C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push the On-star button (make me)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM
mg777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push the On-star button (make me)

Ok so I have called the dealership a couple times with some random questions relating to my new '13 coupe, and every time, whoever talks to me, they casually mention at the end of the conversation, "Oh and can you do me favor and make sure you push that blue Onstar button". Then, today I got an email making sure all has been well with my purchase, and again "Make sure you press the button."

Does the dealership get a litte kick-back from OnStar from every customer that manages to "figure out" how to push the button?

I currently have AAA and am happy with that for road-side assistance and discounts on travel. No plans for On-Star in my future, and Ill have to break this to dealership next time they explain how that buttonw works.

Anyone that has OnStar care to share their opinion of the service?

Last edited by mg777; 11-10-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't push the button unless you need to.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mg777
Ok so I have called the dealership a couple times with some random questions relating to my new '13 coupe, and every time, whoever talks to me, they casually mention at the end of the conversation, "Oh and can you do me favor and make sure you push that blue Onstar button". Then, today I got an email making sure all has been well with my purchase, and again "Make sure you press the button."

Does the dealership get a litte kick-back from OnStar from every customer that manages to "figure out" how to push the button?

I currently have AAA and am happy with that for road-side assistance and discounts on travel. No plans for On-Star in my future, and Ill have to break this to dealership next time they explain how that buttonw works.

I can tell you why the sales people are so insistent on it. Most are on a bonus program with GM, and if they do not get at least 70% of their customers to push the button at delivery, they do not get paid any of their bonus for three months. For a good sales person that could be a couple thousand dollars. Do them a favor, push the button at delivery, then do what ever you want after that.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Push the button, push the button .....
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Not worth paying for it in my case, so will just let it expire. But you have to call to 'opt out' of monitoring your car, which you can confirm with no OnStar red light (the right one) on your mirror. Green means active. Red inactive but car monitored. No light, no communication with your car. I'll call to 'opt out' the moment mine expires in a few days.

EDIT: Saw this is about initial activation. Of course activate it; you already paid for it. It was 9 months on the GS 4LT.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-11-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mg777

You already paid for the service so you might as well push the button. I have OnStar on 3 vehicles. Had it on my 03 Tahoe when I took delivery, updated the Tahoe module when the service went digital about 5 years ago and still have it active on the Tahoe after 10 years. I have the standard plan not the Directions plan. Hard to say whether it is worth it or not but the ability to get codes read, make phone calls in fringe areas where handheld cell phones can't reach cell towers, and the emergency support service are worth it in my opinion. Know two people who had OnStar call support for them after an accident, one of the accidents was particularly violent in a remote area and OnStar made the difference between a quick Vs a slow response.

By the way AAA can't provide the service that you get from the Safe and Sound plan.

Bill
Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should have gotten a 6 month free trial for OnStar...so it costs you nothing to push the button so your salesman can get their bonus.

push the button.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM
09 GMX245
Instructor

They want you to complete the welcome call when you press the Onstar button for the 1st time.
It's no big deal, just press it.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Just because you push the button doesn't mean you buy anything. Is it possible you and your salesman didn't make the original call upon vehicle purchase?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Tom45
Pro

I did push the button and called about a month before it expired and cancelled it. The On-Star person will be very persistent in trying to get you to continue the service. Just keep saying NO!

Also, write down the name of On-Star person you spoke to when you cancel and the date. You may need this if for some reason it doesn't actually get cancelled. I tried to get a cancellation number or an e-mail confirming the cancellation and they wouldn't do it. Fortunately, it did get cancelled
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

I pressed the button. Some annoying salesperson tried to get me to buy more OS service. They were very persistent. After I refused probably 5 times, the salesperson asks: "do you want to give me your credit card number so that we have it on file?" I am not kidding. Yes, this is after I refused to purchase anything from them.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
incabird
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never gave a credit card number when they asked me. I did not opt for any add-ons or cell minutes. I just purchased a new Silverado and went thru the same sales pitch to buy minutes and extras. I just said no. When the free service ends I just let it run out. No credit card on file and no way to bill you to extend it. No contract and it just goes away.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by incabird
I never gave a credit card number when they asked me. I did not opt for any add-ons or cell minutes. I just purchased a new Silverado and went thru the same sales pitch to buy minutes and extras. I just said no. When the free service ends I just let it run out. No credit card on file and no way to bill you to extend it. No contract and it just goes away.

same thing with satellite radio!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,438 Likes on 781 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I pushed the button, listened to the pitch and then refused to give out my CC info. The only thing I have received from OnStar since is two diagnostic reports via e-mail. I don't need OnStar but it was part of the 1SB package on my 427. Once the trial period is over, it's over with OnStar.

Back when I ordered my 2006, OnStar was a separate option so I could get the 3LT package w/o OnStar.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:41 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

OnStar has never bugged me about renewing. I currently have no subscription.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM
You_Vette_Your_Ass
Drifting

Originally Posted by blitzebill
OnStar has never bugged me about renewing. I currently have no subscription.
You gave them a fake phone number.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by You_Vette_Your_Ass
You gave them a fake phone number.
LOL. Nope just never gave them a CC #.

Get notified of new replies

To Push the On-star button (make me)

Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

Install a CoStar Bluestar unit instead. It links to your cell phone via bluetooth and works with the Onstar buttons on the mirror. You unplug the Onstar VCIM from the LAN buss (in the trunk) and plug the CoStar in it's place. OnStar can no longer monitor your car since its now disconnected, and you still have in car phone service, but it uses your cell phone minutes instead. Cheaper, better, and no privacy issues with OnStar ever monitoring any data from your car again. It even works with Siri on the Iphone. So now you can simply press the OnStar button and ask Siri any question you want, or do voice dialing without ever taking your hands off the wheel. Works like a charm.

There is just no reason to have or use Onstar anymore. It's overpriced and antiquated technology.

Last edited by CSixDude; 11-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

OnStar is hopelessly obsolete. What a lot of people don't know is that the OnStar hardware in your car is very vulnerable. They did not protect it like the black box in a plane. What this means is that if you are in a serious crash where you really need OnStar it will not be there to help you. Shame on GM for continuing to sell this technology where it cannot be relied upon when you need it most.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:48 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Push the button, and before the advisor can get past your name, tell them you will not give them a credit card number, or buy minutes for the phone...watch how quickly your conversation ends

Last edited by JLB768; 11-10-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Push the On-star button (make me)