C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opening drain plug on 06 radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Dkay
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default opening drain plug on 06 radiator

am going to service my 06 cooling system- what is the proceedure to drain coolant- how do you open the plug- are there any issues with it resealing properly?- how much new coolant should I add? - first time I have done this - has 7200 miles- never done a plastic radiator - also have 79 vette which is all brass which is easy - thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkay
am going to service my 06 cooling system- what is the proceedure to drain coolant- how do you open the plug- are there any issues with it resealing properly?- how much new coolant should I add? - first time I have done this - has 7200 miles- never done a plastic radiator - also have 79 vette which is all brass which is easy - thanks in advance
I watched dealership do mine and the drain **** is on the passenger side on 2005. All they did was drain what was in car and replaced it with exact same amount. I supplied my own fluid Amsoil. This is easy enough to do yourself is what they told me.

Last edited by LS WON; 10-28-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
I watched dealership do mine and the drain **** is on the passenger side on 2005. All they did was drain what was in car and replaced it with exact same amount. I supplied my own fluid Amsoil. This is easy enough to do yourself is what they told me.
Draining only the radiator leaves a good % of the original coolant in the block & expansion tank. It's tough to flush the cooling system completely, but to be somewhat more thorough, you can drain the radiator; remove & drain the expansion tank; refill the system with distilled water (to prevent any minerals/chemicals in your water from attacking the radiator core); run the engine until full hot (thermostat open). Let it cool; drain the radiator & expansion tank again; add Dexcool & water to fill; run the engine again to hot; finally add whatever amount of distilled water is needed to bring coolant level full up. This is more work, but IMHO is more effective.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I let my servicing dealer use their flushing system. Pumps the old out and new in.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extremely easy to do. Drain **** will open by hand. Just did this on my 07. Could not be easier. Takes forever to drain though due to large cooling capacity. Make sure you have a large pan to catch the coolant.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saplumr
I let my servicing dealer use their flushing system. Pumps the old out and new in.
They don't allow this in California.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They don't allow this in California.
For what reason? The closed system captures the old as the new is pumped in.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saplumr
For what reason? The closed system captures the old as the new is pumped in.
Don't know the reason but its the law per shops I have gone to. California has all kinds of stupid laws and is not an auto friendly state.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:07 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't know the reason but its the law per shops I have gone to. California has all kinds of stupid laws and is not an auto friendly state.
Next dumb question...how are you allowed to recover the antifreeze?

Get notified of new replies

To opening drain plug on 06 radiator

Quick Reply: opening drain plug on 06 radiator