty complete answer for you.

The physical dimensions of the roof panel opening are the same across the models. The Z06/ZR1 roof panel have added hardware attached to the B pillar halo to allow them to be bolted on instead of latched on. These are basically two L shaped brackets welded to the structure and the magnesium frame for the Z06/ZR1 panel has attachment points so the frame differs just a little.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Now that's a man who knows what he's talking about.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
EACars
3rd Gear

Wow, great to hear people who know what there talking about even if there are a few in the mix that don't :-) I haven't been able to get that much info from the 8 Chevy dealers I've talked to. Thanks for all the info, I knew that the halos and windshield were all the same and my GM diagram didn't show me exact size and hardware specs. I mainly deal w/ classic car and euro exotics and have personally never had a ZR1 for sale but it all looked like it should work from the little bit of info I had. Looks like I'm going to get a panel to put on top of the existing targa, seems to be the easiest solution. I'll post a link to the car when it's done, thanks again for all the info.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
This is a pretty complete answer for you.

The physical dimensions of the roof panel opening are the same across the models. The Z06/ZR1 roof panel have added hardware attached to the B pillar halo to allow them to be bolted on instead of latched on. These are basically two L shaped brackets welded to the structure and the magnesium frame for the Z06/ZR1 panel has attachment points so the frame differs just a little.
Paul perfect explanation as a few in our area have done the CF and not forum members.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 276 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

It might be interesting if you can post progress pix as you go. I'm sure there are some who would be interested in seeing how it is done.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
EACars
3rd Gear

I'll post some pics of the car next week but I'm not going to have time to go through the reconstruction of the roof panels, I have to get the car out of my shop next week. I'm just going to Matte wrap the factory halo and targa. My customer wants a look like the Z06X Sema car and ZR1. There are Vette places online that show they have CF roofs for Grand Sports but when you want to order them you find out they don't seem to know if they really fit.... One little bump in a projects road, there are always a few of those :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Will ZR1/Z06 Factory Carbon Roof fit a Grand Sport?

Quick Reply: Will ZR1/Z06 Factory Carbon Roof fit a Grand Sport?