C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing direction in front of me (driver side)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buzzing direction in front of me (driver side)

So for the last few weeks or so I've noticed a buzzing sound. It doensn't seem to be related to the stereo or speed. Turning the volume up or down or on or off doesn't effect it and going different speeds doesn't change it.

It's a constant buzzing sound from what seems to be directly in front of me while driving. It sounds like a sort of electrical type of buzz/hiss or something and if I lean toward the steering wheel it sounds like it's coming from directly in front of me. It's almost as if it's within the steering wheel or somewhere down the column or behind the driver side dash.

It almost sounds like when you turn on a light bulb that's not so good and it has that buzz noise.

Kind of driving me nuts.

At first I thought it might be a bad ipod connection or something stereo related, but as I mentioning even when the radio is off I hear it.

It's one of those things that once you notice it, it drives you nuts.

I've searched about other buzzing noises in the cabin, but it seems they come from all over so trying to see if anyone's had this one in particular.

Really don't want to take to the dealer just to have them scratch their heads. Figured someone might have a clue here and I can investigate.

Thx
Old 11-17-2012, 07:32 PM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

quite a problem with the c6's lately.I'm supprised byhow many have had this problem and GM dealers don't have a clue about it. I found the answer to the problem here on the forum.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...twice-now.html
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I'm thinking is the inside air temp sensor. Listen right where that little vent looking thing is right under the start switch. If it comes loose from where its mounted it will make a buzzing sound.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by EVRose
I'm thinking is the inside air temp sensor. Listen right where that little vent looking thing is right under the start switch. If it comes loose from where its mounted it will make a buzzing sound.
Yes, it's this. If I cover that vent, it muffles the sound a bit.

So I suppose the dealer needs to take a look, fix, replace this thing?

Or is there some way to fix that's not as hard as I think? Thx.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM
EVRose
Race Director

If you take that lower dash panel under the steering wheel off you can see that sensor. It just plugs into the plastic right behind that little vent area. If you wiggle it around and make sure its pressed into place tight the buzzing should go away. Its hard to describe in writing but if you see it you'll get it. If that doesnt work you can get a new sensor and replace it yourself.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:24 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In mine it was the little fan near your knees, behind dash panel. I just pushed on the outlet where the fan was and it got louder.......when I stopped pushing it no longer buzzed. I think it's blades were hitting something. It must be jarred loose. In the spring I'll get under there and secure it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by rgauchey
In mine it was the little fan near your knees, behind dash panel. I just pushed on the outlet where the fan was and it got louder.......when I stopped pushing it no longer buzzed. I think it's blades were hitting something. It must be jarred loose. In the spring I'll get under there and secure it.
Thats the sensor I was talking about. It has a little fan built into it.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just took my GS in for a rattle that was caused by some loose bezel clips on the HUD.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

I'm pretty sure its that fan thing. I tried to pry away the dash area, and got the bottom part out but couldn't manage to get the top out enough to get any type of access.

Was afraid of pulling the whole cluster out and not being able to get it back in place or something.

Get notified of new replies

To Buzzing direction in front of me (driver side)

Quick Reply: Buzzing direction in front of me (driver side)