C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runflats just got me home

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Runflats just got me home

Well, it's what you always wonder about...when will the flat get me? Today it got me at work, and tonight I was the last one leaving at 1am. Got in the car and had a LEFT FRONT TIRE FLAT message greeting me. It occurred to me that this was the only vehicle I have that DOESN'T have a mini pump on board, gonna have to fix that. Had about a 9 mile ride home, did 45 the whole way. There weren't really any gas stations I felt great about stopping at at 1 in the morning, so I just drove on.

I'd never driven on a flat runflat before, and it was a little unnerving at first. It made the typical flat tire sound at low speed, just a buckling rubber sound is the best way to describe it. It pulled slightly to the left, but not a big deal. When I got home, I was surprised to feel how warm the tire was...almost hot, and this on a cool night, about 40 degrees. I know they say you can go 50 miles at 55 miles an hour, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk that. Had I had a pump on board, I could have pumped it up enough to get it home w/out the warning constantly popping up. Good news is I took a look in the garage, and it's just a small nail, just slightly bigger than a finishing nail, stuck right in the middle of the tread pattern, should be a easy fix for Mr Goodyear.

So there you go, they do indeed work

UPDATE:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1582330807-post30.html

Last edited by Vettin08; 11-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

That's worth bragging about?

While the tire is designed to get you to a place to fix the tire, driving on it as you described is not good for the tire. The tire was hot because it didn't like what you did ....
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

It was 1am, what other choice did he have?

Good to know they will go that far, not sure I would have tried it though.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

For all of the complaints about run flats and poor tire compliance that I have heard, I will only buy run flats for my DD vettes.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
It was 1am, what other choice did he have?

Good to know they will go that far, not sure I would have tried it though.

Although I will add, I would not be without a small air compressor and plug kit in any car without a spare.

OP, please let us know if the tire is still repairable. When I had a nail in mine, the first thing they asked before they fixed it was "did you drive on it flat" I didn't, and didn't think to ask if it made a difference in repairing it.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's the point of having runflats on the car if you can't drive on it?

as the OP said it was 1 am, and I would suspect the run flat is designed as stated by the OEM, to be driven carefully, slowly and briefly, which the OP did.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

He felt comfortable driving through the hood with a flat, I would have stopped and put air in it, but that's me. Chances are the tire will be ruined, but then if you're bucks up, have at it. As for alternatives, leave it to the AM and grab a cab, call AAA, call a friend
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by GOLD72
For all of the complaints about run flats and poor tire compliance that I have heard, I will only buy run flats for my DD vettes.
yes, just another story worth reading about runflats, be they good or bad in the eyes of the owners.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
sxs191
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenB

While the tire is designed to get you to a place to fix the tire, driving on it as you described is not good for the tire. The tire was hot because it didn't like what you did ....
I didn't get any impression that the OP was 'bragging' about anything, just giving us his experience with the runflat tires. If a runflat tire can't make it 9 miles then what's the use of having them because I wouldn't consider that distance to be very far in retrospect to getting a flat and the nearest gas station.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sxs191
I didn't get any impression that the OP was 'bragging' about anything, just giving us his experience with the runflat tires. If a runflat tire can't make it 9 miles then what's the use of having them because I wouldn't consider that distance to be very far in retrospect to getting a flat and the nearest gas station.
As stated, it was designed to be driven flat at under 55 mph for 50 miles.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by sxs191
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Silverton34
Advanced

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I have always understood that, yes, it was designed to be driven on, but that would ruin the tire, understand that before you drive on it. It's designed to get you to a safe place.

Now I could be completely wrong and can't remember where this info came from so long ago.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

I use fix a flat!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for posting your experience. I was also wondering how they would perform.

Not sure where the bragging is. glenb must be having a bad day.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

OP, please let us know if the tire is still repairable. When I had a nail in mine, the first thing they asked before they fixed it was "did you drive on it flat" I didn't, and didn't think to ask if it made a difference in repairing it.
It shouldn't have as long as the speed was kept under 55 and driven less than 50 miles.

Originally Posted by blitzebill
what's the point of having runflats on the car if you can't drive on it?

as the OP said it was 1 am, and I would suspect the run flat is designed as stated by the OEM, to be driven carefully, slowly and briefly, which the OP did.
Yep, been there, done that.

Originally Posted by j_digi454
Have done that twice in 8 years.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverton34
I have always understood that, yes, it was designed to be driven on, but that would ruin the tire, understand that before you drive on it. It's designed to get you to a safe place.

Now I could be completely wrong and can't remember where this info came from so long ago.
Don't know where you got this info from but run flats are NOT ruined by driving on them. I had a right rear flat on interstate 95, drove 14 miles to a goodyear store and they repaired the problem. As it turned out, the flat was caused by a bad valve stem seal.
Have not had a front tire flat but the rear tire flat drove much nicer than I had expected. Just for the record, the tire was new when I had the flat.

Get notified of new replies

To Runflats just got me home

Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 Owner Manual said that if you drive less than 25 miles at less than 55 mph, the tire should be repairable if the original damage was not too bad.

Other brands may be different, Firestone says not to repair at all. But many shops just inspect the tire like they would a Goodyear, and repair if practical.

I believe the C5 runflats were good for 50 miles if flat, but they also beat the fillings out of your teeth when inflated.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Runflats do have their purpose. I was driving one day on the freeway and I ran something over. I felt it and next thing I knew, the low tire pressure light came on. I was doing about 75. I slowed down because I was worried but honestly the car felt fine. I drove about 5 miles to the nearest gas station to pump up the tire to see if it will hold air. No chance. There was a hole big enough to almost fit my finger through but the tire was still round. Didn’t even look like it was flat. I then got back in the car, used my GPS to find the closest tire place. About another 3 miles. Drove over and they patched it up.

I was really impressed on how well the runflats with literality no air in the tire. After that day, I seriously contemplated getting another set when the time came…but I eventually went away from the runflats. I figured after 8 years and only 1 flat, I would rather have a better tire for a better overall driving experience versus have a so-so tire that will help me in the off chance of another flat.

Quick Reply: Runflats just got me home