C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grand sport low on oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
popbluff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default grand sport low on oil

had the oil changed on my 12 grand sport 6 speed, 2000 miles ago, noticed today some engine noise, like bearing noise, checked the oil and it showed none on stick, got book out and it called for 10.5 quartes, called the oil change place and they only put 6 quarts in it, questions is, with dry sump are my bearings gone in the car, or does the dry sump save it, always had oil pressure in the good range,
Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

you didn't properly check the oil level immediately after the oil change ? and then drove 2K mi's with 57% of the required amount of oil in the system ?
doesn't sound good to me...
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
you didn't properly check the oil level immediately after the oil change ? and then drove 2K mi's with 57% of the required amount of oil in the system ?
doesn't sound good to me...

Hopefully you have the receipt for that oil change......someone is going to be paying for a new engine.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes Good luck.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Yep, that one is toast. Sorry that happened to you.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So...........let me be the first to ask. Who the heck did the oil change????
Old 10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're hearing bearing noise, chances are there's some damage. I'd definitely have that looked into to. I either change the oil myself, or have the dealer do it. Might be a few more bucks, but feel it's worth it. Friend of mine changed his family cars oil at a quicky lube before a vacation, and place forgot to drain the old oil. Messed up the engine bearings pretty bad. Place ended up rebuilding the engine, and paid for the trip rental car. Was an out of town shop, so who knows.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by popbluff
had the oil changed on my 12 grand sport 6 speed, 2000 miles ago, noticed today some engine noise, like bearing noise, checked the oil and it showed none on stick, got book out and it called for 10.5 quartes, called the oil change place and they only put 6 quarts in it, questions is, with dry sump are my bearings gone in the car, or does the dry sump save it, always had oil pressure in the good range,
It was asked earlier, who did the oil change? Sounds like they will be paying for an engine rebuild.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
popbluff
Racer

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So...........let me be the first to ask. Who the heck did the oil change????
local valveoline dealer, they put 6 in and checked it, said ok, called them and they said there computor still only says 6 quarts, this is my first dry sump set up, had no reason to recheck, saw them put oil in, but after some engine noise checked and was none on stick, have added the other 4.5 quarts and engine sounds better, it never lost oil pressure or had any lights come on, am taking it back to them and having them rechange oil and will take the filter to a shop to cut open and check for metAL
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

The GS coupe w/manual transmission has an LS3 with a dry-sump system requiring 10.5 qts w/filter. Your shop looked-up the incorrect engine specifications. But, as the vehicle owner, you should have been familiar with the system's design & requirements. It's all right in the owners manual; no technical shop manuals needed.

Dealers have screwed-up dry-sump system oil changes as well. Several horrific episodes have been reported here on the CF...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 10-30-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

local valveoline dealer, they put 6 in and checked it, said ok, called them and they said there computor still only says 6 quarts, this is my first dry sump set up, had no reason to recheck, saw them put oil in, but after some engine noise checked and was none on stick, have added the other 4.5 quarts and engine sounds better, it never lost oil pressure or had any lights come on, am taking it back to them and having them rechange oil and will take the filter to a shop to cut open and check for metAL
Although its a good idea to check the oil after a oil change, I don't blame you at all for this mess. You paid for a service and it was the responsibility of the shop to do it correctly. I would have this documented and talk to your dealer and ask them what they recommend you do in this situation.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy shiiii, that motor is toast man...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

This happened to a buddy of mine in his Z06. Local shops have no idea and are completely clueless when it comes to dry sump oil changes. You should have done your research before attempting to let a Valvoline shop change your oil.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

You should have got an "add engine oil" message on the DIC if it was too low. I got that message when it was 1.5 quarts too low. Did you not get this message on your DIC?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Hopefully, permanent damage has been/can be avoided.

True Story- A few years back the first Dealer oil change on the GS. After about an hour the "service advisor" comes out with a big grin on his face. "Guess what, your Car took almost eleven quarts of oil"! Well, no s#$t Sherlock.

Moral- Always check the oil level after the change; never take an oil change for granted.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

If you never lost oil pressure, no damage was done...it's that simple. You had ~60% of the oil still in there, you shouldn't have lost oil pressure. I lost 4 of 6 quarts in both of the big block engines in my boat and lost oil pressure at about 3300 RPM with 33% of the required oil or only two quarts! I throttled back to 2000 RPM, oil pressure returned, and we made it home safely. Didn't have any more problems with either engine the rest of the year and when I tore them down the next year, there was zero damage to the bearings or anything else!

Taking the filter to a shop to cut open and inspect is a good idea. I hope they don't find anything and they shouldn't.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
popbluff
Racer

Originally Posted by glass slipper
If you never lost oil pressure, no damage was done...it's that simple. You had ~60% of the oil still in there, you shouldn't have lost oil pressure. I lost 4 of 6 quarts in both of the big block engines in my boat and lost oil pressure at about 3300 RPM with 33% of the required oil or only two quarts! I throttled back to 2000 RPM, oil pressure returned, and we made it home safely. Didn't have any more problems with either engine the rest of the year and when I tore them down the next year, there was zero damage to the bearings or anything else!

Taking the filter to a shop to cut open and inspect is a good idea. I hope they don't find anything and they shouldn't.
there we go, the best idea, i'll take it back to the oil shop, have them rechange the oil and filter, put filter in baggie and have it checked for problems, no lights came on and oil pressure gauge did not suggest i had a problem, my tears have come and gone and am now thinking with a clear head, thanks guys for the great advice, always good to think things over with guys that know what they are doing,

Get notified of new replies

To grand sport low on oil

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper

I agree with the above especially if the miles you drove after the oil change were only street miles. If you took the car to the track where you need all the oil in high g turns then you could possibly damage some bearing surfaces.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I think you will be ok. All that extra oil in the dry sumps is for race track driving. Nothing different in the automatics and 6 speed engines. I think since you had a "normal" amount of oil for non race track driving you will be ok. I would still take a sample of the oil and the oil filter and have them checked for anything that might be a problem. You should be present under the car when that oil sample is taken if you take it back to the same place. You should also send the oil sample and the filter in yourself not thru them. If they want to send it in, tell them to get their own sample and send it in.
Good luck with all this, keep us posted.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

No way 4.5 quarts low in a 10.5 quart dry sump did damage to the engine unless maybe the engine was being flogged really hard. If there was any noise maybe it was from putting dino oil the thing vs the synthetic?

Quick Reply: grand sport low on oil