C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax and then glaze?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM
JMills
Drifting

Received 784 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Wax and then glaze?

Or glaze and then a sealant/wax? I have seen the experts rec. either or!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JMills
if you are applying sealant, it cannot be placed over anything other than bare paint, meaning no wax or polish. So the correct order would be clay, or using an product such as adams all purpose cleaner in your soap to strip off the existing wax. Then sealant, glaze and wax. Really depends on where you are in your detailing process to give the right advise.....but hope that helps.........
Old 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I use swirl remover, polish, sealer and then wax, works great for me.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any glaze is temporary and used for added depth/gloss or covering imperfections. Because it offers no protection and durability it should be applied before a wax but it could interfere with polymer sealants bonding properly.

A good glaze will REALLY bring your car to another level but will quickly be removed.

Keep in mind that some companies use terms ambiguously. A glaze at one company might be a true glaze while a glaze elsewhere might actually contain sealing properties to it and a glaze at a third company might actually have have polishing properties (Meguiar's Speed Glaze) and a "polish" at yet another company might actually be a glaze or a sealant, lol. You really need to know what the product is. The same thing goes for "wax". Some "wax's" are actually synthetic sealants.

For example, one of my favorite products is EZ Creme Glaze from Chemical guys which actually is an acrylic sealant.

A couple TRUE ones are Meguiar's Show Car Glaze or Poorboys Black Hole
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe glazes are old technology. You don't need a glaze to get the look you are seeking with today's better products. Shoot our friends at AutoGeek a message and they'll help you out.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Too much work for what you get! I use Rejex & it's great!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy I work with saw my VY coupe yesterday and was certain that I had just polished or waxed it because it was so shinny! Told him no, it had not been detailed for like 4 months! I only use Rejex and an occasional detail spray.
Car is never waxed or glazed, nothing but clay bar and Rejex.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash, then (Clay Bar if needed), then (Polish/Glaze if needed or desired), then Wax. In this order.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:55 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Too much work for what you get! I use Rejex & it's great!
Do you wax or polish over the Rejex?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I use glaze prior to wax and after the polish. Because mine is not a daily driver and is garaged kept, I don't use a sealant. As far as one product over another, I would say that the main products out there are Adams, Zaino, Rejex and a few others.
I use Adams exclusively and have for over 7 years. It is an easy on and easy off. It was just recently named the official car care products for Corvette and Camaro and it now cares the GM logo.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Wax is last.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many years ago I was told by a detail professional that waxing is a no-no and totally NOT necessary unless your car sits out a lot! Polish is the best thing to do. Mine rarely sits out for more than a few hours at a time but is a DD. There is no need to wax over top of Rejex and the shine on my VY lends proof to that.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally a glaze is what you would put on last to give it that extra POP. A glaze normally has a short life so it is something you would use right before a car show etc.

That said, last year I used Poor Boy's sealant and glaze. They specifically say to use their glaze before their sealant, i.e. they are made to work together that way.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
Normally a glaze is what you would put on last to give it that extra POP. A glaze normally has a short life so it is something you would use right before a car show etc.

That said, last year I used Poor Boy's sealant and glaze. They specifically say to use their glaze before their sealant, i.e. they are made to work together that way.
I agree that in many products the glaze is used to add pop after the wax. I happen to use Adams products and his glaze works best when applied prior to the wax. It cam be used in between waxing to give it that extra pop.
I believe you will find different products have different procedures for their use.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Originally Posted by BWF07
I agree that in many products the glaze is used to add pop after the wax. I happen to use Adams products and his glaze works best when applied prior to the wax. It cam be used in between waxing to give it that extra pop.
I believe you will find different products have different procedures for their use.
Bottom line is read the fine instructions for the specific product(s) you plan to use.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I use swirl remover, polish, sealer and then wax, works great for me.
same here, Auto geek recomends this way. With or with the wax at the end
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Any glaze is temporary and used for added depth/gloss or covering imperfections. Because it offers no protection and durability it should be applied before a wax but it could interfere with polymer sealants bonding properly.

A good glaze will REALLY bring your car to another level but will quickly be removed.

Keep in mind that some companies use terms ambiguously. A glaze at one company might be a true glaze while a glaze elsewhere might actually contain sealing properties to it and a glaze at a third company might actually have have polishing properties (Meguiar's Speed Glaze) and a "polish" at yet another company might actually be a glaze or a sealant, lol. You really need to know what the product is. The same thing goes for "wax". Some "wax's" are actually synthetic sealants.

For example, one of my favorite products is EZ Creme Glaze from Chemical guys which actually is an acrylic sealant.

A couple TRUE ones are Meguiar's Show Car Glaze or Poorboys Black Hole

And it should indeed be noted that some glazes are now sealant compatible. Often times unnecessary due to the gloss of sealants like Blackfire and Wolfgang, but none the less some are compatible.

Get notified of new replies

To Wax and then glaze?

Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JMills
Meguiars has a form that answers all types of questions. If the "glaze" is polish (water based), it goes on last.

Waxes (except synthetics, such as NXT Next Generation) are petroleum based. Most polishes are water based.

Wax stays on after a car wash. Polish is usually removed by a car wash.

I think "glaze" is just another term for "polish".
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

My experience is glaze after wax.

The wax protects and the glaze seems to add some extra shine yet wears off quickly or with the first wash.

Clay, polish, wax, glaze, finish enhancer is my vote.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:00 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Do you wax or polish over the Rejex?
Most of us would not. Rejex, which is a sealer, is plenty shiny all by itself. It is a much better protectant than wax and lasts a heck of a lot longer. Waxing over it destroys the "slickness" that keeps down dust and insects and so forth and makes them so easy to clean off. I would put down two coats of Rejex instead of Rejex followed by wax. But most of us Rejex advocates simply do a Rejex coat twice a year.

Quick Reply: Wax and then glaze?